Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #1

Outdoor electrical question

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to run 2 different circuits to the outdoor plug (I have a 2016 x213).

We have been using a combination of electric kettle, single-burner electrical stove and electric frying pan while cooking. Of course they are all high-current devices, so we only have 1 in use at a time, which can be a bit of a dance (and I have tripped the breaker when I have forgotten). I have gotten into the habit of running a separate extension cord from the pedestal (most of the provincial parks we stay at have both 30A and 15A at the pedestal) so we can run 2 devices at once.

Would it be possible to run 2 circuits to the outdoor duplex plug? I know I can do it with a home plug, but the ones in the trailer are different and I can't see an easy way to "break" the connection between the 2 plugs. I was going to split off the microwave circuit and put in a GFCI plug in the trailer to protect the other outdoor circuit (same as the current one is protected with a GFCI plug in the bathroom). I know I would still have to be cognisant of what else was running (microwave, A/C) to make sure we don't overload the 30A.

For plan B, are there any issues with replacing the plug with a "normal" residential plug?

Plan C is to see about replacing the coax outlet outside with a single plug (no idea if I can get a receptacle that could do that. I'm trying to avoid making new holes in the trailer.

Thanks for any advice,
Paul
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_ottawa View Post
I have gotten into the habit of running a separate extension cord from the pedestal (most of the provincial parks we stay at have both 30A and 15A at the pedestal) so we can run 2 devices at once.
Paul,

This is what I do. I think it is easier and cheaper than "fixing" something on the trailer that is not broken. Sound like you are carrying the extra power cord anyway, so unless weight is that much of an issue I wouldn't worry about it.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #3

Many people do replace the RV style outlets with residential when they fail, it does take a bit of work as you need to add a box.

Biggest issue I would see is running a new wire back to the circuit breaker panel. Then being outdoors, it really needs to be GFI protected. On top of that I do not believe the circuit breaker panel has a spare slot.

Personally, I just run a heavy duty extension cord from the pedestal to my outdoor cooking area.

I have considered installing a male outdoor outlet on the back side of my TT on the chassis, and running a new line inside my TT, to power an electric space heater in the cool months. Instead you could run a wire over to your cooking area and install an outdoor rated residential outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5278-...7923495&sr=8-2 This is a more expensive one listed on Amazon, but it also looks to be of better quality.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Many people do replace the RV style outlets with residential when they fail, it does take a bit of work as you need to add a box.

Biggest issue I would see is running a new wire back to the circuit breaker panel. Then being outdoors, it really needs to be GFI protected. On top of that I do not believe the circuit breaker panel has a spare slot.

Personally, I just run a heavy duty extension cord from the pedestal to my outdoor cooking area.

I have considered installing a male outdoor outlet on the back side of my TT on the chassis, and running a new line inside my TT, to power an electric space heater in the cool months. Instead you could run a wire over to your cooking area and install an outdoor rated residential outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5278-...7923495&sr=8-2 This is a more expensive one listed on Amazon, but it also looks to be of better quality.
Good to know it can be replaced with a residential plug. Mine's not broken, but if it does I think I would go that route.

I was going to put another plug with the GFCI in the TT to bring it out protected. I wasn't going to install a new breaker, just add this plug to the microwave breaker.

I had also considered another male outlet to bring more power inside for a space heater as well. I'll take a look at that link. I may look at still splitting off the microwave for another one inside as the microwave plug is not in the most convenient place. We have a space heater and a heated blanket. I know the heated blanket doesn't draw too much, but at the moment they would be on the same circuit so I don't run them both at the same time.

I think for now I may just keep my current setup since I don't want to deal with replacing the outside plug at the moment.
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #5

In the cool months we commonly run my AC with the heat strip, 1500 watt electric heater, electric mattress, water heater plus other small items like the frig and so forth, on the 30 amp shore power cord without any issues,

As you said electric kettle, single-burner electrical stove and electric frying pan while cooking are all high-current devices. When we need to use those items, we turn off all of our unneeded items for a short time. I am fairly sure you cannot run all three of those items at one time on a 30 amp service. But I have never tried.

Good Luck.

Edit; I just did a quick add up of wattages of some of those heating devices, and it shows 37 amps. I do not recall ever blowing a breaker. These devices all cycle on/off. Maybe I have been lucky or maybe I have been turning off the water heater. I'll have to investigate more this fall.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote