Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

parking in the grass

We would like to temporarily park our TT in the grass next to our driveway. (In spite of deed restrictions, this is acceptable to do for the time being since 85% of our community flooded during Hurricane Harvey.)
Right now, the ground is very wet because it keeps raining. and raining. and raining. I went over to my neighbors' to see how FEMA set up their trailer, which is in their front yard. It appears that they backed in in on some 2x4 pieces, then also put down plastic or rubber pads, jacked up the trailer some, and further secured it on cinder blocks.
I would rather keep our trailer a bit more mobile than this. Is there a way for us to keep it on our grassy area (which is very soft from rains) without it sinking or getting stuck when we get ready to camp?
I would like to have it at the house to use when the contractors start working on our kitchen and bathrooms, but I also want to use it for camping when we want to leave town.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

Consider having a gravel pad put in. Dig out at least 10 inches and then fill with gravel a few inches higher than the surrounding grass. Then I would put down 12x12 concrete patio blocks where you want to park the trailer (maybe 4ft x 4ft for the tires and several blocks for the jacks, as well as the "driveway" where you want to back it in.

Also the patio blocks for a patio and "sidewalk" to where you would be walking to the house.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

having the wheels on 2x8's is a great start. If you want tos pread the load a bit you can put some lumber 90 degrees to the 2x8's. If it's realyl we it'll still sink, but not nearly as much. Worth putting down stabilizer jacks as well (on lumber of course).

Of note, you'd think that wider lumber would be better, but I found I always split 2x10's or 2x12's lengthwise, so if I want wide, I do two 2x8's or 2x6's sisde by side and that seems to work.
Really you can use whatever is handy.

Should be good enough that it's mobile when needed, even if you do sink a small amount.

Gravel on a soft base sometimes doesn't help much at all. My Former storage spot was gravel on top of mud, and any time it got wet, the gravel was useless.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

if the base is soft, you could corduroy it with boards, large branches, bricks, etc. Done all the time on muddy or sandy roads. Did that on a muddy road into some wilderness property I own. Used large branches, small trees, old lumber and busted up concrete we had on the property. Had some gravel brought in to cover and it is still firm and useable in heavy rains.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #5

You could use 3/4 or 1 inch sheets of plywood as a temporary base. At less one sheet on each side of the trailer, if it is real soft you could put a 2x8 between the tires and the plywood. you may need to put down more plywood between the road and where you want to park the trailer to help save your grass
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

Don't have any earth shattering suggestions. Just want to say sorry for all your troubles. Good luck with the insurance and re-build.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

FEMA usually secures the camper so it isn't mobile, even in a storm. We camped at a KOA in New Orleans 2 years after Katrina. The campground was almost full, about 3/4 of which were FEMA trailers for Hospital workers. Every trailer was on cinder blocks and had Hurricane Tie Downs. I'm sure FEMA didn't want to lose any trailers.

The only concern I would have would be sinking in the soft ground. If it were me, I'd want the wheels on something with a big foot print. Perhaps buy some 2x12 pressure treated cut down to put the wheels on. Then cut down some more pieces to put under the jack stands.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote