Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Picked up the 294BHS today! Have question...

Hello Everyone,

We picked up our new 294BHS today. PDI went well and didn't find any problems. I copied the PDI walk thru list on this forum and checked everything. (thank you for posting such a helpful thread!)

Now I am going through the big pack of documents that come with an RV and found something that has me confused. Actually two questions have arisen so far....

1. Jayco website says that ALL of their Swift trailers have the DiFlex II roof material... however, in my pack is only a sheet from Alpha Systems! So, which roof did I get???

2. Who makes the electric tongue jack that came on my trailer? There is a data sheet for installation but there isn't a company name on it anywhere! It is the 3500 lb tongue jack if that helps any. Also, was I supposed to get the manual crank tool with my trailer.. or is that something I have to buy separate?

Thanks to all who can help with this stuff! I'm sure more questions will come about as I explore this trailer more.

James
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

I don't know about the roof but we just bought a new 264bhs and it came with the manual crank tool.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #3

Thank you... looks like I need to make a call to the dealer... sigh...

James
Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

Sometimes they will hide those extras in strange places - make sure you check all your storage compartments, drawers, etc. first.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

The man who gave me the PDI told me that he didn't think any tool came with it when I asked him in person... I have looked through all storage areas.

James
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

The DiFlex II roofing material is manufactured by Dicor. It is possible that that the main TT roofing material is DiFlex II and the slide roofing material is manufactured by Alpha.

I would contact Jayco directly (have VIN on hand) and confirm what your specific material(s) are used on your unit......, possible Jayco may have changed roofing material based on inventory. IMO send Jayco an e-mail via their web site, that way their returned e-mail response will be a formal document for your owners manual (ask specifically about the "slide" and "main" roof materials).

Important to know the exact material(s) for proper care.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #7

Stupid dealership people. Obviously you knew more than he did about the trailer you were buying! When you call about the crank, tell him you're also missing the Flux Capacitor and see what he says.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #8

Okay then.....
So I called Jayco. Spoke with a very nice woman. She didn't know anything! Wow!!

She said that Dicor is a part of Alpha Systems and that they are the same!!

She said that TPO is the same as an EDPM rubber roof.

She looked up my VIN and said that the build sheet shows Alpha Systems Superflex White on both roof and slide out.

Now I'm not sure what to do because I don't really trust what the company person just told me.

James
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, I have had both a TPO and EPDM roofing materials installed on my TT and the membranes are different. TPO is a thermo-plastic material and EPDM is a rubber material ....., not the same.

Very possible that Dicor may now be part of the Alpha Systems LLC (or vise- versa), but Supeflex is a Alpha product and DiFlex II is a Dicor product.

IMO Jayco has created a lot of confusion recently with the number of different roofing materials used on their products in the last 2-3 years, and because of the membrane composition differences not all caulking and sealer products are compatible.

Based on what you were advised, I would send them an e-mail confirming your phone conversation and ask what caulking/sealants are compatible with the Alpha Supeflex material. The fact that Jayco is holding the owner responsible for maintaining seals and seams while under warranty, they should provided the name of approved/recommended maintanence products.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

I called Alpha. They said that regular Dicor lap sealant can be used without problems. Said roof would deform at first and when dicor cured, the roof would lay back down like normal.

I guess Diccor it will be.

James
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
I called Alpha. They said that regular Dicor lap sealant can be used without problems. Said roof would deform at first and when dicor cured, the roof would lay back down like normal.

I guess Diccor it will be.

James
This makes me feel A LOT better. I picked up a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant for my roof recently, and I was afraid I might have to get rid of it

I don't know what roof I have (documents are in the trailer in storage), but I have a feeling based on descriptions that i have the Alpha...

Anyone know if it's safe to use traditional cleaners (like Spic & Span) on the Alpha roof? I haven't bought anything to clean it yet, so I'd like to know what I should get...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This makes me feel A LOT better. I picked up a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant for my roof recently, and I was afraid I might have to get rid of it

I don't know what roof I have (documents are in the trailer in storage), but I have a feeling based on descriptions that i have the Alpha...

Anyone know if it's safe to use traditional cleaners (like Spic & Span) on the Alpha roof? I haven't bought anything to clean it yet, so I'd like to know what I should get...
From what I have read so far (and MAN have I read), Spic and Span is the thing to use. It says it on the Alpha instructions I got.

James
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
From what I have read so far (and MAN have I read), Spic and Span is the thing to use. It says it on the Alpha instructions I got.

James
Whew! Crisis averted!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

During my walk through I asked what the cap on top of the tongue jack was for.
He said that was for the manual crank. I then asked where the crank was and he said they are usually in the basement. We looked and no crank.

He said that too many times kids void of attentive parents take them. So what did he do, he went over to another trailer and took the one out of it. I hope the person who buys that trailer has the knowledge to ask.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #15

Where is the PDI walkthrough list located on this forum?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Where is the PDI walkthrough list located on this forum?
Here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18379

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS