Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Are you sure the Edge won't to it?
A quick search shows the Edge having a max towing of 2000#
__________________

__________________
Charles in SLC, UT (formerly in Cincinnati, OH.)
2014 F-150 XLT, 3.5EB , HDPP
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
tdekeyser1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Plains
Posts: 22
The AWD Edge can tow 3500lbs. I just sold one. I would not tow anything over 2000lbs with it.
__________________

__________________
2016 Jayco Baja 185RB
2007 Lifted Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4
tdekeyser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 796
What type of vehicle would you like?

Another CUV?
Bigger SUV?
Midsize pickup?
Full size pickup?
Full size SUV?

Let us know and we can provide better suggestions for you, but there are a lot of vehicles that can tow that trailer.

Cheers
__________________
2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS, 300W Solar!
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 255
I can't speak specifically to your situation but I can tell you mine. I made the mistake of listening to a dealer and bought a 29qbs last year. My TV was a Silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3l V8. Don't remember the exact numbers but pretty sure my max tow was 9800lbs. Max trailer weight being 9500lbs I figured I was fine. Not the case. With my trailer hooked up and nobody in the truck I was already at my rear axle weight limit. I had no idea that the was a thing till I started reading about towing and at that point already owned the trailer. My bad!! I did whatever I could to make for a better tow experience. I added stable loads, I bought a good weight distribution hitch and I was always very careful to how I loaded everything. I towed a fair bit with that set up and always had good experiences. Even towed in a 40mph cross wind on a very busy 2lane highway. Every time I was loading up my family in the truck I felt like I was doing something wrong and the entire point of the camper was family fun. Much easier to have fun if you have less to stress about and let me tell you being at your TV's limit is and should be stressful!! I know some aren't but ignorance is bliss as they say!! Long story short, more truck the better! Sorry about the long reply but it's something I feel very strongly about.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
I can't speak specifically to your situation but I can tell you mine. I made the mistake of listening to a dealer and bought a 29qbs last year. My TV was a Silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3l V8. Don't remember the exact numbers but pretty sure my max tow was 9800lbs. Max trailer weight being 9500lbs I figured I was fine. Not the case. With my trailer hooked up and nobody in the truck I was already at my rear axle weight limit. I had no idea that the was a thing till I started reading about towing and at that point already owned the trailer. My bad!! I did whatever I could to make for a better tow experience. I added stable loads, I bought a good weight distribution hitch and I was always very careful to how I loaded everything. I towed a fair bit with that set up and always had good experiences. Even towed in a 40mph cross wind on a very busy 2lane highway. Every time I was loading up my family in the truck I felt like I was doing something wrong and the entire point of the camper was family fun. Much easier to have fun if you have less to stress about and let me tell you being at your TV's limit is and should be stressful!! I know some aren't but ignorance is bliss as they say!! Long story short, more truck the better! Sorry about the long reply but it's something I feel very strongly about.
I knew I wasn't the only one, but that story was eerily similar to mine! LOL! All better now though.

I agree that you should weigh as much as you can while estimating. Could be that the Edge will do just fine, but no way to really tell on paper. Weights and measures could be good on paper, and give you a horrible experience on the road.

I would consider a 150/1500 pickup. Just about as much utility as the Edge, and a lot more capacity. But then, I'm a pickup guy, and I use my truck like a truck (hauling stuff in the bed) so my usage pattern supports such a vehicle. And I live in the country where pickups are the norm. If you're hauling people more than anything else, and dealing with an urban environment, an SUV might be a better fit. That's why DW drives a crossover (GMC Acadia). Which ironically enough, you can get with a 5K towing capacity. A friend of mine tows her trailer with her Acadia, and has nothing but good things to say about it. As mentioned before, be sure to get the factory tow package.

Sorry for the rambling...
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nashville
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
A quick search shows the Edge having a max towing of 2000#
Ford says different. I don't know where you got your info. I would assume anyone thinking of towing would have the factory tow package as that's how you get a factory hitch and tranny cooler.

2016 Ford Edge | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
secal48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 222
Our x17z comes in at about 3500 lbs and we tow comfortably with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Factory tow package rates it about 5000 lbs. Dodge Durango will do about the same for you. Haven't needed a wdh but do use an anti sway bar. Good luck.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Ford says different. I don't know where you got your info. I would assume anyone thinking of towing would have the factory tow package as that's how you get a factory hitch and tranny cooler.

2016 Ford Edge | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Thanks for the correction.
__________________
Charles in SLC, UT (formerly in Cincinnati, OH.)
2014 F-150 XLT, 3.5EB , HDPP
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 80
Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
fielro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Trussville, Al
Posts: 2,094
Yep, the dealer will tell you can tow a 30' with a VW bug
__________________

__________________
Ron, Barbara & rescues Beamer (Lab mix), Buddy (Cavalier spaniel), Ruger (Golden retriever), Stanley (Bassett/Springer mix) and 3 grandsons
2012 Jayco Feather 29L BH
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax and Equalizer WDH
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.