Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #1

Patience running out RV repairs taking “forever”

Holy mackerel! Is this new normal?

I lost JayFlight power awning in incredibly sudden rain storm in mid-Jun 2021. I couldn’t get the awning “in” fast enough and water weight broke retracting arms. Need total / full replacement. Brought trailer to RV dealer/repair shop who held it 2 months with no movement and no communication. Sad customer service. So, brought it to another RV dealer/repair shop. We’ve decided on Solera “Smart Arms”, automatic Wind Sensor kit, new canvas, LED lighting, the 15ft “roller” with new canvas. But I’m being told, the “hold-up” is mounting hardware. Multiple parts distributors don’t have inventory of needed brackets that hold the roller pins and vertical supports that attach to trailer exterior. Due to COVID-19, its been said factories are running 25% capacity – jeepers, new units are being built . . . albeit slowly. Right? Today is 1st week of January (6 months later) with no estimated completion date in sight. Has anyone else encountered back-log inventory problem?
Old 01-11-2022, 04:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insist on live music View Post
Holy mackerel! Is this new normal?

I lost JayFlight power awning in incredibly sudden rain storm in mid-Jun 2021. I couldn’t get the awning “in” fast enough and water weight broke retracting arms. Need total / full replacement. Brought trailer to RV dealer/repair shop who held it 2 months with no movement and no communication. Sad customer service. So, brought it to another RV dealer/repair shop. We’ve decided on Solera “Smart Arms”, automatic Wind Sensor kit, new canvas, LED lighting, the 15ft “roller” with new canvas. But I’m being told, the “hold-up” is mounting hardware. Multiple parts distributors don’t have inventory of needed brackets that hold the roller pins and vertical supports that attach to trailer exterior. Due to COVID-19, its been said factories are running 25% capacity – jeepers, new units are being built . . . albeit slowly. Right? Today is 1st week of January (6 months later) with no estimated completion date in sight. Has anyone else encountered back-log inventory problem?
Yes, without the immediate consequences you're having.

IMO shortages are caused by the industry's sudden growth and the pandemic, but that's a different thread. The shotages are real, and the builders being the biggest customers are getting what's available.

If I was in your situation I wouldn't let "them" hold my TT for repairs. You can use it without an awning. If you could remove the old one, or bind it so it's roadworthy, you can use your TT until the new parts arrive. (If you remove the old one, protect the mounting holes from water intrusion.)

Some years ago I damaged an awning arm and wired it to keep from opening until the new arm arrived. I replaced it myself; the new arm came from Tweety's.

If I was a business that was going to repair your awning and you wanted to use your TT until the parts arrived. I would ask for the money up front.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #3

Business I am in some of the components used in the material are made overseas. Companies over seas are being shut down or material is sitting on docks can't be picked up because of labor shortages in transportation.

Our lead times are 6-10 months then another 10+ weeks to build the meters. Another 7-15 days to get the meters delivered to the end user

Imagine being one of out utility company customers needing to install meters for a new housing development or a business or worse replace failed meters already in the field.