Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Member
 
Guntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Avonmore
Posts: 47
Plan for picking up new 26BH & road trip home...

We pick up our new 26BH on Friday, May 20th from a dealer 6 hours away and would like some feedback on our plan.

The whole family (me, wife, daughters 7&4) are heading to my sisters place (1 hour from dealer) the day before to spend the night.

Friday morning we all (including my sister to watch the kids) will head to the dealer for our PDI, etc. Then we are heading to a campground less than an hour away.

We then spend the rest of the long weekend hopping campgrounds, driving no more than 3 hours per day until we get home,

We have lots of camping experience, but not in a travel trailer. What essentials should we bring?

Should I take the main 4-lane highways (100km/h or 60mph) or slower side roads (80km/h or 50mph)? The 4-lane highways take me right through Toronto, but the backroads add about 3 hours to the total drive.

Suggestions?
__________________

__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L V8
Guntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ottawasteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 293
There are some great packing lists online. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you a checklist. Camping near where you pick up the trailer is a great idea as you will have more time to examine and try everything out in your trailer and ensure it works. During your PDI find out how to adjust your WD hitch and make sure you have the tools to do that as you may find you need to adjust your WD hitch.


As far a s driving through Toronto, as long as you go outside peak hours, nice wide multi-lanes are great to drive with the trailer. You might find it worthwhile to take the toll highways if they are available on your route. Stop and go driving in traffic is brutal with a large trailer and I try to avoid it as much as possible.


Happy Camping.
__________________

__________________
2015 Eagle 284BHBE

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Member
 
Guntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Avonmore
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
As far a s driving through Toronto, as long as you go outside peak hours, nice wide multi-lanes are great to drive with the trailer. You might find it worthwhile to take the toll highways if they are available on your route. Stop and go driving in traffic is brutal with a large trailer and I try to avoid it as much as possible.
Good point. According to Google the 401 should be quicker in the early afternoon on Saturday than the 407. I'll leave tolls on and let Google decide when we leave just in case. It will be well worth the $27 maximum toll on our rounte to avoid traffic.

If you're familiar with the area we're staying at Bronte Creek Provincial Park (between Burlington and Oakville) Friday night and heading to Ferris Provincial Park Saturday afternoon.
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L V8
Guntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntr View Post
We pick up our new 26BH on Friday, May 20th from a dealer 6 hours away and would like some feedback on our plan.

The whole family (me, wife, daughters 7&4) are heading to my sisters place (1 hour from dealer) the day before to spend the night.

Friday morning we all (including my sister to watch the kids) will head to the dealer for our PDI, etc. Then we are heading to a campground less than an hour away.

We then spend the rest of the long weekend hopping campgrounds, driving no more than 3 hours per day until we get home,

We have lots of camping experience, but not in a travel trailer. What essentials should we bring?

Should I take the main 4-lane highways (100km/h or 60mph) or slower side roads (80km/h or 50mph)? The 4-lane highways take me right through Toronto, but the backroads add about 3 hours to the total drive.

Suggestions?

We are new Jayco 264BHW owners too (though we upgraded from a Jayco popup). Here's a short list off the top of my head (by no means is this all-inclusive)

Dealer may give you this:
-30amp to 15 amp adapter plug (so you can plug your RV into a regular plug)
-water hose for drinkable water
-water pressure regulator
-sewer hose for grey/black water (the supplied one usually sucks IMHO)

Recommeded to buy:
-15 amp extension cord (rec 50+ feet)
-30 amp extension cord (rec 20 - 50 feet)
-disposable gloves for when you empty grey/black tanks
-20 foot upgraded sewer hose (from Camco)
-storage for sewer hose (nobody told us that the bumper is the default storage location, though most good hoses won't fit)
-2nd stabilizer jack wrench (so two people can setup stabilizers at the same time and/or backup)
-external water filter (optional, unless you're picky how your water tastes)
-At least (total) 50 feet of drinkable water hose
-At least 25 feet of non-drinkable water hose (for washing out tanks)
-tire chocks (could use bricks but they are heavy)
-stabilizer pads
-storage bins for your kit (eg. electrical, water, mechanical)

Hope this helps!
Happy_Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntr View Post
Good point. According to Google the 401 should be quicker in the early afternoon on Saturday than the 407. I'll leave tolls on and let Google decide when we leave just in case. It will be well worth the $27 maximum toll on our rounte to avoid traffic.

If you're familiar with the area we're staying at Bronte Creek Provincial Park (between Burlington and Oakville) Friday night and heading to Ferris Provincial Park Saturday afternoon.
Even on a Saturday afternoon, the 401 can be sketchy especially between the airport and DVP. If you do take the 401, get in the express lanes and take it from there, and take the 403 to get up there, not the 427 or DVP.

If you decide on the 407, they don't charge extra for the trailer (unlike on the US toll roads where they charge per axle). Getting back down to the 401 from the 407 means going through some busy city streets and lots of lights unless you take the 404. Warning though, if you are taking the 407 all the way to the end, there is construction as they are working on the extension - right now it narrows down to a single lane at Brock in Pickering - not a big deal but just be aware of it. If you do go to the end of the 407, you can just take Hwy 7 to Brooklin, Hwy 12 north to Hwy 7a and go through Peterborough.

When we picked up our trailer from that dealer, we got the kit that had a drinking water hose, a very cheap sewer hose, water pressure regulator, a roll of RV TP, and 30/15 amp plug adapter. Get a Rhino sewer hose kit from Walmart before picking up...

Seeing that you are staying Bronte, you are going to be 5 minutes from Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart in Burlington so I wouldn't go too crazy worrying about bringing/buying a whole bunch of stuff other than the basics (sheets, blankets, kitchen stuff, broom)...and a sense of humour.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TT - 2017 Jay Flight 32DSBH
TV - 2017 F150 w/HDPP (Payload = 2,241 lbs; FAWR = 3,750 lbs; RAWR = 4,800 lbs)
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Belchertown
Posts: 23
Tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, flashlight, plumbers tape in case of leaks ... extension cords interior, exterior. Inside little carpet for shoes. Picking new one up soon and heard many people say check for leaks after hooked up..leave a towel under sinks and can check if any leakiing.. if so tighten up and good to go. Toilet and under belly.
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
Member
 
Guntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Avonmore
Posts: 47
I guess my concern is picking it up so far from home and then camping right away; the only things we'll have are what we bring with us in the Sequoia. Granted it has a lot more space than the Echo, especially with the third row of seats removed. I also want to avoid the temptation to buy over priced "essentials" from the dealer.

Thanks for the advice on getting through TO. Sounds like towing a camper on the 400's isn't an issue and probably easier than navigating a complicated back-road route even with a GPS.
__________________

__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L V8
Guntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.