Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #81

I had an acquaintance of mine ask if I'd rent him my trailer located on my seasonal site. I said NO..I told him the GC doesn't allow sub letting trailers. With the water heater/awning/plumbing tanks, and a guy with ZERO camper experience, there's no way.
I'm OCD about my stuff. The thought of someone using my rig with me not there would drive me crazy!LOL!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #82

If someone asked I would just say that the hitch is set up specifically to balance the trailer correctly with my truck. So there's no way they could pull it safely with their vehicle...and there ain't no way I'm lending you my trailer AND my truck!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #83

I'd have to tell them that there are many variables involved in the trailering, backing, setup and usage that they couldn't possibly master in the short time they are looking to borrow it.
I'd then offer to let them accompany us on an upcoming trip, so they can see if RVing i for them and also see all the logistics and prep required to get the TT out of the driveway, to a campsite and back
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #84

I have taken my 5th wheel to the local state park and let my mom and aunt spend a long weekend in it. They are/were both avid RVers in the past, and know the systems and how to use them. They are just to an age and health where either pulling/setting up, etc a camper is no longer in the cards... Even took them some split firewood.

Now, my wife's sister has 5 kids that could destroy an anvil. Them borrowing anything of ours is a hard no.....

So, the answer is it depends, but I would never let anyone else tow our 5th wheel. But, that part is easy. No one else in our family has a vehicle capable of towing a 39' 5th.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #85

I guess I am not in the 'no' group for this question.

I have lent mine a few times. I make sure they know what they are doing (no first time pullers), have a tow vehicle that is acceptable to all weight issues, hitch etc, and have insurance that covers the trailer.

This then whittles the pool of likely borrowers to people I know and trust. I can't imagine telling a friend all about the joys of trailering, and then looking them in the eye and telling them I don't trust you with this material thing.

In the long run it is just a trailer. There is not much I own I would not loan to a friend who was sincere in their request.

Just me.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #86

I'm in a position of moving from a TT to a MH, so I find myself forming a new opinion. I would NEVER have lent out my trailer and truck. Only 2 people I know have a truck big enough to tow it, and both of them have units of their own.

With the MH, there are exactly 2 people I would loan it to; my dad and my brother. Both are financially responsible, and have vast experience with both campers and heavy equipment. My brother is the only one who would ask (or at least he would have at one time, he has his own little B+ now). He's borrowed my dad's MH before, and it always came back cleaner than when it left with a full tank of fuel. So, yes, I would let him borrow it. Or better yet, I would just go with him! He's usually going to a race somewhere, and I would love to go anyway!

Any of my other friends know better than to even ask. I have one who might ask (and has proven herself irresponsible in the past), and I would just tell her that insurance coverage doesn't transfer, sorry.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #87

I think I may have responded to this in the past, but I have aged a lot since then. Don't know if this response is consistent with my first one. But I would say, no. If I was feeling particularly charitable I might say, sorry, no.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #88
Site Team

A big old NO!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Have any of you had friends or relatives ask to borrow your travel trailer?
So far we haven't, but I believe the question will come up.
Never. Ever
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #90

No way they can borrow the T T, my pickup, my boat, my lawn mower, my dog, my tool box or my wife. She might like it there and not come back and then who would take care of me?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #91

Our RV only sleeps 2 people...wife and myself...not a brother or a sister....it is our private place.....our house can accommodate 15 but not the RV....absolutely NO ONE uses it but us....now...if they want to lease it for 25k a day with money up front I might consider...but only slightly....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Best way to lose friends, and cause family problems is to loan expensive items to them. Who's responsible if something happens? Even if an RV is repaired it will never be the same, especially if something happens to a frame in an accident. It may be able to be "fixed" but who's going to cover the depreciated long term cost? Anyone I would loan it too, would never ask as they understand. I stopped loaning tools out when half the time they came back either broke or damaged...once people understood they never asked again. Some people have no issue taking advantage of others, thinking your rich cause you have this RV and you can afford it so you should share. The entitlement generation.

No one will take care of your "stuff" like you do. I have some pretty rich friends and have never felt, when we go to dinner, that they should pay for me, since they "can afford it". I'm not jealous of their wealth they earned it. They aren't my friends because they are rich, they just happen to be rich which I'm happy for. They don't owe me anything nor do I them.

It never ends well when you start loaning out "stuff". Now if they need to use a special tool, I'll just come with and do the work myself. I'll "do" for any of my friends.. but won't loan... causes to many bad feelings down the road.

Happy Camping !
Exactly!! I have in laws that would break something, not say anything about and then stick me with the bill. They would say "it was fine when we used it"

NO, NO, NO. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #93

I'm in the it depends camp. Too many variables to just make a blanket yes or no.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #94

This is an interesting question. I’ve gently probed our son with the suggestion of using our 5th, the sense of it is he’s not up to it. In general, I’m not inclined to “loaning”. The easy answer is “you don’t have a suitable TV and I need my truck”.
I’ve made enough mistakes (with associated damage) to be comfortable with it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #95

I haven't had good luck with loaning my crap. One guy returned my 20" Stihl chainsaw in pieces, bent bar and all. Another had my car hauler for a couple hours and managed to bend a fender. That was a long time ago. Learned my lesson well.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #96

I can't let someone borrow it. I'm either using it or working on it. Sometimes both. Just not enough time.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #97

We had a 10 year old heavily used popup. Our son had gone with us many times including driving while towing and settingup/tearing down.

When he asked to borrow it we had no problem. With our current 195RB I would hesitate to loan it as he has no experience with it or towing anything similar.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #98

I will always say "No" just from a liability standpoint. I doubt most insurance companies would cover use by a third party unless you have commercial coverage. If your neighbor borrowed your RV and drove it down the freeway after "Just two beers" and got into an accident I doubt the insurance company would cover it. Same goes if it was stolen....

Besides, I take pride in my stuff and am very fussy about how my black tank is dumped......
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #99

This is an old thread, but I'm reminded of a quote from noted philosopher, Red Green.

"If it ain't broke, don't loan it".
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #100

loaning never hell I don't even want people pooping in my RV
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote