Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

Angry Outside mini fridge - Freezing stuff

Just spent 6 weeks on a roadtrip south to the Gulf. Used the mini fridge for soft drinks mainly and had on and off problems with frozen drinks. Actually blew up a couple cokes and froze water bottles solid overnite. Turned the thing down and it resolved the problem but stuff didn't seem cold. Tweeked it up and things froze up again. Couldn't seem to get it right. Problem seemed to get worse when we refilled with fresh drinks.

Any body else experience this problem? Is this typical with these mini fridges?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

I haven't used my outside, chil n' stor, fridge in anything but 40 - 60 degree weather yet. However I used to have a 12 volt igloo cooler that I brought camping and still use in my garage. When the weather gets cold, stuff freezes unless it's off. I have to make an effort to unplug it and plug it back in during the day. When I camp in the Cascade range in July, it's 90 during the day and 30 at night. I imagine I'll have the same issue with my current outside fridge.

I haven't checked if its on it's own breaker. That would make things easy; at least I would be able to turn it off without going outside.
BunkintheRear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #3

I too had this issue last summer ended up turning it down over night and was fine then turned up during the day
Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

The mini fridge is super nice for drinks so love having it, but the freezing thing is a pain. Hoping when temps stablize where the nite and day don't fluctuate so much, the problem will go away.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

I think it's a common issue with mini fridges and it probably all depends on the weather outside. I haven't had a problem in the summer, but in the winter I've had to turn it way down at night to keep stuff from freezing.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

I sometimes bring along my second mini fridge sitting on my front deck of my off-road POPUP. It just fits where i can pull out my tent bed over the top of it..

Really haven't noticed any big issues with it except it is hard to get into sometimes when I have lots of other stuff on the deck. This fridge has a small freezer compartment but keeps thing frozen for days in the lower compartment if it is frozen when we put in the fridge.

I'm guessing since the fridge is always shaded by the tent bed setup maybe that helps out with the temp control somewhat. I do have a different temp setting when it is outside verses sitting inside...

Our POPUP is pretty short of fridges anyway and the second one one the front deck and the 5-day ICE chest in the back of the truck bed really helps outs...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I think it's a common issue with mini fridges and it probably all depends on the weather outside. I haven't had a problem in the summer, but in the winter I've had to turn it way down at night to keep stuff from freezing.
Have been turning down at nite, but the one that came w/ our 2014 WH has the control located all the way on the back right top of the fridge. You have to stick your head in the storage hatch and then make a blind reach into a small access hole Jayco cut in the paneling. Just have to do it by feel, you can't actually see the control knob.