Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Options

Hi all narrowed it down to a Jayco now whats everyones opinion on which model to for a family of 4- 2 adults and two kids 4 and 6 and dog something that we can grow in and not remortgage our house

Gypsytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Hi and welcome,

This will be tough as this can be subjective. What is not subjective is how much you can safely tow. What will your tow vehicle (TV) be? Do you know it's 'numbers' on towing capabilities?

We have a family of four as well as a large dog. My signature below describes our rig. We like both our TV as well as our TT. It works out well but we really don't do the type of camping where a TT this size is a problem.

Which reminds me, what type of camping will you typically be doing? RV park with full hook-ups or out in the middle of nowhere boondocking? Something in between?

You'll get a lot of opinions once you provide some additional detail...

Good luck on the hunt!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Some other factors include will you be dry camping? Need more water/sewer capacity if you will be parked a while.

Several smaller bunk house models but again, you if you can't pull it then you will have to trade up or settle for smaller.

What is your budget, you might need to go used.

Tell us more about yourselves and what you want to do with the RV.

Also, have you considered going with a popup? Lots of sleeping capacity, easy to tow and relatively low cost.
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #4

Have you ever camped before? If so, what kind of camping, tent, pop-up, travel trailer?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

If you have a starcraft dealership around you, I'd encourage you to check them out. I bought my Jayco and a week later my neighbor got his starcraft. The starcraft has way more options for the same or lesser price than the Jayco plus it is built darn near the same exact way the Jayco is. Other than a couple of brackets and plywood under the beds, I cannot tell the difference. If I had to buy again, I would have sought out a starcraft before making my final purchase decision.

They have a family of four with a stepson that goes every now and then. They purchased the 20MB and it has turned out to be a really nice unit. Black tank flush, medicine cabinet, pass through storage LIGHTING, detachable 30amp plug, heated enclosed underbelly, 30lb propane tanks with a cover power tongue jack, etc... The only thing I have over his is black pleated shades, 2 year warranty. and the plywood....I was actually pretty ticked off after seeing theirs compared to my SLX 264BH.

Don't get me wrong, we are really enjoying our Jayco but I wished I had found the direct competitor starcraft 26BH. Would've 100% gone with the Starcraft
nathan3306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

Talking

Unanswerable.

Me, I'd go with a 26BH. Somebody else would go with a giant 5th wheeler. Plenty of people are happy with a popup.

Depends a lot on how you're going to use it, too. Tow all over the country, or use it up at the lake most of the time.

We chose our 26BH with the hindsight of knowing how well we do in our 28 foot sailboat, and having had a 27 foot trailer some years ago.

We reached our decision by checking out floorpans online and at the dealers.

It's a decision only you can make.

Just don't go too big, and don't go too small
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #7

Meant to add we are a family of five 2 adults and three kids, 10/6/4 plus a 40 pound squirrel hunting machine of a dog... He's a pain once he knows they are at the campsite... Towing with a 04 F-150 5.4 3V 4x4 supercrew lariat. I'm a wee bit overloaded for my truck so make sure you've got the vehicle to do this with.
I would consider the 264BH and my favorite was the 224BH. The 224 Had a large shower, outside kitchen, and actual room to sit down on the toilet. Remember, you'll probably end up hanging towels in the bathroom and those things eat up should space like crazy.
nathan3306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3306 View Post
Meant to add we are a family of five 2 adults and three kids, 10/6/4 plus a 40 pound squirrel hunting machine of a dog... He's a pain once he knows they are at the campsite... Towing with a 04 F-150 5.4 3V 4x4 supercrew lariat. I'm a wee bit overloaded for my truck so make sure you've got the vehicle to do this with.
I would consider the 264BH and my favorite was the 224BH. The 224 Had a large shower, outside kitchen, and actual room to sit down on the toilet. Remember, you'll probably end up hanging towels in the bathroom and those things eat up should space like crazy.
We just got a 224bh.

We had considered the 264bh, but did not like the fact that it was missing the pantry closet which is on the 224bh. So effectively the kitchen on the 264bh has less storage space.

Also, the sink on the 264bh is outside the bathroom, making it less convenient to wash your hands after answering the call of nature, as well as making the bathroom noticeably smaller.

And of course to 264bh is 3 foot longer, making maneuvering in small campgrounds more difficult.

The only things I miss which the 264bh has, are the higher cargo carrying capacity, and the sofa.

Best wishes,
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

I should add that if I were to design my own layout for a Jayco trailer, it would be the 224bh but with a higher cargo carrying capacity, and with the awning covering the external camp kitchen.

Jayco made the awning on the 224bh only 13 foot long, so it does not cover the external camp kitchen which stays out in the open during use.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Under the safely towing..... Bigger is better.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote