Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Pearl Harbor Day

Has anyone seen coverage of Pearl Harbor Remembrance*day? Or even mention of it? MSNBC, NBC News have nothing. CNN...nothing, but you can learn all about Kim Kartrashian's brasserie or what 45 ate for breakfast and if his a.m.b.m. was regular. Fox has a story buried in their Lifestyles section.*

Have we reached a day when an event that altered world history is no longer recognized because...disinterest? Is it politically*incorrect?
I lost my dad 11 years ago and I miss him every day (USN Aviator 1943-1945). Today, I am almost glad he's not alive to be as discouraged and disappointed as I am.

Thanks to all those who have served our nation in any*capacity...and to those who have lost loved ones while protecting our freedom and liberty. On December*7th, 1941, 2403 Americans were killed. Over 1000 more were wounded. If those*facts happen to offend someone, I have no intention of apologizing.

2016 Jay Feather 23RB Elite
2017 F-150 4x4 Sport
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Twin Turbo

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
DooDahDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #2

There were 2 stories on Fox 35 in Orlando last night and this morning.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/pe...1-attack-on-us

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/re...n-pearl-harbor
Old 12-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Well on the plus side it's all over Facebook. At least in the groups and people I follow.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #4

yes. A few great stories in DFW
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #5

I think that the younger generation really doesn't care about the past. The media doesn't care about it neither.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #6

My father was on the Nevada. Over the years we refought every battle Dad was in.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There were 2 stories on Fox 35 in Orlando last night and this morning.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/pe...1-attack-on-us

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/re...n-pearl-harbor
Thanks Grumpy - and not just brief mention, but informative articles.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

I'm glad to know it got some coverage. Still a little respect out there.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
yes. A few great stories in DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Well on the plus side it's all over Facebook. At least in the groups and people I follow.
Thanks for confirming. It restores a little bit of my faith. Since I'm not on any social media, I suppose my exposure to some positivity could be limited. Appreciate you guys taking the time to respond with affirmation.
Safe Travels -

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
I think that the younger generation really doesn't care about the past. The media doesn't care about it neither.
I feel similar - hope we're both wrong. It all starts with education, imo.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 08:01 AM   #11
Site Team

It was the closing segment last night on Fox, Jesse Waters show. I knew someone who was blown off a tender that was tied up to a battleship at Pearl that day and lived to retire from the Navy. He passed 5 years ago.
We remember his sacrifice on this day every year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #12

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
My father was on the Nevada. Over the years we refought every battle Dad was in.
It's with a complete sense of inadequacy that I offer my admiration*and appreciation to your father, you and your family, Cliff. My dad never spoke much about his experiences, but he made sure my brothers and I knew how honored he felt to serve his country. My folks spent 63 years together in service...to the nation, to their church and their communities, to those who were less fortunate...but especially to their family. My brothers*and I were very lucky...I hope the same is true for you.

~Mark

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It was the closing segment last night on Fox, Jesse Waters show. I knew someone who was blown off a tender that was tied up to a battleship at Pearl that day and lived to retire from the Navy. He passed 5 years ago.
We remember his sacrifice on this day every year.
Very glad to hear about the coverage on Waters' show. My respects to your friend and to you guys for keeping the flame lit all these years.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #14

Thanks for this Forum

I gravitated here knowing that responses would be respectful and positive. As a social media hermit, there must have been a need...an essential need that many Americans must have...to hear and read about goodness. It replenishes our faith and fortifies us against all of the vitriol and ugliness thrown up in our faces by instigators who only wish to divide us.

This forum did not disappoint. Thanks to you all.

2017 F-150 4x4 Sport

Old 12-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #15

I have a degree in history and taught it in public schools for almost a decade before enrollment changes cost me my dream career. I believe that remembering significant events is important. That said, as the generations become more and more removed from the event, they remember it less and less. The major event in my life was the September 11 terrorist attacks because of how they changed my life leading to multiple tours in Iraq. I'm sure my grand kids will not pause and think about that important event.

You said your father served in the Navy at Pearl. God Bless Him and I'm glad he made it home. You have a direct connection and are only one generation removed from the event, so it is still significant for you.

But I wonder, do you stop and remember the significance of April 19th? (The Battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775). How about January 8th? (The Battle of New Orleans in 1814). What about July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? (The Battle of Gettysburg in 1863). Maybe June 25th? (The Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876). How about May 7th? (The Sinking of the Lusitania that prompted us to join WWI on the side of the Allies). I would guess not, and neither do I quite frankly. I wouldn't expect most people would because we are several generations removed from those events.

Please don't think I'm justifying not remembering important events. I'm doing quite the opposite actually. But maybe this is the reason for us not remembering as long as we should.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
That said, as the generations become more and more removed from the event, they remember it less and less

And that goes back to the first post. As our news media becomes caught up in other more recent history, they fail to recognize or even mention past.

As an Air Force brat, we were stationed at Hickam from 1952 until 1956. The war had ended seven years prior but the USS Arizona was a shadow below the water line with some of the stacks still above water, leaking fuel oil and the USS Utah was rolled on her side sunk in the harbor. The barracks at Hickam was covered with bullet pock marks and the mess hall was still being rebuilt. It was not unusual as a kid wandering the base to find spent or live ammunition in lots and fields on base. Yes, I remember it well. As an young man on a military base that had been the opening scene of a major war that has stuck with me through my life.

The other battles and skirmishes, yes as a history buff, I know of them and have studied a few but the Battle of Little Big Horn is probably remembered by families of the Native survivors more than the rest of our population. Much like Wounded Knee.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I have a degree in history and taught it in public schools for almost a decade before enrollment changes cost me my dream career. I believe that remembering significant events is important. That said, as the generations become more and more removed from the event, they remember it less and less. The major event in my life was the September 11 terrorist attacks because of how they changed my life leading to multiple tours in Iraq. I'm sure my grand kids will not pause and think about that important event.

You said your father served in the Navy at Pearl. God Bless Him and I'm glad he made it home. You have a direct connection and are only one generation removed from the event, so it is still significant for you.

But I wonder, do you stop and remember the significance of April 19th? (The Battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775). How about January 8th? (The Battle of New Orleans in 1814). What about July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? (The Battle of Gettysburg in 1863). Maybe June 25th? (The Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876). How about May 7th? (The Sinking of the Lusitania that prompted us to join WWI on the side of the Allies). I would guess not, and neither do I quite frankly. I wouldn't expect most people would because we are several generations removed from those events.

Please don't think I'm justifying not remembering important events. I'm doing quite the opposite actually. But maybe this is the reason for us not remembering as long as we should.
That is why it is important for schools to teach history!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #18
Site Team

By the way may dad also served in the US Navy in WW2 on an LST in the Pacific.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:36 AM   #19

As I mentioned my father was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/1941, and he fought every battle in the South Pacific. One thing he enjoyed telling us was that he was trained in Alaska for cold weather fighting. He said he felt sorry for the guys that were trained for hot weather, jungle fighting because they were assigned really cold places. Any of you heard similar anecdotes
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That is why it is important for schools to teach history!
x1000! I couldn't agree more!

My grandfather was in the U.S. Army in the Pacific. He was at Saipan and Okinawa. His unit help stop the largest banzai charge in history. His regiment suffered something like 80% causalities. He never talked about it. No one in the family knew until I found it doing genealogy. After the War he was in the Army National Guard and was First Sergeant of the same company that I was a Platoon Sergeant in during Iraq.

My uncle was in the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam. He also never talked about it until I came home from Iraq the first time. Then he opened up to me (and only me) on Memorial Day on his deck. I had served in the 101st on active duty several years before and it turned out we were in the same company, but different platoons, about 30 years apart. Huge Army, small world.

I tend to talk about the funny moments when my friends ask about the Army, but most things I keep to myself. My wife has learned not to ask anymore. It's getting harder because my kids want to know about my 14 years of service. How do you talk to them about that?

On a brighter note, since the football game is tomorrow, I have to say "Go Army! Beat Navy!"

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote