Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Overflow Hose Syphon Effect

We have a 2019 Jayco 264BH Western Edition with (2) 42 gal fresh water tanks. When we dry camp for more than a few days, we always fill the tanks full. But then when we pull the trailer we always lose water (often up to a third of the total volume) from the fresh tanks thru the overflow hoses because of the syphon effect.

I know that several of you have installed shut-off valves to turn off when traveling to minimize water loss. What type and size valve should I use, and where might I get them?
Old 07-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

We have the twin tanks also, and used a pair of 1/4 turn plastic valves made by Qest. Available at good plumbing stores, or the large big box guys. Sorry I can't give you part numbers as they were in my assorted plumbing stuff, and it was 9 years ago when I put them on.

Since then, Sharkbite fittings have become very popular for ease of installation, and would work well for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

Wanting something lightweight, I used barbed drip irrigation shutoff valves. Didnt even have to use hose clamps, tight enough. My tank has 3 overflows, 1/2 inch. This is what I used:

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...4743233&ipos=1

Just make sure to open when filling and using tank; I have a note pasted at the water valves reminding me. I keep mine closed when parked and not in use; doubles to keep the stink bugs and other critters out of the tank.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #4

I do question how much water gets lost by "siphoning" rather than simply spilling out through the tubes with movement. After all, once air enters a siphon tube the siphoning action stops. On level ground that will happen as soon as the water level in the FW tank drops below the siphon inlet, which is at the top of the tank.

I just plugged two of the vent hoses with rubber stoppers and on the third once added an extension tube with a check valve and a rubber stopper, which exits at the bottom of the RV and prevents water loss during travel. Too much pressure and the stopper pops out and needs to be replaced. Create a vacuum with the water pump and air enters through the check valve and prevents collapse of the FW tank. Cost is around $20, with a Sharkbite to connect to the vent tube.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1717 (1).jpg   IMG_1689 r (1).jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #5

Great ideas! Thanx for the input. I'll check a few of the local hardware stores to see if they have the valves and check valves that has been suggested.