Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Our experience with side A/C in HOT! Weather

We just did a loop Denver to Rifle Falls state park, Moab/Arches, Cortez/Mesa Verde. We have the sidewall AC in a 195RB. It kept us very comfortable and we turned it down to about half of max on the knob and used half speed blower.

We do use the foil/bubble wrap to help insulate the windows and reflect light and heat out the single pane windows. High in Moab was 107 with lows in 80s.

I can review campgrounds in all three places if anyone wants the information.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #2

I've only heard a little about the foil/bubble wrap, is that what made it possible for the AC to do a good job even during a lot of heat?

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #3

We are very satisfied with our side air conditioner in our 184BH also.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #4

I originally got the Reflectix brand duct wrap (bubble wrap coated with mylar on both sides) to keep sun out of my camper while stored to reduce fading and sun damage inside. But we left it in while traveling one time and found the inside was much cooler. The we were at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in late fall and it dropped to 30s at night and our heater ran much less. You could just feel the cold roll off the windows when we did not have it in place.
Light weight, takes up little space when not in use, durable and cheap. We won't travel without it! Our pieces are 4 years old and still going strong. Friction of the shades hold the wrap in place while traveling and come out instantly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I originally got the Reflectix brand duct wrap (bubble wrap coated with mylar on both sides) to keep sun out of my camper while stored to reduce fading and sun damage inside. But we left it in while traveling one time and found the inside was much cooler. The we were at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in late fall and it dropped to 30s at night and our heater ran much less. You could just feel the cold roll off the windows when we did not have it in place.
Light weight, takes up little space when not in use, durable and cheap. We won't travel without it! Our pieces are 4 years old and still going strong. Friction of the shades hold the wrap in place while traveling and come out instantly.
Nice I will check into this. Thanks for your info.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #6

Totally different rigs but a less efficient set up I'm about to describe. So I bet y'all have pretty good results.

Me and my ex-wife had a 1985 Palomino Colt. I rigged up basically a table that could fold for transport but attached to the frame at the bottom and sit on a board that ran between the Lift posts. I had a 110 volt air conditioner sitting on that table blowing in through the screen. We folded the plastic part of the screen cover so that most of what was exposed to the outside was just the face of the air conditioner. We had it set up to blow in the kitchen area so that it didn't freeze us at the other end of the camper in the bed. We ran this set up several Summers in humid hot Tennessee and were pretty happy with the performance although the setup was a bit clunky. But it work for what we could afford at the time. I couldn't wait to get a camper where I didn't have to set up the air conditioner. One of the last trip we went on in that camper, I tripped on a root carrying the air conditioner and nearly killed myself.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arches, moab, window ac