Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingn.c. View Post
Are you guys seriously implying that a 32BHDS or any TT period is a questionable load for a modern 3/4 truck ??? That's a first for even the most extreme weight police.
My comment was directed at the OP so he could get his own question answered and I stand by my statement that saying "Just hitch it and go, you won't even know its back there" is dangerous advice for anyone towing a large Travel Trailer.

Scales let you know exactly where and how your weight is distributed and that is what the OP asked.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG0351 View Post
First, Everyone have a great and safe Thanksgiving day....
I have the 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel.
I'm interested in the Jayco 32 BHDS with a hitch weight of roughly 1000.
My Payload is roughly 3000.
So my question is, Payload and hitch weight one in the same....
Thanks in advance for any replys....
In my opinion, no one properly answered your question, which is "payload and hitch weight one in the same...." The answer is: no.
The hitch ball is around three feet behind your axle, therefore the tongue weight of the trailer is imparting a force at the axle that is roughly three times the weight applied at the hitch. This is why you will see heavy duty trucks squat with a 1000# tongue weight trailer; but if you put that same 1000# in the bed, it would not squat as low. Think about using a breaker bar on a socket, versus a standard size ratchet. You gain more torque using the longer bar with the same force applied.
Your payload numbers on the truck assumes somewhat even distribution in the bed, where some of the load is in front of the rear axle, and some behind it. The theroy behind a weight distributing hitch is that it transfers some of the load to the front axle by imparting an opposite force.
It's a basic Mechanics problem.
Hope this helps.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #23

Thanks for all of the reply's, Even the confusing ones..LOL
I used to drive truck, So I know how to pull a trailer and load one, I'm a stickler on making the weigh even out....
And I can't stand a Truck and trailer not being level and balanced....
Bottom line is, Will I be OK with my Ram 2500 diesel and the Jayco 32 BHDS.
I will get a proper WDH
MikeG0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
I used to drive truck, So I know how to pull a trailer and load one, I'm a stickler on making the weigh even out....
I will get a proper WDH
Yes, you will be perfectly fine. It is the exact same combo I have, which is why I chimed in to start with. The truck sits a little low BEFORE wd is engaged. All hooked up the truck sits perfectly level and rides great.
Look around the camp ground and see what people are towing with your truck and you'll feel a lot better.
Not to mention there are plenty of people pulling that same camper with half tons, whether they should or not is a different story.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #25

Quote:
I will get a proper WDH
Many of us have tried to answer your question. Let me ask you this. When you drove a truck, how did you know your load was legal as far as weight was concerned? You got scaled at some point and that allowed you to know that you were within allowable limits on all points of the truck and or trailer. Front axle, rear axle hitch / pin weight etc.

The only SURE way to know that you "Will Be Ok" is load up and go get scaled out. Without going over a scale we are all just speculating.

Saying something is ok to do just because others are doing it reminds me of what my parents always said to me and I have always said to my kids. "If somebody jumped off a bridge would you do it too? Just because others are towing the same or similar trailers does not mean your individual TV will be the same.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #26

Scales or no scales, he is very unlikely to be overweight with that trailer and truck unless he's hauling a load of gold bricks in the trailer or in the truck bed.

There's no reason to be obsessed with the CAT scales. Plus it's kind of hard and inconvenient to install and set up a WDH, load up a trailer with all your junk, groceries and underwear and head to the CAT scale before you actually purchase the trailer.

He just asked if payload and hitch weight were the same.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Scales or no scales, he is very unlikely to be overweight with that trailer and truck unless he's hauling a load of gold bricks in the trailer or in the truck bed.

There's no reason to be obsessed with the CAT scales. Plus it's kind of hard and inconvenient to install and set up a WDH, load up a trailer with all your junk, groceries and underwear and head to the CAT scale before you actually purchase the trailer.

He just asked if payload and hitch weight were the same.
Exactly!
Now I'm all for weighing a setup to get a hitch dialed in, that's one thing. I've had mine on the scales for exactly that.
But to put doubt in the OP's mind about that specific trailer being questionable is just absurd.
The 2500/250 payload number being low is a well beaten discussion. There are those that understand it and those that don't. It is also why seeing thousands of 3/4 ton trucks towing large 5th wheels is so common. Go over to the 5th wheel section on here and see what guys are towing with class 2 trucks. Many are over 2500 lb pin weights and are still WAY under RAWR. (the number that actually matters).

OP. You've been told by Need-a-vacation and myself, both that actually have that same camper AND have had it on a scale that you'll be fine. I even have the same truck. You're tongue weight will be in the 12-1400 range. Like "need" said, get 1500lb bars. These are actual numbers we obtained by weighing it and is hundreds of pounds under weight of any 2500/250.
I stand by what I said, hook it up, set up the hitch and go. You'll soon learn that there's a real world reality and a forum reality.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #28

Camping n.c.
And all others, Thanks for the reply's....
Ill look into the reese Dual cam w/1500 bars
MikeG0351 is offline   Reply With Quote