Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #41

A few, very select few, of my closest friends that I trust I would. These are proven operators of similar equipment and other crazy contraptions that have passed the test a long time ago.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #42

Go rent or buy your own! Yes I am selfish, but I've made a big investment. You can ask me questions thats about all.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #43

My neighbor asked if he could borrow ours just this last fall. I dodged the question at first and then it came up again when I had the trailer at the house preparing for a trip.

I tried to explain to him that it has a bit of a learning curve, that systems take some time to learn, etc. etc.. He thought he had an answer for all of it. So, I simply said "Well, let's see if your vehicle can tow it". He was convinced it could. He promptly backed his Tahoe up ten minutes later and I lowered the full tongue weight onto his hitch (this was before my ProPride). He had no idea about weight distribution hitches and I wasn't about to tell him. Needless to say, without the distribution bars installed his headlights were pointed at the sky, the bumper was about to hit the pavement and his rear tires seemed like they were going to burst. Problem solved.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #44

Nice thing about a 5th wheel, no one asks to borrow it. I would never lend my boat to in laws and they all thought I was a jerk.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #45

I don't have many friends comfortable with towing any trailer larger than a sheet of plywood so none of them has asked to borrow my trailer.

My wife's friend from high school visits us every couple of years and asked us about the camper once. I offered to set it up at a local CG so she and her family could stay in it for a few nights but they haven't taken us up on the offer.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #46

there is 1 person i would loan it to but he would never ask unless it was an emergency
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #47

I couldn’t have said it better.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
My trailer is 35ft so I doubt anyone would ever ask to borrow it - intimidating I guess.

On the flip side, I have borrowed a couple of my friends trailers before I bought one. I took one to the other side of the state and then another guy let me take his for a few weeks up the California coast.

If someone I knew did ask, it would depend on who they were and if I knew they could handle it, were responsible (including financially) and if they had any clue about what they were doing before making a blanket no decision. People have given me the shirt off their back, so I would hope I would do the same - just depends on who, what and where details.
I agree 100 per cent. I couldn’t have phrased it any better.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #49

It’s just stuff. The day my stuff is more important than my family is the day I get rid of all my stuff. Yep ocaissionally stuff gets damaged by neglect, ignorance, and irresponsibility but it’s just stuff. We don’t allow ourselves to be taken advantage of but the Good Lord has blessed us with many things and sharing our good fortune in life is part of the cost.

That being said I have a 41’ fifth wheel that no-one has ever asked to tow it away and borrow it and no-one probably ever will. We have though set it up at a campsite for one our relatives to use for a week.

Each to their own.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Yugo View Post
Go rent or buy your own! Yes I am selfish, but I've made a big investment. You can ask me questions thats about all.
My exact answer as well. I couldn't even imagine asking someone to use their camper. Plus there isn't a weekend that goes by that we aren't using it ourselves

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #51

Best way to lose friends, and cause family problems is to loan expensive items to them. Who's responsible if something happens? Even if an RV is repaired it will never be the same, especially if something happens to a frame in an accident. It may be able to be "fixed" but who's going to cover the depreciated long term cost? Anyone I would loan it too, would never ask as they understand. I stopped loaning tools out when half the time they came back either broke or damaged...once people understood they never asked again. Some people have no issue taking advantage of others, thinking your rich cause you have this RV and you can afford it so you should share. The entitlement generation.

No one will take care of your "stuff" like you do. I have some pretty rich friends and have never felt, when we go to dinner, that they should pay for me, since they "can afford it". I'm not jealous of their wealth they earned it. They aren't my friends because they are rich, they just happen to be rich which I'm happy for. They don't owe me anything nor do I them.

It never ends well when you start loaning out "stuff". Now if they need to use a special tool, I'll just come with and do the work myself. I'll "do" for any of my friends.. but won't loan... causes to many bad feelings down the road.

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #52

There are two people I would l loan either my trailer or chainsaw to in a second. One is a long time friend and the other is my brother-in-law. They both have experience in the use of each item. But it will never happen because they both have their own trailers and saws. And I would never think to ask to borrow their stuff.
In the early '90s I set up a spring arm pop-up for my sister to use. I told her in no uncertain terms to not fold it up, just let me know and I would drive the 1/2 mile and take care of it. Well she had 'help' from a friend and saved me the time and promptly cut the screen with one of the spring arms. We didn't discover the damage until the next time we used it and of course nothing to repair it with where we were camping. She apologized but I'm guessing she hasn't been camping since. Last and only time I've loaned any camping stuff.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
The answer was, is, and always will be no. But I’ll teach you everything I can about RVing, ownership and maintenance, and even help you make the right selection when you purchase your OWN trailer. Basically the stuff I had to learn the hard way.

As an example, my brother recently retired, and he and his wife are thinking of renting a Class C to do some travelling. I was the first person he thought of calling, so I told him everything I could. But borrowing our trailer never came up. Besides, we both know he can’t back up a trailer!
My parents took us with them when they got their fiver. I would have never asked to take it without them, however, and we are very close to them and would ask just about anything else of each other.
They showed us how theirs worked before we bought, and they met us on our shake-down trip to help us.

Although ours is too small to bring anyone with us in the trailer except a few kids, I would be happy to meet people at a campground with cabins and they could see how it all worked, etc.
But I would not just hand it over.
Some of my relatives will ask, I'm sure. And they are the ones that would not take care of it.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #54

Ya told him why...we all work hard for our rigs and we like to enjoy them as well.
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #55

No.
Except for one of my brothers or my dad. Other than that, I would in an emergency like a natural disaster or loss of a home or some other stroke of misfortune. I would be prepared to right it off and hope for the best when I got it back. But just to camp or vacation in - No Way, Jose!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown74 View Post
I’ve gone a step further and offered up my trailer to my good friend and my in-laws. It’s just a bunch of metal and plastic that is replaceable.
Exactly.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #57

My Wife has food allergies (gluten and corn) so no one would be permitted to borrow our trailer.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
My Wife has food allergies (gluten and corn) so no one would be permitted to borrow our trailer.
One of the reasons we got in to RVing is due to our oldest daughters food allergies. She is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We've never had an issue in a hotel thank God. But, we have always had to be extremely careful when we do stay at one.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #59

we got into camping in part because my cousin offered to pet us barrow her 40 ft camper and I convinced my husband to take her up on it. I think I would let them barrow it, but prolly no one else. pulling 30 foot camper just has a huge learning curve.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #60

Loaned it out three times to the same people. I should day they rented it. However they we staying close and I delivered and picked the trailer up. When it was time to sell it, they purchased it!! Let someone tow it - not a chance!!!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote