Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #1

Pass along information to a new owner

Hello to all!

As the title says - I'm a new owner (all things RV new), and looking for good information on tips/tricks for keeping the TT in good shape, upgrades (battery kill switch, etc), and general information not usually distributed.

To summarize - what is something you wish someone had told you when you started?? Both in general and model specific... I live in Southern California so not worried about winterization, and will primarily be camping at the beach (70% beach 30% mountains)

I have a 2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW towed with a. 2019 F-250 6.2L Gas (LOVE that truck... if looking for a new tow vehicle I can't hype this one enough)

Side note - despite the vast 'warnings' to avoid Camping World, I went for it because they had EXACTLY what I was looking for and had a personal connection there (that helped with not getting bent over a table). Overall, not horribly burned. One thing that I saw a lot on forums is that they nickel and dime you on things light freight, PDI, etc... CW was quick to advertise your OTD price is TT, Tax/Title/Fee, and a 'camp ready' thing at $989. (They were saying they don't charge for all the other things that dealerships do). During negations the sales person said they couldn't drop price because there MSRP was 35k, online the website says the MSRP is 37K and I called him out - turns out they work the freight and PDI into a 'higher' MSRP. Sneaky...sneaky. However, I got into the trailer for over 25% off MSRP so... not upset.

My wife and I are younger (Late 20s) with a 15mo old so we plan on being in this trailer for quite sometime hence why we just went with a more expensive new unit.
jogbehle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the TT. We are motorhome folks so. I'll leave the TT tips and tricks to others. With you saying you have a 15 mo son I will provide one bit of advice though, no matter how tempted you or the DW are never flush baby wipes down the toilet of the TT. Baby wipes do not dissolve and they will create havoc in the black tank system.

Again welcome. Enjoy the rig and may your adventures be many and safe.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the TT. We are motorhome folks so. I'll leave the TT tips and tricks to others. With you saying you have a 15 mo son I will provide one bit of advice though, no matter how tempted you or the DW are never flush baby wipes down the toilet of the TT. Baby wipes do not dissolve and they will create havoc in the black tank system.

Again welcome. Enjoy the rig and may your adventures be many and safe.
HUA! Currently with the CA Army NG -

Thank you for the tip! I might need to make a sign to hang above the pooper then... I don't trust certain people (who shall remain nameless)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #4

We spent 6 years with 5 kids in a 287BHBE. Hope you enjoy the very similar floor plan as much as we did. We would still be in it if it weren’t for buying toys as the kids got older. Taking 2 vehicles on every trip, just to haul another trailer with toys isn’t much fun.

Buy an oxygenics shower head. Seriously, go on Amazon right now, and do it.
If you don’t have an electric tongue jack, pick up one of those too.
If your stabilizers are manual, buy a camco 3/4” scissor jack socket and harbor freight electric drill you can leave in the trailer.
Buy some of this and cut it to fit in your windows. It helps with light and temperature when needed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...4010/100318552

Probably not a big deal right, but as kids get bigger they will shake the bejeesus out of the trailer. JT strongarm or the Steadyfast system will take care of that if it bothers you.

Don’t leave your sewage valves open, even when you have full hookups. Not enough water in the black makes for a poop mountain that’s impossible to break up, and you want enough soapy water in the gray to clean the sewage hose when dumping.

Differing opinions on this, but I don’t allow any food into the gray tank. It gets dumped into the trash or black tank. My gray never stinks.

When you don’t have hookups: Learn to take navy showers, and your gray will last longer. We even wash dishes in buckets, and dump them into the toilet.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
We spent 6 years with 5 kids in a 287BHBE. Hope you enjoy the very similar floor plan as much as we did. We would still be in it if it weren’t for buying toys as the kids got older. Taking 2 vehicles on every trip, just to haul another trailer with toys isn’t much fun.

Buy an oxygenics shower head. Seriously, go on Amazon right now, and do it.
If you don’t have an electric tongue jack, pick up one of those too.
If your stabilizers are manual, buy a camco 3/4” scissor jack socket and harbor freight electric drill you can leave in the trailer.
Buy some of this and cut it to fit in your windows. It helps with light and temperature when needed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...4010/100318552

Probably not a big deal right, but as kids get bigger they will shake the bejeesus out of the trailer. JT strongarm or the Steadyfast system will take care of that if it bothers you.

Don’t leave your sewage valves open, even when you have full hookups. Not enough water in the black makes for a poop mountain that’s impossible to break up, and you want enough soapy water in the gray to clean the sewage hose when dumping.

Differing opinions on this, but I don’t allow any food into the gray tank. It gets dumped into the trash or black tank. My gray never stinks.

When you don’t have hookups: Learn to take navy showers, and your gray will last longer. We even wash dishes in buckets, and dump them into the toilet.
Great!! Thanks, the new ones come with electric jack... though my stabilizers are manual. Good call on the drill, I'm sure after a couple trips I would have used the efficiency that is born our of laziness to discover your trick...

Love your rule with food in the grey and navy showers. My side of the family is coming from tent camping, I'm the first to break the ice on a trailer so we are good with that.. my wife's family have never camped because of creature comforts so this will.be in the middle ground. Hopefully I can hold the navy shower law firm lol!

Thanks again for the info!
Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 AM   #6

You'll enjoy that trailer we have the same exact one. 2 things I found that helped with storage in the cabinets in the bedroom. Move the clothes bar up an back a couple inches. Your shirts will fit better an it's easier to close the door. Second. I bought those plastic shoe storage systems to keep thing like socks, belt, boxers, shorts etc in. It keeps those things from sliding to the back of the closet. Just measure the distance from the clothes rack bar to the bottom of the closet for the best fitting one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200527-062353_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	59257
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
You'll enjoy that trailer we have the same exact one. 2 things I found that helped with storage in the cabinets in the bedroom. Move the clothes bar up an back a couple inches. Your shirts will fit better an it's easier to close the door. Second. I bought those plastic shoe storage systems to keep thing like socks, belt, boxers, shorts etc in. It keeps those things from sliding to the back of the closet. Just measure the distance from the clothes rack bar to the bottom of the closet for the best fitting one.
Attachment 59257

Forgot about the wardrobes. I pulled the bars out, and put in shelves.
I used 1x1s to make cleats, and 1/2” hardwood plywood for the shelf surfaces. Stained dark walnut. Then added an battery powered led motion light under each shelf. My wife found a couple bins that fit perfectly in the bottom shelf, and we used them for socks, underwear, etc.
2x Honda 2K
Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Forgot about the wardrobes. I pulled the bars out, and put in shelves.
I used 1x1s to make cleats, and 1/2” hardwood plywood for the shelf surfaces. Stained dark walnut. Then added an battery powered led motion light under each shelf. My wife found a couple bins that fit perfectly in the bottom shelf, and we used them for socks, underwear, etc.
Ahhhh, good idea!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

I highly recommend creating a computerized checklist of items you need to check or load before departure. I have used one for 30 years and it has helped me to not forget to do something. I created a single page Excel spreadsheet with different categories and just mark off each item after it is verified.

Here are some items from my list:

Checks - fill water tank, ck propane level, charge batteries, fill gas, ck oil, air tires, ck running lights, ck generator run time for routine maint.

Turn off - home AC/heater, set lawn watering, set light timer, stop mail, lock gates.

Load - spare batteries (AA, AAA, etc), booze, jackets, camera, meds, hats, spare potti chemical & toilet paper, laptop, flashlights, bbq & accessories, ice cubes, first aid kit.

System tests - generator, AC, heater, smoke alarm, fridge, etc.

I also keep track of maintenance dates for oil changes, air filters, and dates such as tank sanitizing, smoke alarm battery, etc.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I highly recommend creating a computerized checklist of items you need to check or load before departure. I have used one for 30 years and it has helped me to not forget to do something. I created a single page Excel spreadsheet with different categories and just mark off each item after it is verified.

Here are some items from my list:

Checks - fill water tank, ck propane level, charge batteries, fill gas, ck oil, air tires, ck running lights, ck generator run time for routine maint.

Turn off - home AC/heater, set lawn watering, set light timer, stop mail, lock gates.

Load - spare batteries (AA, AAA, etc), booze, jackets, camera, meds, hats, spare potti chemical & toilet paper, laptop, flashlights, bbq & accessories, ice cubes, first aid kit.

System tests - generator, AC, heater, smoke alarm, fridge, etc.

I also keep track of maintenance dates for oil changes, air filters, and dates such as tank sanitizing, smoke alarm battery, etc.
I have 6 such spreadsheets myself. A reminder list of personal things to take I give my wife (medication, hat, camera etc.) a list for myself, grocery list for before we go, menu, jayco checklist and a prep list.
On bigger trips like goin to the races I do a spreadsheet with daily tasks to do that week prior. It helps me tremendously having a schedule so I'm not scrambling the last 2 days tryin to get everything done.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #11

Thanks! I knew I was going to build a list (I'm very OCD/meticulous like this) so your couple items help me know what to put on there.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #12

I got in the habit of ripping 2x4's and installing them up against the lower edge of the 'garage' openings. This will prevent the gasket from getting torn up over time as you move stuff in and out. Also, I have a Reese hitch system with torsion W/D.....I put a TT bumper hitch (like what's used to hang a bicycle rack) on the A and that's where my hitch goes while in camp. There are two J hooks installed on each side of the A and that's where my torsion bars are stored while in camp. Keeps them off the ground. Storing the hitch off the truck saves shins!

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #13

2 things, maybe 3;
Have a small note book and pencil to record things you forgot to bring, or need to remember for next time.

Be patient in backing up. It is like a game of chess, you need to be thinking three moves ahead; where am I now, where do I want to be, and how do I get there? When you arrive; pull up, get out, talk over your approach plan. When your all done speak with your helper about your communications. Clear hand signals are very important. Longer the trailer, the slower it is to react to your turning corrections. Letting your partner know, to indicate long before you MUST change is important. If I cannot see my DW or kid in the mirror I STOP. I do not want to drive over them by accident. you never know if they might trip and fall. After a few times they learn to make sure they can see my smiling face in a mirror.

If you do not have experience backing up, find a large industrial parking lot, and practice.

One last tip on backing up, pull way farther forward than you think you need to.

Most important - Have fun

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #14

Basically, you're a Class A driver without a Class A license. Four basics to that license in my state....back up 100 feet in a straight line. Driver side alley dock, blind side alley dock (these are 90 degree backing to the dock...) and the killer.....parallel park a 53 ft. dry van on the first try. Plus all the above advice doesn't hurt one bit. To develop backing sensitivity....put a garden trailer on your garden tractor and go backwards. You learn fast.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I got in the habit of ripping 2x4's and installing them up against the lower edge of the 'garage' openings. This will prevent the gasket from getting torn up over time as you move stuff in and out. Also, I have a Reese hitch system with torsion W/D.....I put a TT bumper hitch (like what's used to hang a bicycle rack) on the A and that's where my hitch goes while in camp. There are two J hooks installed on each side of the A and that's where my torsion bars are stored while in camp. Keeps them off the ground. Storing the hitch off the truck saves shins!

Genius!
2x Honda 2K
Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
2 things, maybe 3;
Have a small note book and pencil to record things you forgot to bring, or need to remember for next time.

Be patient in backing up. It is like a game of chess, you need to be thinking three moves ahead; where am I now, where do I want to be, and how do I get there? When you arrive; pull up, get out, talk over your approach plan. When your all done speak with your helper about your communications. Clear hand signals are very important. Longer the trailer, the slower it is to react to your turning corrections. Letting your partner know, to indicate long before you MUST change is important. If I cannot see my DW or kid in the mirror I STOP. I do not want to drive over them by accident. you never know if they might trip and fall. After a few times they learn to make sure they can see my smiling face in a mirror.

If you do not have experience backing up, find a large industrial parking lot, and practice.

One last tip on backing up, pull way farther forward than you think you need to.

Most important - Have fun

I’d say forget the hand signal and get some vox activate walkies. Voice is better, and you will be places where you phones don’t work at times.
2x Honda 2K
Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
I’d say forget the hand signal and get some vox activate walkies. Voice is better, and you will be places where you phones don’t work at times.
Don't trust that cell phones will work, where you are camping. I love it when people say right or left over the phone/walkie, I say to myself my right or your right????

We use cell phones on speaker to back into our driveway. Our driveway is about 2 feet wider than our TT. up a 10% grade, Depending on the spot along the length of the driveway, it has retaining walls, fences, a house, a single step out of the house, rarely an open house window. It is tight someday. So we use wording with reference to the house our fence line. I do this all from starting on a narrow city, with parked cars on both sides. Communications is very important, as I can not see the blind side.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
CAG

There are volumes on here about "Which wax to use". It is much like which truck to buy or what tires should I get. You probably have a preference already and that is fine. Find one you are happy with and use it often. Salt air will do a fair amount of damage (much like boats). Keep a good coat of what-every you choose on the rig.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Don't trust that cell phones will work, where you are camping. I love it when people say right or left over the phone/walkie, I say to myself my right or your right????

We use cell phones on speaker to back into our driveway. Our driveway is about 2 feet wider than our TT. up a 10% grade, Depending on the spot along the length of the driveway, it has retaining walls, fences, a house, a single step out of the house, rarely an open house window. It is tight someday. So we use wording with reference to the house our fence line. I do this all from starting on a narrow city, with parked cars on both sides. Communications is very important, as I can not see the blind side.

Ours is similar. I don’t have a straight shot in, and I’m backing blind side. House on one side, and pre-cast concrete fence on the other. We use house/fence while backing in.
We try to establish something similar at campgrounds, or use cardinal directions.
2x Honda 2K
Old 05-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
There are volumes on here about "Which wax to use". It is much like which truck to buy or what tires should I get. You probably have a preference already and that is fine. Find one you are happy with and use it often. Salt air will do a fair amount of damage (much like boats). Keep a good coat of what-every you choose on the rig.
This might have heavily influenced my decision to go Aluminum v. Fiberglass. Among other things...