Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
...the Battle of Little Big Horn is probably remembered by families of the Native survivors more than the rest of our population. Much like Wounded Knee.
I agree. Both events need to be remembered by both sides. I hope to visit both sites some day to contemplate what happened there. Native American relations remain a dark stain on our nation's history.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #22
Site Team

I apologize if I take this off topic, but while we are speaking of WW2 service members, does anyone know if there is a way to find out a family member's service records or even what they did during their military service in the war? The reason I ask is, my grandfather on my mother's side was in the Marines during the war and the only thing that I know was that he was supposedly in Germany toward the end of the war. My mother's birth records confirm that she was born on the base in Quantico VA in February of 1945 while my grandfather was deployed.

He passed when was in my early 20's but he never spoke of anything that he did during the war. I only remember him being sober a handful of times over the years. To put it bluntly, he was the town drunk from his neighborhood (think Otis Campbell from the Andy Griffith show). My mother passed on a few years ago and even she never knew anything of what he actually did during the war.

I do know that a lot of those guys came back as alcoholics and that there wasn't any type of support or counseling for them back then. I've always wondered if something that he did or witnessed there factored in the alcoholism.

Anyway, sorry for the aside.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #23

Pearl Harbor

My local news station ran a 15 second clip. They showed the date December 7th 1941. Then they said it was the 80’th anniversary.
I’ve lost all faith in our media.
Bchbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I have a degree in history and taught it in public schools for almost a decade before enrollment changes cost me my dream career. I believe that remembering significant events is important. That said, as the generations become more and more removed from the event, they remember it less and less. The major event in my life was the September 11 terrorist attacks because of how they changed my life leading to multiple tours in Iraq. I'm sure my grand kids will not pause and think about that important event.

You said your father served in the Navy at Pearl. God Bless Him and I'm glad he made it home. You have a direct connection and are only one generation removed from the event, so it is still significant for you.

But I wonder, do you stop and remember the significance of April 19th? (The Battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775). How about January 8th? (The Battle of New Orleans in 1814). What about July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? (The Battle of Gettysburg in 1863). Maybe June 25th? (The Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876). How about May 7th? (The Sinking of the Lusitania that prompted us to join WWI on the side of the Allies). I would guess not, and neither do I quite frankly. I wouldn't expect most people would because we are several generations removed from those events.

Please don't think I'm justifying not remembering important events. I'm doing quite the opposite actually. But maybe this is the reason for us not remembering as long as we should.
You've given a more well-rounded perspective and we can agree that the further removed an event becomes, fewer people will remember it. The attack on Pearl Harbor altered world events and the course of world history pretty dramatically. It hardened the resolve of an entire nation ("...awakened a sleeping giant..."-Yamamoto; "...a day of infamy..."-FDR). America was pissed off. Or more succinctly, Americans were pissed off. Looking over Pearl after the attack, Adm Bull Halsey said “Before we’re through with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell.” Just imagine the reaction to a statement like this today (can you say Canceled??).

As we probably all agree - major events like this, taught factually in history classes nationwide, might be one way to ensure they are remembered and respected.

2016 Jay Feather 23RB Elite
2017 F-150 4x4 Sport
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
DooDahDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #25

President Reagan was sent a letter from the Pearl Harbor Society members. My father was one who signed the letter. The survivors were angry that they were used and sacrificed to get America into the war. My father said before the US entry into WW2 the mood was worse than Viet Nam, where no one wanted to be in the war. FDR and his staff knew the Japanese were mustering ships to attack Pearl Harbor, but didn't inform the troops. He let it happen and let over 2000 troops get killed. Now they had a slogan and entry into the war. Another thing My father shared with us kids was every enlisted man wanted to kill McArthur because he left 10,000 men to the Bataan Death March
He always hated "I shall return." My father said either he should have never left or take those guys with him. He saved himself. So these words may seem harsh, but my father was there and I believe what he told us.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #26

What we remember and learn from history provides a light to guide us to tomorrow.
It's up to US to keep the lessons and memories alive. My Son is 32. We have had countless conversations about my Dad's Naval Aviator WW2 experiences and mine in Vietnam. We've been to the beaches of Normandy, the Arizona, the wall and the 911 museum in NYC. He knows a lot about WW2 and Vietnam as well as a lot more. He will absolutely have countless conversations with his kids. BTW, there were more young people in Normandy than older guys like me.
Never forget. Never.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:15 PM   #27

My inlaws were on Pearl when it happened. He went down to his ship and she didn’t hear from him for months.

Fox covered it. But we’re supposed to be ashamed to watch a pro American station.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I apologize if I take this off topic, but while we are speaking of WW2 service members, does anyone know if there is a way to find out a family member's service records or even what they did during their military service in the war? The reason I ask is, my grandfather on my mother's side was in the Marines during the war and the only thing that I know was that he was supposedly in Germany toward the end of the war. My mother's birth records confirm that she was born on the base in Quantico VA in February of 1945 while my grandfather was deployed.

He passed when was in my early 20's but he never spoke of anything that he did during the war. I only remember him being sober a handful of times over the years. To put it bluntly, he was the town drunk from his neighborhood (think Otis Campbell from the Andy Griffith show). My mother passed on a few years ago and even she never knew anything of what he actually did during the war.

I do know that a lot of those guys came back as alcoholics and that there wasn't any type of support or counseling for them back then. I've always wondered if something that he did or witnessed there factored in the alcoholism.

Anyway, sorry for the aside.
The National Archives has many of those records available on the interwebs.
https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Thank you.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Midnightnoon,

You might also try the veterans office in the county that your grandfather lived in. World War II veterans were encouraged after the War to file a copy of their DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) with the county veterans office or recorder of deeds. That is where I was able to get my grandfather's records. You are fortunate that he was a Marine because Army and Army Air Corps records from WWI and WWII were destroyed in a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Midnightnoon,

You might also try the veterans office in the county that your grandfather lived in. World War II veterans were encouraged after the War to file a copy of their DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) with the county veterans office or recorder of deeds. That is where I was able to get my grandfather's records. You are fortunate that he was a Marine because Army and Army Air Corps records from WWI and WWII were destroyed in a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

Thank you. I will give them a call.