Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

Pink ice

So, after weeks of pulling whats left of my gray hair out, I finally found the water valve (thanks to this site) to my ice maker! I mean, really, why 2 and why 1 under stove and one under sink? Anyway, even though its only producing about 3 cubes and hour, its pink! I assume this is antifreeze but how long will it take to clear the ice maker? With as slow as production is, I may be able to use the ice by Christmas! Any suggestions? Why the slow production? Thanks for your help.

2015 38FLSA Pinnacle
Samsung residential
MDC's First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #2

It's not making ice because of the antifreeze. An icemaker works on temp and if the cubes aren't frozen it won't cycle.

There is a small button under the front of the icemaker you can push to cycle it manually to hopefully move it along.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's not making ice because of the antifreeze.
^^^^^ This is exactly right^^^^^

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #4

Suck water out of icemaker with shopvac with the skinny attachment let icemaker cycle and repeat until water no longer pink
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

You may need to change out your water filter, then run about 10 glasses of water out of the water dispenser. Ours makes ice very quickly after that. We have to change out our filter every spring.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Thanks everyone! There is no water dispenser nor filter. I'll look for the cycle button and give that a try. I felt like I conquered the world just finding the valve under the sink! I'll be immortal when I have ice!
MDC's First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC's First View Post
Thanks everyone! There is no water dispenser nor filter. I'll look for the cycle button and give that a try. I felt like I conquered the world just finding the valve under the sink! I'll be immortal when I have ice!
Put a bypass valve on the line that feeds the ice maker and drain it separately like you do the water heater. You keep the pink stuff out of your water heater an can do the same with the ice maker.

Blow out the line to the icemaker before you bypass it Be sure to sop the remaining water out of the final fill where the ice is made. Problems with onboard [installed] icemakers is why I don't have one. Easiest to use a portable or just buy one bag at a time.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
It's not making ice because of the antifreeze. An icemaker works on temp and if the cubes aren't frozen it won't cycle.
Ours made Pink Ice cubes from anti-freeze. RV Anti-freeze does freeze, it just does not expand when it freezes.

Our residential frig makes 8 cubes at a time. It demands water every couple hours. It took about 12 hours before the ice cubes were clear, but then we made ice cubes for another 36 hours before the Anti-freeze taste was gone.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Ours made Pink Ice cubes from anti-freeze. RV Anti-freeze does freeze, it just does not expand when it freezes.

-Michael
That is good information! I had no idea. So, the residual water in the fresh water tank had better be miniscule to prevent expansion I suppose. (I drain but I do not blow).
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post

-Michael
Water freezes at 32, RV antifreeze at around 10 to 12. Most Icemakers must hit 15 degrees to cycle properly. My guess, your unit had a water/antifreeze mix, not pure antifreeze.

OP said he only had 3 cubes in an hour.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Water freezes at 32, RV antifreeze at around 10 to 12. Most Icemakers must hit 15 degrees to cycle properly. My guess, your unit had a water/antifreeze mix, not pure antifreeze.
When we winterized, we winterized the entire camper and then left the pump on over night with the refrigerator on. The ice maker used almost half a gallon of RV Antifreeze. The system didn't make ice cubes then, there was just a large slushy, frozen puddle in the bottom of the ice maker's catch bin.

When we de-winterized, we just let the ice maker pull from city water supply, so it is possible there was some water in there, but it made pick ice cubes right from the first batch.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #12

I captured the antifreeze last spring for reuse. Maybe I out to either pitch it out (because of possible dilution) or add another gallon or two of the pink stuff.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote