Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #1

Packing?

For those who tow with a truck, which is most. Do you load the bed of the truck up or load most everything in the trailer? Is there a benefit as far towing for doing one or the other?
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

If there is an obvious place for something in the trailer, like clothing and towels, kitchen items, and stuff that stays in the trailer storage anyway (extend-a-line, EZ up canopy, outdoor rug, etc.), then it goes in the trailer.
We pack things like the stroller, a bike, coolers, etc in the bed of the truck.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
with most trucks TT combo's most have to go into the TT as the payload from the truck gets eaten up to fast. But balance the load in the TT so one point is not over the specific rating.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

In the truck bed goes bikes and dirty stuff like firewood, grills, generator, etc. Everything else goes in the trailer.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

I throw the bikes and small weber grill in the back of the truck. The other stuff has a home in a storage compartment or inside the camper.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #6

In the truck bed goes the stuff I need to actually park the camper: wheel chocks, box full of wood blocks, Andersen levelers, bucket that goes over the tongue jack, a tool box with the wrench for the BAL X-Chocks and the bar for the WDH. That stuff is usually the last to be packed after hooking up, and the first to be needed when unhooking, so it's easiest to put it in some place that's easy to get to, and I don't care if it gets a little dirty.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #7

Anything that you wouldn't want in the TT (bikes, BBQ, Rhino stinky slinkies, some firewood, etc.) goes in the truck bed. None of this stuff is super heavy to take up payload. Bikes just take a lot of space because of their shapes.

We actually store our stand-up paddleboard in our TT because of it's length (10'). It's always clean, but we still wrap it in a tarp.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
In the truck bed goes the stuff I need to actually park the camper: wheel chocks, box full of wood blocks, Andersen levelers, bucket that goes over the tongue jack, a tool box with the wrench for the BAL X-Chocks and the bar for the WDH. That stuff is usually the last to be packed after hooking up, and the first to be needed when unhooking, so it's easiest to put it in some place that's easy to get to, and I don't care if it gets a little dirty.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. I'm the same way along with a home built box that I store my WDH in and the necessary tools to fix anything along the way then I add firewood, that's it. Putting items in the box chews up the GVWR fast, better to go in the camper even if that means on the floor.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #9

In the Truck bed:
Bikes
Fuel
Firewood
Water totes

Everything else goes in the trailer.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

I seem to be the minority. Nothing goes in the truck. Except trips to water. Then 1 to 4 kayaks go in the bed or on the rack. Bicycles are on a rack on the back of the trailer. Our BBQ is small and goes in the trailer (in it's own bag). We don't take firewood. But I might have to reconsider camp chairs in the truck bed.

We have a small 12v refrigerator that we carry in the back seat of the truck. It carries about a case or so of 12oz drinks. This way we have cold drinks available while driving. When we hit camp it goes into the trailer so we limit our opening of the trailer refrigerator.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #11

With exception of clothing, food, and fresh water, the trailer is ready to go year around.

In the 8’ truck bed, 3 kayaks on the rack, bikes, extra coolers, some firewood (most firewood is gathered at the campsite).

Honestly my truck is capable of pretty much anything I need to throw in there without overloading my GVWR and I always travel to the campsite with a full fresh water tank (90 gal).

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #12

I'm about 50/50. Wood, Corn Hole game, canopies and coolers go in the truck. The rest in the camper over the axles. It also depends on where and how long we go. We pack light for shorter trips and of course heavier for longer trips. Most times on the shorter trips, I can put most in the bed.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
With exception of clothing, food, and fresh water, the trailer is ready to go year around.

In the 8’ truck bed, 3 kayaks on the rack, bikes, extra coolers, some firewood (most firewood is gathered at the campsite).

Honestly my truck is capable of pretty much anything I need to throw in there without overloading my GVWR and I always travel to the campsite with a full fresh water tank (90 gal).
This is basically what I was going to say.

My truck had well more than enough payload capacity for anything and everything we needed.

That being said, most "normal trips" the truck bed was empty because everything had a home in the trailer. If we were going to the beach, our canopy and beach cart would ride in the truck. I would put bikes up there on a rack I made. If I decided to bring our "Little Red Campfire", it and its propane tank would ride in the truck. Of course, the canoe went on the truck.

For longer multi-night treks, the truck would haul an air compressor and associated hoses and fittings, generator, 10 gallons extra fuel in Jerry cans, a little extra water, some extra fluids for the truck, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

That was one of the nicest things about having more than enough truck; it didn't matter what we needed, the truck could handle it. I often wondered if I even owned enough stuff to overload the truck. I know for sure I didn't want to load/unload that much "stuff", so it was a purely cognitive exercise! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

my bed

Full bed of firewood if more than 2 nights.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #15

For the life of me I can't understand why I would put anything for camping in th bed of my pickup truck if I had a pickup truck. I carry the kitchen sink and bathroom shower and 3 beds and dinette with me in the camper. Anything we use for camping and camper is transported on or in the camper like bikes, kayaks, and foods. Air compressor and spare tires for camper stay in trailer.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
For the life of me I can't understand why I would put anything for camping in th bed of my pickup truck if I had a pickup truck. I carry the kitchen sink and bathroom shower and 3 beds and dinette with me in the camper. Anything we use for camping and camper is transported on or in the camper like bikes, kayaks, and foods. Air compressor and spare tires for camper stay in trailer.

I don’t carry gasoline(for the generator) in the trailer. I don’t care if it spills on my bedliner, but I don’t want to breathe the fumes if it spills in the trailer. Firewood goes into the bed, because it minimizes the chances of insect infestation in the trailer. Water totes go in the bed, because they’re big/heavy with no way to secure them in the trailer.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #17

Packing?

Everything needed to camp or wanted while camping has a place in/on the camper including bikes on a rack, small propane Weber grill, fishing poles, air compressor and 12’X12’ canopy.

The only things that goes in the bed of the truck are the golf cart, ramps for the golf cart, a floor jack, cooler and sometimes a charcoal grill.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

Everything goes in the camper, except a truck load of firewood. With a fiver don't want a bunch of stuff blowing all around in the truck bed. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Flowers.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Do you load the bed of the truck up or load most everything in the trailer? Is there a benefit as far towing for doing one or the other?
In my opinion, I like to get as much as possible in the trailer. especially if I am up against a weight rating for the tires, axle, or truck payload. 100 lbs of cargo in the truck bed is typically less than 20 lbs payload on the truck if it is loaded in the trailer.

The other reason being security. The kids bikes can be stolen easier from the truck bed than locked in the trailer.

I probably would rather not load fuel or something stinky/dirty in the trailer tho...
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I do the same. All the towing stuff and things need for setting up the trailer (leveling blocks, chocks, etc.) are in the bed of the truck in addition to anything that is used outdoor (chairs, BB grill, canopy, etc.). I also keep a small toolbox with assorted stuff you never want to need but want to have if needed.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote