Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #21

Fallowing Just purchased same TT

Thanks for making this thread I just purchased a 2020 Jayco Jay flight SLX8 287BHSW. We can learn together, this is are second TT. We took it out for 3 nights this last weekend and are going again tomorrow.

Family of 4 with twin 5 year old boys in are 30s.
Woody_287BHSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #22

I'm currently out for two weeks in our unit and one thing I forgot to pass along in a previous post......near the battery is a rubber sealed 'packet' that holds a 30 amp fuse. A trailer ago, I learned about and I replaced my fuse with a 30 amp re-setable 'fuse' aka circuit breaker (like these https://powerwerx.com/resettable-atc...SABEgKmBfD_BwE)

That one fuse, if it goes, shuts down all 12V power to the inside of your trailer and to your power jack if you have one. Most newbies learn this from over extending their power jack and wham, the fuse pops. The alternative is to carry a pocket full of 30's and have one in hand when that one blows. But the resetable one is way easier to live with and they're available from a bunch of places on line an in various stores.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Basically, you're a Class A driver without a Class A license. Four basics to that license in my state....back up 100 feet in a straight line. Driver side alley dock, blind side alley dock (these are 90 degree backing to the dock...) and the killer.....parallel park a 53 ft. dry van on the first try. Plus all the above advice doesn't hurt one bit. To develop backing sensitivity....put a garden trailer on your garden tractor and go backwards. You learn fast.
This is very true, I found a helpful video from a channel that I have followed for years is

At the time the Video was made Mike was a Class A instructor, he really knows his stuff and for me is clear in how to explain it. I have heard his voice in my head from this video when I was first reversing my trailer.

Also unconventional but I have enjoyed playing simulator games and have play SCS Software truck simulators since they were making them for a different publisher. A copy of American Truck Simulator or Euro Truck Simulator will allow you to practise reversing (watching the mirror and seeing how the trailer reacts to your movements) without any chance to damage your trailer. It is not a perfect real life simulation and better with a steering wheel but can help.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #24

All valid suggestions so far, and a couple I haven't considered that I'll try out.

Two suggestions from me, though.

If your spouse or some other person you care about is directing you when backing... Patience! He/she doesn't enjoy it any more than you do, and if it is raining you will be happy to be the backer-upper!

Don't hook your fresh water hose up to you black tank flush while thinking it is your potable water coupling. Messy!

OK, three.

Use a different hose for holding tanks and rinsing the sewer hose. You can't see bacteria.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
We spent 6 years with 5 kids in a 287BHBE. Hope you enjoy the very similar floor plan as much as we did. We would still be in it if it werenít for buying toys as the kids got older. Taking 2 vehicles on every trip, just to haul another trailer with toys isnít much fun.

Buy an oxygenics shower head. Seriously, go on Amazon right now, and do it.
If you donít have an electric tongue jack, pick up one of those too.
If your stabilizers are manual, buy a camco 3/4Ē scissor jack socket and harbor freight electric drill you can leave in the trailer.
Buy some of this and cut it to fit in your windows. It helps with light and temperature when needed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...4010/100318552

Probably not a big deal right, but as kids get bigger they will shake the bejeesus out of the trailer. JT strongarm or the Steadyfast system will take care of that if it bothers you.

Donít leave your sewage valves open, even when you have full hookups. Not enough water in the black makes for a poop mountain thatís impossible to break up, and you want enough soapy water in the gray to clean the sewage hose when dumping.

Differing opinions on this, but I donít allow any food into the gray tank. It gets dumped into the trash or black tank. My gray never stinks.

When you donít have hookups: Learn to take navy showers, and your gray will last longer. We even wash dishes in buckets, and dump them into the toilet.
X2 on the no food in grey tank, everything goes in black tank. We wash dishes in a 99 cent tub from Walmart that fits just right in our sink. In our trailer, the toilet is two steps away - very handy way to add liquid to black tank and keep grey tank odor free.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogbehle1 View Post
Thanks! I knew I was going to build a list (I'm very OCD/meticulous like this) so your couple items help me know what to put on there.
Our key is lists and strictly regimented routine. We each have our jobs to set up camp and break camp and we do it precisely the same way every time. Some things like locking cabinets, ensuring hair clips are on paper towel roll and toilet paper roll so they don't unravel during travel, hitch connections are redundant - we check each other.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #27

In Belleville Michigan I love love love our Camping World. In Golden Colorado we ended up with a problem with our refrigerator door. They jerry rigged it so we could get it home. Come to find out a pin holding it some how jammed way into the hole. They fixed it and they said just try to get that baby out. They have been wonderful fixing stuff and I love looking their catalog. Feel like a child in a candy store. Happy trails.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 AM   #28

While still under warranty our trailer brakes stopped working on our way to Utah. I called Jayco. They instructed me to call Camping World, Loveland, Colorado. Service said to be there first thing in the morning. An hour after arriving we were on our way with repaired brakes. The service there was friendly, accommodating, and competent. Seems each facility needs to be judged on its own. We were very happy with the wonderful service we received from Jayco warranty department and Loveland CW.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #29

NewBlackDak... can you explain more about the oxygenics shower head? Why? I'm a newbie and always had a very cool shower head in my house - but I've let the shower head in my Jayco slide.
Inkyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkyfingers View Post
NewBlackDak... can you explain more about the oxygenics shower head? Why? I'm a newbie and always had a very cool shower head in my house - but I've let the shower head in my Jayco slide.

It saves water when youíre off services, and the designs makes it feel like you always have great pressure.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #31

Hmmm... Excel spreadsheet checklists. Be still my heart... Would you be willing to share those?
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #32

We used spread sheets when we went camping with tents instead of the RV. Reason being is we always forgot something. When we gave up tent camping we kept the spread sheet checklist to make sure we did not forgot anything. Now that the trailer has almost everything I still make sure I take my cuisinart oven, griddler and now that I have my coffee maker in there no longer forgotten. Spread sheets are really great to have when going on long distance camping trips. Thanks for the memories.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
Hmmm... Excel spreadsheet checklists. Be still my heart... Would you be willing to share those?
There are many, many check lists available for you to print off. Google "printable RV checklist", and check them out. You can print several, laminate them, and use a dry erase marker.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
I'm sure there are checklists on-line. We simply made our own and develop and detail or generalize them over time as needed.
One for set-up / take-down camp.
One for winterize / spring re-opening.
One for what to take divided by categories.
One for foods, spices, recipes.
We also keep a repair, maintenance, travel log with dates, mileages (individual and total) and significant events, repairs, modifications.
And the "to do" list of things for maintenance and ideas for modifications along with the "don't forget" list of various things like RV height, lug nut torque, check the GFI socket first when power goes out, and other helpful items.
A list of places to go and things to see along with tunnels and road restrictions in area.
And there are probably a few lists I left out.
Learning to RV and developing your own plans, like making custom modifications to make your RV just right for you, is an enjoyable and exciting part of RV ownership.
Wishing you many happy experiences and memories ahead. : )
Old 07-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
There are many, many check lists available for you to print off. Google "printable RV checklist", and check them out. You can print several, laminate them, and use a dry erase marker.
I always like to start with something. We have a pretty detailed camping list, but we've graduated from a small pop up to a X19H which we love....
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #36

When I started camping with my mother I started my own hand made check list. Then it grew when I got married and it grew again when I had my daughter. It saved me countless times when we went tent camping. Especially with the pop up. Now that I have the trailer the only thing I need to remember is my small cuisinart oven that is also an air fryer. And my griddler. I still keep the check list because I still forget my pillows even though there are pillows on the bed and my buff puff for the shower. Now to go check out earthquake glue. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #37
Site Team

I think of checklists as "living" documents. You can add things as you go, and take things off when you find you don't use them. They must be a good idea if pilots use them all the time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote