Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2024, 10:40 AM   #1

Outside furrion speakers

Hello. The two outsode speakers are trashed. Any advice on upgrading. Is the Furrion brand garbage. Thank you.
Reallyrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:42 AM   #2

I haven’t looked yet. When mine die I going to look at boat speakers.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:14 PM   #3

In my experience, anything with a title and containing OEM speakers..car, truck, boat, airplane or RV products...the speakers are garbage. To prove that point, I'm currently upgrading a C4 Corvette with factory Delco Bose...all the rage once upon a time.....pure outright junk. Also a Toyota, a bit better and newer junk, but junk none the same. And I wear hearing aids so my discerning of quality should be a bit hampered. Check out a place or two like https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ for replacements.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:25 PM   #4

Why use outside speakers at all? Higher quality Bluetooth speakers are more versatile and more controllable. I don't want to share my music with the adjoining campsite. It's easier to bring a speaker to the fire pit, picnic table, etc.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #5

I have a couple of Bose Soundlink bluetooth speakers that can pair with each other and sound amazing. The outdoor speakers are pointless, although I do use them when puttering around my front driveway /yard or doing camper tasks.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:02 PM   #6

My outdoor speakers are Furrion and trashed as well. Bought some cheap marine speakers to replace them, but found out the factory Furrion ones are a bizarre 5" size, whereas standard auto speakers are 5.25". Not much of an easy way to redrill the holes 1/4" larger and don't want to fill the inside cavity with dust and debris. I just bring along my MegaBoom bluetooth speaker instead. Lasts over a day on a charge, and way better sound than what I'm willing to spend on marine speakers and the time to bother figuring out a clean way to redrill them (surface mount adaptor maybe if there is such a thing?).
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:22 AM   #7

I had to replace the outside speakers on my last trailer because they were trashed. I had a hard time finding outside (marine) speakers that were thin enough to fit into the wall cavity. In fact I had to return the first ones I got. I ended up with a set of Pyle marine speakers and they were aptly named, as in Pyle of crap, but at least they worked.

I have to say that I hate the iRV stereo that came with the new trailer. It has no fader, just buttons for speaker pair one and two and defaults to both every time I turn it on.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:56 AM   #8

Just a related FYI:

Years back I purchased an infrared camera and have used it for many things. One of which was that I used it for looking for A/C and heating leaks around the house. Later, I tried it on my RV (years ago) and determined I was losing a lot of cold air out of the exterior speaker grills. I knew the outside speakers were not working and didn't care (as many here don't care for them as well). However, on my RV the speakers also act as an air seal and without them and as in my case, if the speaker cones are gone due to age, then the air behind them will free flow out of the grills. I added more (there was some) insulation behind them and also replaced the speakers primarily just for that reason (again I rarely if ever use them for audio). I am not sure how much cooling loss they caused but being the cones were gone and the infrared camera saw cool air falling out of them, I am sure I was losing some cooling.

Point being, other RV's are likely different, but if the wall the speakers are mounted on are not exterior storage then likely your RV could be similar to mine allowing interior air inside the RV to leak out of the speakers due to the speaker cones being deteriorated (assuming busted speaker cones are the issue with your speakers).

BTW, one other observation I noticed, with the new speakers installed, I could see the speaker cones move in an out with opening and shutting the door. What that tells me is that if the replacement speakers (their cones in particular) become brittle then they will crack and deteriorate simply due to opening and shutting the door, so in other words they will likely fall apart in the future even if I never use them. Next time, I will try to find speakers with plastic cones. ~CA
Old 05-19-2024, 10:06 AM   #9

I replaced my outside speakers on my 2017 Greyhawk back in 2019 because one sounded distorted if you used any volume at all. Ordered some nice ones from Amazon (where else can you buy anything?) and they have performed flawlessly ever since. Easily handles more power than the originals. Fit with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-19 090223.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #10

Just to add, I did replace mine with marine grade speakers (I don't remember what brand), and the ones that went out appeared to be plastic cones (or similar material) however the cones still had cracked and had large sections that had broken away into larger pieces. My test to determine if the cones are still good moving forward is to simply turn them on once in a while and listen for distortion, or I could use my infrared camera again, either way. ~CA
Old 05-19-2024, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Why use outside speakers at all? Higher quality Bluetooth speakers are more versatile and more controllable. I don't want to share my music with the adjoining campsite. It's easier to bring a speaker to the fire pit, picnic table, etc.
1000%. I hate outdoor speakers. Two more holes in my siding to allow water in and another opportunity to accidentally create more noise outside than I intended. We have a nice small Bluetooth speaker that we can place on the side table next to the fire or on the picnic table if we want to listen to music. If I could order a camper withOUT them, I certainly would.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:02 PM   #12

Agreed. They are not that good on an RV. The wall is too thin to allow any kind of dampening and speakers need that to help control the sound. With a 2 inch or less thick wall, the poor speaker can easily be blown apart with even a moderate amount of volume.
I replaced my not working speakers only so I could get in there and seal to the holes! I prefer to use bluetooth from the RV stereo. I can control it!!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I replaced my outside speakers on my 2017 Greyhawk back in 2019 because one sounded distorted if you used any volume at all. Ordered some nice ones from Amazon (where else can you buy anything?) and they have performed flawlessly ever since. Easily handles more power than the originals. Fit with no problems.

I replaced my blown speakers with the same ones. They were as good or better than the old (cheap) ones which was still pretty poor. If I were to do it again, I would widen the hole and use a spacer to increase the depth and size of speaker that would fit. Then, enclose the speaker box and use a decent triaxial marine speaker. But, I only replaced the speakers on the last trailer because everything sounded like it was coming out of a kazoo.

Like others though, I usually Bluetooth to a portable speaker either from the (awful) iRV stereo or from my phone as we often have no radio reception anyway.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote