Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
...slacker
Not sure what defines a slacker in your neck of the woods. But, in my neck of the woods, choosing not to get caught up in the minutia of which way the wind is blowing now or in 5 minutes typically means you have much, much better things to do with your time while camping
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Generator Cage

We fabricated this cage for our generator. It's locked to the rear platform on our Jayco Eagle with two padlocks. The platform is locked to the trailer's receiver hitch with a hitch lock. When we run the generator we swap out two of the end, side covers with another set of covers that provide ventilation. Even if it rains the generator is still protected from the elements while it's running. Because the platform is mounted directly to the frame the generator does kinda drone inside the trailer while in use (more noticeable in the rear kitchen area). For us it's a small price to pay to keep it from walking off. We're fortunate the a/c connector for our trailer is located only 3-4 ft. away from the generator on the very rear, left side. It only takes about 2 minutes to hook-up and run when we make a stop.

In the future we may purchase a generator with remote electric start and install a transfer switch. A propane generator may even be in our future since Jayco was nice enough to provide a propane outlet just underneath the right-side bumper, about 2 ft. away from the generator cage.
I do not know for sure, but I have heard from other people that propane fuel generators like a lot of propane. You may want to check on that before you buy one. I am sure someone in this form will know how propane they burn.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I do not know for sure, but I have heard from other people that propane fuel generators like a lot of propane. You may want to check on that before you buy one. I am sure someone in this form will know how propane they burn.
Yup, that's what we've heard, too. If we went propane we'd pick a unit go that has the capability to swap between gas and propane easily. Probably wouldn't use propane except in a pinch.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #24

One gallon of propane has only about 3/4 of the energy in BTUs compared to a gallon of E10 gasoline.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
We have a local Wal-Mart Supercenter located just off a major interstate. Most nights 4-5 RV's park there for the night. During the summer you can hear the constant drone of generators running as you walk in Wal-Mart. Yes, they're all parked off in the distance, in the "north-forty", but it's still amazing how loud they can be. Wal-Mart has no problems with overnight parking, but the city does. When things are slow (which is not very often) the police will on occasion ask everybody to leave.
That all depends on if the township/borough or Walmart owns the parking lot.
If Walmart owns the lot, it is private property and I have never had any issues. On township or borough owned parking lots, I have had the police ask us to leave as we can not stay overnight. Or the manager will tell us the parking lot is not Walmart owned and the police could ask you to leave.
We always call ahead to the Walmart we are planning on overnighting in to talk with the manager and get their ok to stay overnight. I have even had managers tell us we are welcome to stay there but they would not recommend it because of theft issues or vandalism they have had in the past. We find another place to stay overnight.

As for the generator, I have 2 Yamaha 2000 inverter generators but since I installed a Micro Air soft start, I only need 1 to run my AC. I use a very heavy cable lock and lock it to the rear receiver that came with my trailer.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
. . . As for the generator, I have 2 Yamaha 2000 inverter generators but since I installed a Micro Air soft start, I only need 1 to run my AC. I use a very heavy cable lock and lock it to the rear receiver that came with my trailer.
Those Micro Airs are the cats meow! Amazing how they lower the LRA to 1/2 or 1/3 of the factory rating. Noticed they now sell just the board (without the housing and cap) for about $150. For those who are comfortable wiring in just the board that's a bargain vs. the cost of a 2nd $1000 2000 watt Honda/Yamaha generator!!