Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #1

Perplexing water problem

I have a perplexing RV water problem.🤔I was trying to sanitize my fresh water (potable)tank yesterday. I do this by flushing it out 1st then fill again using a half cup bleach, fill and drain. Then I fill with about 5 gallons of water, another 1/2c bleach, then pressurize the system and turn on each faucet to push the bleach through.
When I turned the pump on to pressurize the system, It wouldn’t pressurize at first but I finally got the pump to stop. I heard water running so I checked and found water coming out of the fresh water (city) input. There was no hose or water input attached to it, it was just running out. I didn’t think there was a connection between the fresh water tank and the city water input. Any idea? Pump? Is there a check valve between the city water input and fresh water tank? Any help appreciated. Leaving tomorrow on 3 day trip down to AZ

Info: 2016 27’ Jayco White Hawk
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #2

Sounds like the check vale in the city water inlet is stuck in. There is a cone shaped filter inside that inlet. Make sure the tip of the cone is facing OUT. If the cone is correctly orientated, pull it out and see if the stem of the check valve is stuck in.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Sounds like the check vale in the city water inlet is stuck in. There is a cone shaped filter inside that inlet. Make sure the tip of the cone is facing OUT.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I may have reversed the sien filter/gasket to keep the valve in to blow out the system last fall. I’ll check that and report back.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Sounds like the check vale in the city water inlet is stuck in. There is a cone shaped filter inside that inlet. Make sure the tip of the cone is facing OUT. If the cone is correctly orientated, pull it out and see if the stem of the check valve is stuck in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. I may have reversed the sien filter/gasket to keep the valve in to blow out the system last fall. I’ll check that and report back.
Spot on Marcam157! Filter was reversed and check valve seized open. Released check valve and system pressurizes.
A BIG Thank You
Old 02-22-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
EJH

This tread is amazing. I think you fixed my issue with water leaking out the city inlet too. My cone filter was facing inward also, pressing the stem of the check valve open. I reversed it. It seems to work. However, I cannot verify for sure as the unit is still winterized for a few more weeks. If all is good, you all saved me a trip to the dealer. For that, I am grateful.

I did try forcing some compressed air into the inlet and it went in ok.The valve did make some noise, when air was forced it. It sounded like there was vibrate due to the air coming in or something. Is that to be expected without real water going in? I guess I'll find out when I un-winterize in three weeks.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
Spot on Marcam157! Filter was reversed and check valve seized open. Released check valve and system pressurizes.
A BIG Thank You
You're welcome - Glad I could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJH View Post
This tread is amazing. I think you fixed my issue with water leaking out the city inlet too. My cone filter was facing inward also, pressing the stem of the check valve open. I reversed it. It seems to work. However, I cannot verify for sure as the unit is still winterized for a few more weeks. If all is good, you all saved me a trip to the dealer. For that, I am grateful.

I did try forcing some compressed air into the inlet and it went in ok.The valve did make some noise, when air was forced it. It sounded like there was vibrate due to the air coming in or something. Is that to be expected without real water going in? I guess I'll find out when I un-winterize in three weeks.
Be careful using compressed air on the closed system unless you regulate it down to a safe PSI...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
EJH

Quote:
Be careful using compressed air on the closed system unless you regulate it down to a safe PSI...

My system is not closed as my water input valve is the type that does both the fresh fill and city input. I have a lever to change where the water goes once it passes the inlet w/ check valve. I set the lever to fresh fill, which is not a closed system (due to the overflow tubing - I could hear the air escaping from the fresh fill's overflow). I also set my air compressor to 30-40 PSI when using it on the trailer's plumbing.

Again thanks. This thread most likely saved me a dealer visit