Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

PA mtn driving in Oct.

I'm hoping to visit Hawk Mtn. near New Ringgold, PA in mid-Oct. I've driven our Jayco Feather Ultralite x20e some 2,600 miles w/o problems but not in the mountains and not in colder weather. Does anyone have experience in PA mtn driving at that time of year? I wrote to an RV camp ground in that region for the owners' opinions, and they wrote back making Oct. in the mtns sound like Tahiti. Thanks in advance...
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #2

Not necessarily in PA mountains, but I have driven the West Virginia turnpike, Blue Ridge Parkway, and up and over other ranges in October. I like the cooler weather because the vehicle runs cooler up the grades. October can be a little unpredictable as far as night time temps, so you have to be prepared to run the air or the furnace. We packed for all weather, added a couple extra sleeping bags and blankets (we don't typically use the furnace) and had fun with it. Less crowded at the campgrounds too typically than in the summer. Sounds like fun!
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #3

What route are you planning to take to get to Hawk Mtn.?
Weather should be just fine and depending on your TV you shouldn't have any problems with the mountain roads.
Temps can get crazy and as stated above you may need both A/C and heater.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:13 AM   #4

The mountains in this area are nothing to worry about, we pulled our x18d all over that area with our 4.0 pathfinder without an issue. I am guessing that you will be camping on the southside of the mountain and that makes it even easier.

As others have mentioned weather can vary, we have camped in Oct in that area ranging from 70s to 32.

If you are into hiking, be sure to look into the Pinnicle and/ Pulpit hikes on th Appalachian trail there. Awesome hikes and views.

What campground(s) are you looking at?
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, driving, mountain, weather