Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

Our First little Trip!

We are taking our first 2 day trip in our new 2018 Whitehawk MRB23. Liitle nervous, but we will learn. My only question is the park doesn't have black drain tanks at each site, but a couple in the park. I think I know how to dump the black tank, but my question is do you flush it with clean water after each trip? If so I think it's as simple as hooking the hose up to the flush connection and turn on the water for abit?

Input is appreciated
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
We are taking our first 2 day trip in our new 2018 Whitehawk MRB23. Liitle nervous, but we will learn. My only question is the park doesn't have black drain tanks at each site, but a couple in the park. I think I know how to dump the black tank, but my question is do you flush it with clean water after each trip? If so I think it's as simple as hooking the hose up to the flush connection and turn on the water for abit?

Input is appreciated
Keep both your black and grey tanks closed. When you dump, dump the black tank first than flush the lines with the grey water. You may want to also use your black tank flush if you have one and water available to help flush the tank clean. Remember more water is your friend in the black tank. Flush with plenty of water each time you use the toilet..

Good Luck and Happy camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Thank you, not sure what you mean by flushing with the gray water? Also was advised to have water in the black tank before use, do you just flush the toilet a few times to allow water into the black tank!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Thank you, not sure what you mean by flushing with the gray water? Also was advised to have water in the black tank before use, do you just flush the toilet a few times to allow water into the black tank!
Yes you flush to get 4 - 5 gallons into the black tank before using it, Then use plenty of water at each flush. When you go to dump your tanks, you will have a grey tank, which is your sink and shower water, and your black tank which is your toilet. Normally it uses the same connection for both tanks. Dump your black tank first, than close that tanks value, and open the grey tank value to dump your grey tank. This will flush out the hose from the black tank waste.

If your not familiar with your water and waste system you may want to contact your dealer to go over it again. You may have a black tank flush, which is a separate hose connection from your fresh water hook up. Using a different hose connect the campground water to the black tank flush and when dumping the black tank, turn the black tank flush hose on and it will rinse out the black tank. It may take a few minutes to get all the waste including paper out of the tank. Than turn water off and close the black tank value... Then you proceed with the grey tank dump.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

After the black tank is empty and flushed shut off that valve and open the gray water valve. Don't remove the hose yet!

The grey tank (soapy water) will rinse out the connector and the pipe to the drain in the ground. Same idea if you are hooked up at a site.

Wear disposable rubber gloves (buy a box). After the black is empty try gently lifting the hose starting near the RV and moving any leftovers to the drain.

Repeat with the grey water tank to empty the hose again.

Afterwards, most dump stations have a hose with a nozzle that you can direct into the end of the hose to rinse it with clean water. THIS IS NOT DRINKING WATER. Do not fill your tank with this water.
If this is my last cleanout for the trip I will run my toilet for several gallons and use that as a second rinse when emptying my black tank. I also put in a couple of gallons so I can use on the way home and to rinse the black. I put it in a bucket at home and dispose of there.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yes you flush to get 4 - 5 gallons into the black tank before using it, Then use plenty of water at each flush. When you go to dump your tanks, you will have a grey tank, which is your sink and shower water, and your black tank which is your toilet. Normally it uses the same connection for both tanks. Dump your black tank first, than close that tanks value, and open the grey tank value to dump your grey tank. This will flush out the hose from the black tank waste.

If your not familiar with your water and waste system you may want to contact your dealer to go over it again. You may have a black tank flush, which is a separate hose connection from your fresh water hook up. Using a different hose connect the campground water to the black tank flush and when dumping the black tank, turn the black tank flush hose on and it will rinse out the black tank. It may take a few minutes to get all the waste including paper out of the tank. Than turn water off and close the black tank value... Then you proceed with the grey tank dump.

Good Luck.
Thank you and yes we have a black tank flush.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Many rigs have 2 grey water tanks. one for kitchen and one for shower and lavatory drain. After you drain the black tank and close the valve, pull the grey tank from the kitchen, then close and pull the grey tank from the shower, That will flush the drain hose with the cleanest waste water.

Don't be shy about asking someone if you are not sure about it the first time. We all had a first time!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

We have the same trailer, 23MRB. On your unit...Look underneath where the sewer out let is. You will see two handles. One is for the grey tank (on the left), the other is for the black tank (on the right). You can use your tank flush input (above the outlet about 3' up the side of the trailer, to put 3 - 5 gallons in your black tank prior to leaving home. You also should add some type of waste treatment/sanitizer. When you are ready to dump your tanks, connect your sewer hose to the sewer/dump station at the camp ground. Pull out the BLACK handle on the right and let the tank empty. If you have a black tank hose (do not use your white city water hose), connect this hose to the flush input and start the water. You will be able to see when the waste stops coming out. BTW, your water should have a color to it if you put in a sewer treatment. When empty, close the black valve. Then, pull out the grey handle on the left and let the water drain. If you have a clear 45 degree connection you can watch the "grey water" empty.
If you have a problem feel free to call, I gave you my phone number in a private message. I usually fill and flush my tanks completely before I leave a campground; if there are not a lot of people behind me waiting to use the dump station. Hope this helps.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
We have the same trailer, 23MRB. On your unit...Look underneath where the sewer out let is. You will see two handles. One is for the grey tank (on the left), the other is for the black tank (on the right). You can use your tank flush input (above the outlet about 3' up the side of the trailer, to put 3 - 5 gallons in your black tank prior to leaving home. You also should add some type of waste treatment/sanitizer. When you are ready to dump your tanks, connect your sewer hose to the sewer/dump station at the camp ground. Pull out the BLACK handle on the right and let the tank empty. If you have a black tank hose (do not use your white city water hose), connect this hose to the flush input and start the water. You will be able to see when the waste stops coming out. BTW, your water should have a color to it if you put in a sewer treatment. When empty, close the black valve. Then, pull out the grey handle on the left and let the water drain. If you have a clear 45 degree connection you can watch the "grey water" empty.
If you have a problem feel free to call, I gave you my phone number in a private message. I usually fill and flush my tanks completely before I leave a campground; if there are not a lot of people behind me waiting to use the dump station. Hope this helps.
Instead of towing that water, could I just wait connect the water the site, then just flush the toilet a few times before hand?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #10

Yes, you can do that. However, I tow with a minimum amount of water in the black tank at all times. First, if we need to stop along the way, we always have a place to go . We have ended up in Rest Stops where the toilets have been closed. Second, keeping a minimum of water in the black tank allows the water to slosh around and assist in breaking up any solids.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote