Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #1

PA Turnpike Cost

In my travels, I would expect to utilize the PA turnpike now and then. My questions are...

1) How would an F150 pulling a 32' TT (external dimension) be classified with regard to the turnpike fee?

2) Can I use my EZ Pass or will I be required to stop and pay an attendant for my rig?
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

This should answer questions with a with a little digging. Type in RV fees in Search.
ttp://www.paturnpike.com/toll/toll_info.aspx
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Hope you find your answer.
When I used to travel on my motorcycles with a trailer I would get hit for a 3 axle vehicle when I went over a toll bridge or on a toll road. I thought that was a bit outrageous since I only had 4 wheels on the ground.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

(Nice 'ride' Joe!)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Hello,
I have towed the turnpike, and I don't remember how it was classified, but I think it's just by the number of axles. I did use my EZ-Pass with no problems, except for the ride home it stopped working because the auto replenishment credit card had expired. Luckily, I was able to get a toll ticket at the booth when the lift arm didn't raise, although I'm sure everyone was cursing the "out of state-r" stopping in the ez-pass lane! So, I'n not sure the tool rates, but ez-pass is okay to use.
Happy Camping!
rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

I have a special blue EZ pass tag that I use in all states honoring the EZ pass system. If you go into the EZ pass website you can find the application for your type setup and obtain a tag via mail for the trailer and TV. You can also call and talk to them. In some cases you are allowed to pull a trailer occasionaly with you regular tag but if you go through several times a year you could face violations.

With the new tags you get the discounts. Although 5'er's get more than the TT due to the setup for some reason.

Just remember to keep that little silver bag to put your other tag in while traveling.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

I wonder what they would do my my BMW and Sidecar now. Back 30 years ago I occasionlay drove it on the PA TP and it was counted as a standard veichle.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #8

I towed through the PA turnpike, and it cost me right around 25.00, which I did not know till I got home. Had the same problem towing home from Disney, the toll rates were crazy high. I too have the blue e-z pass tag. I had it set up for my specific towing configuration. When I had just the white tag, I was told I needed to go through the manned booth, and they would figure the charge and put it too my ez pass. Every one of my friends we camp with, use their regular white pass and go through the unmanned booths, and they don't pay the additional CRAZY high fees.
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Site Team

I have traveled it a few times with no pass. I don't understand the fee schedule. We caravan-ed with 2 more rigs and passed thru the same booth and paid 3 different tolls. 2 rigs were identical?

Now, I plan my trip to avoid them if possible.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

Below is the excerpt from the EZ pass web site pertaining to towing occasionaly with your car/truck ez pass account. Very vague if you ask me and no mention of service lanes use only. Are they counting how many times you go through with a trailer? What's occasionally? I only use my TV Ez pass while towing so would that be everytime? I stopped once and was told by the attendant that my tag was accepted. No additional payment for the two trailer axels. 15 minutes later and facing 20 min long full service lines I took a shot and went through Ez pass only with no penalty.

Can a camper or trailer be towed if the E-ZPass tag is being
used?
If you tow a camper or trailer occasionally you may certainly
use an E-ZPass lane. If you tow a camper or trailer all the time
however, please advise us at the time of opening your account
so that your tag is programmed to account for additional axles.

Now I have the special blue tag and I use that for towing since I can go through the express and EZ pass only lanes without fear of fines. Some newer booths have the technologly to count axels some don't. In NYS the manned lanes are always long lines and being on the road at peak times mostly while towing I will gladly pay for the option to have access to the fastest lanes.

You could always put your white tag up in the window if you wanted to go through the cash/ez pass lane and try to save. Just remember to put the blue one in a bag.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote