Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Overfill fresh tank

Greetings,
I have a 2020 284BHOK and I'm hoping to get some insight from some experienced owners. I will be using the fresh tank next month (dry camping) for the first time. In the event that I overfill my tank when filling, is there any kind of overflow valve that lets me know I'm full (aside from the Tank Fill indicator inside the trailer)? As well, do I stand the chance of causing any flooding or any damage if I overfill? I purchased the trailer used and wasn't given much of a walk-thru and I've struck out on researching on-line. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
20200910_173822.jpg  
firepaul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Most trailers have an overfill tube that allows water to flow out once the tank is full. It will simply begin to pour out of the tube attached to the top of the fresh water tank and spill out onto the ground. Some people have attached a shutoff valve to try to capture an extra gallon or two that you might lose for pulling the trailer from the fill station to your campsite.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Most trailers have an overfill tube that allows water to flow out once the tank is full. It will simply begin to pour out of the tube attached to the top of the fresh water tank and spill out onto the ground. Some people have attached a shutoff valve to try to capture an extra gallon or two that you might lose for pulling the trailer from the fill station to your campsite.
Copy - thank you for your reply. I figured there was something like that and I'm still trying to identify all the valves and such. My big concern was that I have the enclosed underbelly and I could see myself "overflowing" all over the place if the valve wasn't placed properly. Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

One handy thing to get is a little water flow meter powered by a button battery and it has hose fittings to put it in-line while filling your tanks. It will count your gallons going in. $10-20

If you don't know yet, you will find that the level sensors are not that reliable and this is esp. true in the black tank.

Good luck
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

It would be a rare design that didn't feature an overflow.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
CAG

https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...056706&sr=8-19

That comes in handy. Once you know what the tank holds you can avoid over/under filling. DO NOT turn the hose on too strong while filling. You will fill too quickly, the overflow with not be able to keep up when the tank is full and you expand the tank, blow connections off or blow the holding straps off. Slow and easy and stay with it until it is full.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Thanks for posting CAG; that's the one I bought. The other one is the Orbit brand, but many reviewers claimed that they crack.

Thanks to AKRUEBBE for turning me on the idea in the first place.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
One handy thing to get is a little water flow meter powered by a button battery and it has hose fittings to put it in-line while filling your tanks. It will count your gallons going in. $10-20

If you don't know yet, you will find that the level sensors are not that reliable and this is esp. true in the black tank.

Good luck
Angus
Hey there, thank you for the info - I had heard about the flow meter and probably will invest in one ... I have definitely found out about the inaccuracies of the sensors! :-)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...056706&sr=8-19

That comes in handy. Once you know what the tank holds you can avoid over/under filling. DO NOT turn the hose on too strong while filling. You will fill too quickly, the overflow with not be able to keep up when the tank is full and you expand the tank, blow connections off or blow the holding straps off. Slow and easy and stay with it until it is full.
Awesome, thanks for the link - will be purchasing.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #10

There is an overflow valve under the axle on drivers side. I have a 2020 Eagle HT 284 BHOK as well. I thought there was a leak the first time I filled it...

I would like to stay in touch... I have quite a few issues with my coach that Im struggling with getting fixed from the dealer. Read some of my other posts and let me know if you have any similar issues...

v/r,

Bruce
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceanast View Post
There is an overflow valve under the axle on drivers side. I have a 2020 Eagle HT 284 BHOK as well. I thought there was a leak the first time I filled it...

I would like to stay in touch... I have quite a few issues with my coach that Im struggling with getting fixed from the dealer. Read some of my other posts and let me know if you have any similar issues...

v/r,

Bruce
Hey Bruce,
Thanks for the location of the valve - I will also go back and check your posts. As of now I haven't had any issues with the camper (knocking on a big piece of wood and fingers crossed).
Old 10-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #12

So I have another question. I located what I believe is the overflow drain (which looks like the previous owner installed a valve) under the drive axle. I opened it up and water started flowing and has continued. I only had 1/3 tank of fresh water at most and I'm confused why the water is continuing to flow. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
20201022_173526.jpg  
Old 10-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepaul23 View Post
So I have another question. I located what I believe is the overflow drain (which looks like the previous owner installed a valve) under the drive axle. I opened it up and water started flowing and has continued. I only had 1/3 tank of fresh water at most and I'm confused why the water is continuing to flow. Any ideas?
That is the fresh water tank drain valve. An overflow normally will just be an open ended hose, unless, like me, added 1/4 turn shutoffs to the ends. (We have two tanks.)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That is the fresh water tank drain valve. An overflow normally will just be an open ended hose, unless, like me, added 1/4 turn shutoffs to the ends. (We have two tanks.)
Hey JFlight, thanks for your reply. So now I'm even more confused. I've located 2 low-point drains, 1 each on opposing ends of the trailer and this one drain with a valve - so now, I have to find the overflow because there are no other valves sticking below the belly cover.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey JFlight, thanks for your reply. So now I'm even more confused. I've located 2 low-point drains, 1 each on opposing ends of the trailer and this one drain with a valve - so now, I have to find the overflow because there are no other valves sticking below the belly cover.
The low point drains will be side by side. Not one opposite ends. The FW overflow may be built into the fill port as mine is.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #16

Than you again for your reply - and I appreciate your input. So I have attached 2 pics. The pic with the blue and red lines hanging is on the passenger rear of the trailer - the sticker by it says "low point drain". The blue tube hanging is on the front driver side of the trailer with a sticker by it saying "low point drain". The only other valve hanging out was the white one with the valve (my first picture) by the diver side axles.
Attached Thumbnails
20201022_185932.jpg   20201022_190003.jpg  
Old 10-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Than you again for your reply - and I appreciate your input. So I have attached 2 pics. The pic with the blue and red lines hanging is on the passenger rear of the trailer - the sticker by it says "low point drain". The blue tube hanging is on the front driver side of the trailer with a sticker by it saying "low point drain". The only other valve hanging out was the white one with the valve (my first picture) by the diver side axles.
Red and blue are the low point drains. Valves are probably under the bed. May have to remove some panel. The FW drain will be very near the City Water hookup. Most likely the single blue pipe with the valve. Don't know what the fourth pipe can be. Look inside directly above where it is. May have to remove some panel.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Red and blue are the low point drains. Valves are probably under the bed. May have to remove some panel. The FW drain will be very near the City Water hookup. Most likely the single blue pipe with the valve. Don't know what the fourth pipe can be. Look inside directly above where it is. May have to remove some panel.
Thank you Cavie, I'll look into it in the morning. The single blue pipe with the valve is located front driver side under my utility connection area. The red and blue pipes are passenger rear by my outdoor kitchen. The thing that threw me off was that by both sets of valves I have stickers that say "low point drain". Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank you Cavie, I'll look into it in the morning. The single blue pipe with the valve is located front driver side under my utility connection area. The red and blue pipes are passenger rear by my outdoor kitchen. The thing that threw me off was that by both sets of valves I have stickers that say "low point drain". Thanks again for your input.
Mine has 2 Black tank drains and no gray water drain, LOL.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Mine has 2 Black tank drains and no gray water drain, LOL.
That doesn't sound fun.