Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Outdoor Speakers (in awning arms)

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded the outdoor speakers that are in the awning arms? Mine work fine but there is no bass whatsoever (not that I'm looking to blow away the neighbors).

If so, would you be able to recommend make/model? and if it's easy to do?

Many Thanks

Chris
McCluskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

I have looked for suitable replacements and found none. if I were to ever do anything I might look at pulling the wires back and putting some type of surface mount for quick mounting removable speakers. have not used the radio much except to stream sirius XM. recently been doing that on a tablet with portable speakers.

let me know if you find anything!

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #3

Im hopeful that was done on purpose. Bass carries, quite a ways. If you have good bass response, your neighbors hear it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

@Booker Well I think I found some that look promising... even has a couple reviews where people have successfully installed them!

https://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo....8.html#reviews

@spoon059 I would think it was on purpose as well but for those times when appropriate we would like to be able to hear those sweet tunes further away from the trailer
Old 02-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

I removed the head unit and replaced with a high power Kenwood double din automotive unit. I replaced the interior speakers with Alpine 6'5 inch speakers, what a world of difference, almost a direct replacement for the OEM speakers, heeded a bit of trim work so they would fit into the OEM opening but virtually fit in the opening and can't even tell they have been replaced other than the Alpine grill. I trimmed off the wires from the OEM harness that runs to the awning speakers, ran new wires thru the cabinets, out the interior wall behind the microwave and into the space between the interior wall and the exterior aluminum siding. Cut two holes in the aluminum exterior (where speakers used to go before the awning), inserted a two piece backer plate (made from thin plywood) thru the opening and attached to spacers, screwed thru the aluminum into the backer plates (spacers are necessary because the walls aren't think enough to house bigger/deeper speakers, these spacers are typically used on motorcycle fairing installations), fished the wires to these two new locations, was pretty easy with a fish-tape. Installed a set of Alpine marine 6.5 speakers to the spacers and voila.......instant upgrade.

Unfortunately youre never going to get good full range with good base response out of those small 2" awning speakers.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

@freetime thanks for the steps! Not sure if I’ll go that far just yet but if I feel brave the 2.5” aren’t a big improvement I’ll definitely reference you post!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
Ace

Better off with a decent battery powered Bluetooth speaker anyway outside IMO.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26bh, speakers