Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Outside fridge

Still exploring my new Whitehawk 27rlds. There is an outside fridge in the front storage compartment. Seems like this is always on when shore power is connected. Is there a way to turn this off? I don't really need it where I am going this week.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Unplugged mine, but it's in a 28BH

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

I have a different model, but I have an electric outdoor fridge in my 29QBS. There is a thermostat switch in the fridge that allows me to turn it off.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

If you can reach behind the refrigerator and access the thermostat dial you can turn it off there as well.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Truly blessed and HIGHLY favored
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Question: The outside refrigerator is electric and always runs when you are plugged into shore power, but, you don't need it where you are going this week. If you are plugged into shore power and you are not using it, does it still really matter that it is running?

Like Jbrusie, I have unplugged mine before, but plugged it back in, and now I use it for that life necessity no one should live without... Beer!. Since DW and I boondock and dry camp almost 100% of the time, I cycle ice packs from the inside freezer out into the outdoor fridge to keep it cold. Works pretty well so far. When the TT is at home it is plugged in so the outdoor refer runs and stays cold. This way I always have a cold beer somewhere...
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

I used to load my outdoor AC-only fridge at home prior to transit. Never again. The cans inside it rattled and rolled around inside so much that the blue paint on the cans wore off. Plus, it had a tendency to open while in transit, so when I opened the rear kitchen hatch door, an 18 pack of loose cans rolled onto the ground.

I now shut it off when stored, and only run it when at a campsite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
my 23rb does not have a thermostat inside the refer. We have to open an access panel in the bathroom to access the plug in and the external thermostat control.
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

I am seriously considering yanking it out and putting in one of those roto-molded coolers that keep ice for a bazillion days.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

Mine has an outlet hidden behind it, that it was plugged into, and another outlet alongside of it. It was a PIA, but I got the fridge out (by removing the strip and the trim that kept it in place), and now I plug it in, or unplug it as I need it, from the outlet that I can easily access.

There is no on/off on the fridge in my unit, just the plug.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

My outside fridge doesnt get cooler than 43 after running for days. I keep my 5er plugged in all the time at home and i have a thermostat with a remote sensor so i can keep an eye on it. I have this on a punch list for warranty issues

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
My outside fridge doesnt get cooler than 43 after running for days. I keep my 5er plugged in all the time at home and i have a thermostat with a remote sensor so i can keep an eye on it. I have this on a punch list for warranty issues

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Good thing for me to check before I pull it out!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

Topdown, I think I can help you with this issue. I just bought a 27dsrl and had a heck of a time figuring this out. Mine was running all the time while sitting empty in the driveway and I didn't want to pay for that on my electric bill........anyway....hopefully yours is the same as mine......if you reach around the back of it, on the lower right hand side as you're facing it,,,,,,you will feel a dial that adjusts temperature, or if you turn it all the way down it will shut your refer off. Hope this helps you out. It's just in a peculiar spot there where it is hard to see or know about. Take care.
bradw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

Have written about this a couple of other times. These mini fridges are the same that are sold for dorm rooms and man caves in wally world etc. The placement of the on/off tstat dial varies by model but most that Jayco seems to be using have the dial in a remote out of the way location where unless you know where it is, it is almost impossible to find. Once you locate it, it is still nearly impossible to adjust and then you are not able to actually see the dial setting and must adjust it by feel. If it was setting on a table in your dorm room, it would be a no brainer. Since RV manufacturers buy a bazillion of them you would think someone would design one where the dial was out front somewhere, but then that would be too easy for us I guess.

I cut out an access panel on the side divider so I could more easily reach in and adjust the dial. Then I found the hidden outlet where it is plugged in and plugged in a power strip with a 4' cord and secured it at the side of the fridge and plugged it in there. Now I can just turn off the power if I want to shut it down and also have an aux shore power outlet for a battery charger etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

This particular fridge has the dial inside the unit, so I can clearly see what the setting is at. I have it at coldest, and the coldest it has gotten is 43 degrees, which has been running for days like this

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

As mentioned, look on the back of possibly the sides for the temp & on/off adjustment dial. Ours is inside the fridge, but it does vary depending on the model.

We experienced what Craig mentioned when arriving at the campground, bottles and cans falling out as we opened the fridge door!!! So we bought a child lock for a home fridge and not only use that, but use the fridge tension bars to keep things in place while traveling. We usually only keep water and pop in our outdoor fridge, and adult beverages in a cooler.... Working great so far!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Just returned from a 9 day trip. Lots of good tips here. I did find the thermostat on the back side of the unit as BradW mentioned. Crawled in from the other side to get a look at it.
I like the idea of a "child lock" to keep the door closed in transit. Might try that soon.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #17

I installed a power strip on my '17 29REKS for the dorm fridge. I pulled the fridge out and had to make two trips to Ace. The fridge plug in is vertical oriented while the power strip is horizontallyl. I lost about 3/4" and couldn't get the fridge back in. I bought an appliance cord (3') that had the vertical plug configuration and connected it to the power strip. So now I have a power strip that has 6 outlets.

If Jayco had their manufacturer put an on/off switch on the fridge or if Jayco had put the fridge on it's own fuse- we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So far happy with my White Hawk.
BILLYBOBTX is offline   Reply With Quote