Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Outdoor Cooking

What all does everyone have to cook with? I was thinking of buying a camp oven but wasn't sure if it was worth spending the money on. Right now we have the grill/smoker we bought, the camp stoves and the microwave. I also have a small toaster oven in case I want biscuits or corn bread.
navymomX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Love my 36" Blackstone Griddle (check out more pics of it in the campfire cooking section of this forum http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18027 )
Attached Thumbnails
griddle1.jpg   griddle2.jpg  

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

I have a large grill that I put over the fire, a cast iron skillet, 3 burner coleman stove and a camp oven. I can pretty much do anything we want to eat with these tools.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Camp ovens can do a lot like deep frying, baking, etc. But they, like all other cast iron, are an art and require a little patience and a learning curve. There is a thread on here called "Lunch/Diner Ideas". Check it out. Lots of food items and methods mentioned.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Pretty simple here...Weber 14" Smokey Joe charcoal grill and also a Weber "Go Anywhere" gas grill which I only use if in an area with a fire ban.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Medium sized charcoal grill and Coleman gas grill. Nothing special, but we can pretty much cook anything we want...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks!!! I feel like i want to buy everything they have @ Bass Pro and Cabela's but I know I don't need all that. I did buy set of pots and pans, plus I have 2 iron skillets. I also bought pretty much everything I thought I would need, measuring cups/ spoons I know I probably wont need them but I was excited and wanting to buy everything when we got the camper in July!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #8

If you decide to buy new cast iron, make sure you look on amazon.com before buying. I got my new Lodge camp oven on there for less than half of what everyone else wanted. Also, most of my cast iron is vintage and I picked it up at flea markets and garage sales. The old Wagner and Griswold stuff is great! Personally, I wouldn't go crazy until you figure out your style and what you like to do. Cast iron cooking isn't everyone's cup of tea. But a grill of some kind is great, especially on that goes over the fire. And we like our vintage coleman stove for outside because it keeps the heat and messes out there instead of in the trailer.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #9

Most of our Iron skillets are vintage also. It's the best for corn bread. I gave my small Iron skillet to my niece and its the only one I had that was small enough to fit in the toaster oven, so now I am on the hunt for another small one so we can have corn bread while camping LOL Thanks for everyone's help. It can be a bit overwhelming once you get to the site and set up and then you think oh no I need this and that but most of the stuff I have taken from the house.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

I always felt like I needed a lot of stuff too but then I got sick of hauling a bunch of stuff around we never used. Same story with most RV junk. Always seems neat but always breaks or never gets used. Oh, and we also have a vintage percolator that makes the best coffee.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

We have a percolator that we used when we would tent camp and I also have had to use it on the stove top when our coffee pot tore up once. I looked for it and I cant find it anywhere. It was the blue speckled ones you buy in the camping section at wal-mart. I guess ot would be vintage now because its at least 15 years old If hubby didnt throw it away I want to put it in the camper because there is no better coffee than that when camping!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

The Lodge factory is located just west of Chattanooga in South Pittsburgh, TN Several years back i purchased some factory seconds (Lodge missing a letter on the lid and other such things) for a fraction of the list price. So if you are ever in southeast TN from the tri-cities area you should stop by.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #13

I will have to remember that and if we are ever that way try to stop in. We always go to the Coleman store in Gatlinburg.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #14

I use the BBQ that came with the trailer and just purchased the stove below so we can boil and fry outside of the trailer. I utilize a 10lb bottle of propane with the stove and use the trailer oven for different foods.

My camping buddy uses a portable Weber BBQ and loves it. He also uses a dutch oven for sporadic cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-EX90...lorer+3x+stove
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #15

I am big into Dutch (Camp) Ovens. This weekend I made chili, blueberry cobbler and mountain man breakfast in it over charcoal. If you decide to go Dutch, let me know. I've got a lot of advice to pass on.

I also have a gas grill that attaches to the rear bumper of the trailer to cook on.
Often times, I bring my Camp Chef outdoor gas cooking station. It has two high pressure burners and I have a giant griddle and grill that can be used on it. I also bake turkey's on it in my Ultimate Turkey Oven. It's a giant cast iron Dutch oven that looks like a Bundt pan inside where the turkey sits upright on it. It will cook a 13 pound turkey in about 1.5 hours or less and it doesn't use oil.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #16

We have a wood/electric bbq of some sort (DH would know) and a butane stove like these: http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
We have a wood/electric bbq of some sort (DH would know) and a butane stove like these: http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
I have the same butane stove and I use it inside and out. That with my camp fire and I'm usually all set. If it rains you can find me at the brew house.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #18

Navymom one day you get to the point where all you have to do is put your clothes in the trailer and go thats a great day
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #19

Pressure cooker....pot roast in less than a hour...cakes...stew..rice...pork ribs....35 min....everything great. Veggies...awesome....
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #20

It's big, it's heavy, but I absolutely LOVE my Camp Chef stove. We have a 3 burner that I picked up at Costco last spring, and I put a quick connect hose on it to tie into the trailer's propane supply. Its among the first things I set up at camp, one of the last things that gets put away. I think I've only used the stovetop inside the trailer once to heat water for coffee. Otherwise- it's the Camp Chef all the way!
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote