Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Partial 12vdc power

The overhead lights in the kitchen bathroom and living room gradually went out, we replaced the battery still 3 circuits were not working. Replaced converter same three circuits are not working. All fuses are good.
Can someone give guidance on what’s going on?
Robertsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #2

Did you test the fuses with a meter or just look at them?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

Welcome Aboard! What model TT and year do you have? How long have you had it? Are you the original owner? Do you have JCommand?

You stated they gradually went out. By chance have the lights just died one by one?? Or as a whole grouping? Have you verify you have voltage to the light fixtures? A multimeter is the easiest method to check the voltage.

The lights you describe usually are controlled to a wall switches. Might have a bad switch. But I would suspect only one bad wall switch not multiples. If you have JCommand in your TT the light switches are wireless and have a small button battery. They create a meshed network, that communicates back to the JCommand module. The batteries in the switches need to be replaced every 2 or so years. Might just need to replace a few small button batteries.

Hope this help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #4

Our trailer is a 2012 eagle. We are not the original owners but have had it for about 4 years. My husband works it if state and lives in the trailer when he is away. All light fixtures were working a few months ago. The first thing I recall that stopped working intermittently were the lights that are mounted under the overhead cabinet above the bed. Then the bathroom lights stopped working followed by the kitchen and living room lights getting gradually dimmer then completely out. We assumed the deep cycle battery was bad so my husband replaced it.. this did not fix problem. My husband replaced the wall switch in the kitchen area. This didn’t fix issue either. I recently visited my husband and thought that possibly the converter was bad and not keeping battery charged. I replaced the converter with the exact same model and tested all the fuses.with meter. I’ measured 12.91 volts at battery. At converter I measure about 13 vdc from
Battery cable positive to neutral bussbar.
All bulbs have been replaced. I have not measured at light fixtures. Which one should we start at? we could use a wiring schematic.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #5

Tested with meter. I have even swapped the fuses in the circuits that are not working to the circuits that are working and they work. So definitely not a fuse issue. I have measured voltage at battery and at converter. All bulbs are new as well as the new wall switch. I’m very frustrated.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #6

Jayco will email you a wiring schematic; you will need all your information VIN, etc. You can call customer service for that. I can offer no assistance on the actual electrical problem; I do know there are several electricians that are on the Jayco forum; hopefully one of them will weigh in soon for you.
crappiejig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #7

Here is an example of a basic lighting circuit. You will typically have multiple bulbs (or outlets) in parallel. Nothing very magical about the operation.

I would go to the light switch and see if there is 12 volts available there. Measure to a metal ground unless you see a ground wire in the outlet box that you can measure to.

If you measure 12 volts there, the problem will be downstream from the switch to the lights. If you don't measure 12 volts there, the problem is upstream between the switch and the fuse panel.

Do any lights come on when you flip the switch that controls the ones that aren't coming on? If so, go to the outlet that is working and check the wire connections in back. The light string will be daisy chained so the link to the next light may be bad especially if they used crimp connections.

Are these LED lights that you installed? If so, they are polarity sensitive and will only light when the positive and negative leads are connected properly.

Lastly, I have no idea how Jayco connects the negative side of the light string. If they tap into a metal ground somewhere, that may be the problem. You can try measuring for 12 volts at the socket to a metal ground. If it is there you may be missing the ground side.

So, the problem may be in the 12 volt positive feed or the negative feed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ckt-Bulb.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #8

I have requested the trailer electrical schematics from Jayco.
I have watched several utube videos regarding the 12vdc power loss in RV’s , one common cause was that the DC power breaker had been thrown. The videos that I watched showed this DC Breaker in various locations in travel trailers from being installed under the trailer tongue, under battery box and under the bed. I have looked in all these places and gave not found this breaker. When I called Jayco the representative didn’t seem to know what I was asking.
Does anyone on this forum know if Jayco trailers have this DC breaker and where it is installed?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #9

This may be the breaker or fuse from the battery, typically near the battery. There may also be a battery disconnect switch.

If ANY 12 volt appliance is working, the problem will not be here as it would affect everything 12 volt.

Here are a couple of troubleshooting documents that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 2 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote