Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Plastic Female end small crack through threads

Hello. 2017 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE.
Tonight I noticed a small drip coming from my water tank. It looks as though it has split/cracked through the threaded part of the plastic attached to the water tank where the grey male end screws in that connects to the hoses.
Has anyone else had this issue? I was thinking of draining the water, and then use some flex seal and see if that fixes it. Its not a lot of water, but enough to drive me crazy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	drip.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	43541
Click image for larger version

Name:	drip21.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	43542
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

I would take it apart and remove the nipple that you think is cracked and replace it. I doubt something like Flex Seal will fix it since its under pressure it will just bubble then crack and keep leaking, that type of sealant is great to seal gutters or a screen door boat, etc., but anything under pressure it wont work
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would take it apart and remove the nipple that you think is cracked and replace it. I doubt something like Flex Seal will fix it since its under pressure it will just bubble then crack and keep leaking, that type of sealant is great to seal gutters or a screen door boat, etc., but anything under pressure it wont work
If I am not mistaken, the part that has crack is part of water tank and is like molded to the water tank. I don’t think it screws off. I will look again tomorrow.
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #4

On many such tanks, including mine, those fittings are "spin-welded" into place. But I do also see something that looks like some type of sealant or glue. I have had friends with similar issues to yours that had their tanks removed and repaired successfully, but the cost to do so was significant.

If it was mine, I think I would first try to repair it myself by emptying the tank, blowing the lines out with air, dry and clean the area, then seal that area with J-B Weld or something similar. If the fitting was "split", I would see if I could slip a small hose clamp around the fitting and tighten it gently to prevent it from splitting open any more. Then cover the whole area with J-B Weld (or equivalent) after carefully cleaning the area.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #5

I remember reading this not too long ago, and managed to file it away in the dusty selves others call my brain. Oddly enough, I found it almost immediately with a google search.

How To Fix A Cracked Leaking Water Tank Outlet With Thread & Silicone

I'm pretty sure it was at the bottom of one of our the forum pages. I'd not remove it if you have full access to the crack - rather just empty, dry, and repair in place if you can get to it readily.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
Site Team

The fresh tank is not under any pressure other than gravity. I would attempt to repair it in place using methods already listed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #7

First off if your camper is under warranty take it back to the dealer. This is a manufacturing defect caused by over tightening the screw in fitting.

If you are out of warranty, then remove the fitting that is screwed in. Clean and dry every thing. Screw the fitting back in to spread the crack, squeeze some silicone sealant into the crack, back the fitting off one full turn. Place a screw type hose clamp around the nipple coming from the tank and tighten it securely. Wait 24 hours for the silicone sealant to cure before reconnecting the rest of the plumbing.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMobley232 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the part that has crack is part of water tank and is like molded to the water tank. I don’t think it screws off. I will look again tomorrow.
You may be correct, brain fart on my part was thinking HWT connection for some reason
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote