Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Pennsylvania Trip

My wife and I are planning a two week trip to Pennsylvania from Michigan.

I think we'll stay in a campground West of Philadelphia and make day trips in our tow vehicle to see various historical sites like Gettysburg.

We'll also want to take the tow vehicle into Philadelphia for some day trips.

QUESTION: What's the traffic like in Philadelphia. As compared to Atlanta, Indianapolis, etc.?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

We spent 3 full days in Gettysburg last summer full days and there still things we wanted to see. I would highly recommend Gettysburg KOA.

Have a good trip.

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Weekdays.. Philly is hard to park in.. Watch the signs no no no.. They will ticket you in a heartbeat.
Weekends better bet. It is still an old city with narrow streets. I haven't been there in a loong time.

Check out Google Maps with the traffic option from time to time. It will give you an idea of the headache or no

You probably will want to see Lancaster and the Amish country.
Be advised. Philly is a long day trip from Gettysburg round trip. One way is over two hours.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

Hands down ... Stay at Gettysburg Campground and eat at Tommy"s Pizza!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team

A welcome to PA before you get here. If coming from Michigan, take RT. 80 across to 99 south through State College down to the PA Turnpike to Gettysburg. Don't try and run the Turnpike the entire way across the state. It is expensive and probably in the worst condition of any of the major roads in PA. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

X2 on the Battlefield KOA in Gettysburg. It is very nice and run by some of the nicest campground hosts I've experienced. I've heard that Artillery Ridge Campground is also very good, but I don't have any first hand feedback for you.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

Living in Harrisburg. Here is my Opinion.
Stay at Gettysburg KOA for a couple nights. You will not see everything at Gettysburg in 1 day.
As for Philadelphia. It is better to park at a commuter rail station and use the subway to get around Philly.
If you have a chance to visit the Sweetest Place on Earth, Visit Chocolate World in Hershey. Parking is FREE and it is a worthwhile tour. Hershey Hotel is a interesting place to walk around.
Brandywine Creek Campground (I have never been there) is outside Philly near Downingtown
Brandywine Creek Campground Contact Info

There is a subway station at Downingtown.
Philadelphia subway map

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

What Kim said about parking is true. It's really tough. Lots and garages in the city are expensive. Parking police are Ninjas I swear....if that meter expires for one second you'll have a ticket....
A lot of people are parking at the airport and taking the train, or Uber into the city. Parking at the airport is relatively inexpensive.
I like Philly....historic district is very nice.....it can be crowded. I also like Chinatown...good food and cheap.

Good Luck
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

Traffic in Philly is Chaotic, drivers tailgate, cut in front with no signal and any space more than a car length in front of you is fair game for someone to pull into. Rush hour traffic on all interstate roads is bumper to bumper. Parking can be tough, be sure to watch the signs and stay paid up at meters. Avoid I-95 and I-76 in the Philly area at all costs during peak traffic hours. Ezee Pass is a great thing to have and use.

Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell building are good visits. Gettysburg is over 2 hours from downtown Philly. There are Lots of Amish buggies on back roads in the Lancaster area, drive with caution. Be polite, they do not appreciate being photographed.

The Battleship New Jersey is just over the bridge in Camden.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #9

The museum of the American Revolution just opened up last year and is a very worthwhile trip. So is going to a phillies game if they're in town when you are. I agree, train in to town, walk or uber between places. Parking in town is bad and theres no one good place to park to see everything. The zoo is good, outside the zoo is not. Plenty of great places to eat, besides cheese steaks. Hope you enjoy it.
Stevek10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #10

There are TONS of campgrounds very close to Gettysburg. KOA, Gettysburg Campground, Drummer Boy, Round Top, and Artillery Ridge are the closest that we've found. They are all within a 10 minute drive. Just make sure there aren't any festivals when you come, and you should be fine.

The only issue I saw with the KOA was that during peak season it was VERY crowded. The sites were quite close. However, I did not tour the rest during the summer, so they may have been the same. I felt that Gettysburg Campground gave a bit of breathing room, but that just my opinion.
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #11

I live in Lancaster, and IMHO Gettysburg and Philadelphia are not anywhere near close enough to each other for comfortable day trips from one to the other. You'd be better off camping in Gettysburg for a couple of days, and then another couple of days near Philly. But DON'T plan on driving into Philly, the traffic is nuts and parking is a nightmare. Find a campground near a SEPTA station (SEPTA is the area public transit), and commute in. For that matter, you could base yourself in Lancaster and commute to both Gettysburg and Philly. Good luck and enjoy!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #12

Check into it..i believe if you stay in Lancaster the commute to Gettysburg is an hour or so. There is or WAS a train that runs from Lancaster to Philly you could take and not have to worry much about parking and traffic. Just an idea.
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog72 View Post
Check into it..i believe if you stay in Lancaster the commute to Gettysburg is an hour or so. There is or WAS a train that runs from Lancaster to Philly you could take and not have to worry much about parking and traffic. Just an idea.
Amtrak from Lancaster to Philly. They run a whole bunch of trains every day, from early AM to well into the evening hours. Trip is just over an hour.

If you get a little closer to Philly you can ride the SEPTA trains, from places like Coatesville or Downingtown. SEPTA makes more stops.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

You might want to stay at a more centralized location. I live in York Co, Harrisburg is 45 mins north, Baltimore 1 hr south, Philly is 2 hours to the east and Gettysburg about 45 mins to the west. To catch the sights and to view Amish country you can take Rt 30, it goes from Gettysburg to Philly as an alternate to the turnpike. An RV site off of Rt 30 might work well for you.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

I attended a national convention in Philly years ago. Trying to find where to park I asked a police man. He said where was I from, I said Illinois, he said go home and park there and walked away. I have never been back, and that was the attitude of many of the people working in the convention hall also. In my opinion, if this country ever gets an enema, Philly is where it would be given.... JMHO.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Site Team

My brother-in-law is a chef and was working for years in some of the upscale places in NY. Just this January, he took a position working in a restaurant in Philly. I haven't been there yet to see where he is working, but it is supposedly near the Art Museum somewhere. He claims that Philly is the fastest growing restaurant scene in the eastern US and was excited to be able to move from NY to work there. Go figure......
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #17

My opinion is if you don't love in a big city, there's not much variance in the degrees of bad in the places you mentioned. They are all just bad and you have to be ready for the experience and deal with it. Contrary to everyone else's comments, we had a really good experience a few years ago. We traded motorhomes in North PA and since we were driving that far, we wanted to make a long weekend of it. I found out we could park the motorhome in the visitor bus parking to see the liberty Bell. So we drove the motorhome down to the Independence visitor center in the morning. We had no problem navigating. We traded in the afternoon. We camped outside of Gettysburg and the next day we did the auto your with the 35' motorhome. With two weeks, I would agree it'll be easier to split your time between a couple of campgrounds. I do recommend Hershey, is work the time.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #18

Thank you all for really useful advice.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #19

All the city-traffic advise is on point; consider a stop on the way in at Prince Gallatzin State Park. It is lovely, on a great lake that offers kayak rentals and a cute store with great ice cream IN the park.. nice 'neighborhood' loop setups. We like the SP gig and this one was a mid-state winner!

Rob & Lynda
Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
tv: 2015 Chevy Tahoe LS
Finding our joy daily in camping, wine, golf, NASCAR and state parks!
njhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #20

Commute into Philly and park at the airport or treat the wife and stay at one of the nice hotels with valet for the night. My wife and I stayed at the Logan Hotel overnight. Great restaurant there I think it was called the Urban Farmer. The city is cool to sightsee. You can get a all day ticket to the tour bus I think its called hop on hop off. Lots of museums and Independence Hall is Awesome!!