Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The notes on it say it's not compatible with Netflix or Amazon Prime?
I bought the authentic Apple version of that type device at Walmart, $49 I believe, and it works great mirroring Amazon Prime from my iPad
Campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #22

I went with a Google Chromecast that just plugs into an HDMI port on the TV and allows me to wirelessly stream from my smartphone or computer (Mac or Windows).

You lose the remote control feature of the Roku (but there are a lot of apps that you can download to add a virtual remote). Since I am a DirecTV user I like to run the DirecTV app on my MacBook Pro and then wirelessly stream right from the live TV channels or previously aired episodes. This comes in handy when I am under tree and my satellite dish has no direct view of the Southern sky.

I also like the ability to wireless show photos or videos from my computer on the tv screen.

Barry
2020 Entegra Accolade 37k
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #23

We are full timers, and prefer the privacy and consistency of our own hotspot (ATT) $40.00 per mon.

When we had original Furion TV, we used a $30.00 Amazon Fire Stick that plugged right into the HDMI port on the back. It worked perfectly.

Original TV died, and we replaced with a Visio from Costco. It’s a smart TV, and we are able to access, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. through our personal WiFi without having to use any type of additional module.
Lynn Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #24

Please tell us where to get an AT&T hotspot for $40 a month.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #25

So if your TV has a USB input can you just use your phone's charging cord (Apple or Android should not matter since both cards have USB on one end)?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #26

We have ATT account. The hotspot is wrapped up in unlimited data bundle package for each device which includes:

2 - iPhones
1 - hotspot
1 - GMC Denali WiFi

Total per month for entire pkg = ~ $230.00

We watch A LOT of TV, and have never had our streaming slowed down either
Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #27

Iphone to TV HDMI av adapter: (my tv does not have a USB port)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iphone+to...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 07-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #28

We prefer not to use iPhones as our hotspot so we can independently browse and use our phones without it being connected to the TV
Old 07-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #29
DGW

iphone or ipad to TV

You might also consider the product below. I find that most campgrounds don't have good enough wifi for streaming, so I download from Netflix to my ipad and then play on the TV. I have a Roku in the camper as well and it has some apple streaming apps but I've found them a bit buggy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
I bought the authentic Apple version of that type device at Walmart, $49 I believe, and it works great mirroring Amazon Prime from my iPad
As campy has said, the apple product will mirror Netflix and Prime, etc. I got mine on Amazon for $36 (open box) and it works flawlessly. You can stream anything via wifi, cell, hotspot, or, for those boondocking trips, view any downloaded content you have saved from Netflix, etc.

We primarily use a dedicated, older iPhone for this task and our other multimedia tasks. But any of our iPhones work fine as well.

Look for "Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter".
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGW View Post
You might also consider the product below. I find that most campgrounds don't have good enough wifi for streaming, so I download from Netflix to my ipad and then play on the TV. I have a Roku in the camper as well and it has some apple streaming apps but I've found them a bit buggy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
oops, DGW beat me to it!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I don't own an iPhone, but I believe this is what you need. Then plug an HDMI cable into the adapter to the HDMI port on the TV.

-Michael
I do the same. My iPhone, while unlimited, will slow down after 15 gig of hotspot usage. That is why I like to stream to the TV directly off the phone.
Campergma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #33

Streaming Netflix

Get a cell phone signal booster, get a wifi hotspot or make sure you have plenty of data on your cell phone account and plug in your Amazon Firestick. Use your tablet or phone for a hotspot and stream away.
foreverLSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:20 PM   #34

I do what others have said. I use my phone as a Wi-Fi hot spot and stream using my smart tv, but you can also use a firestick, chromecast, roku, etc.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #35

We tried many of the suggestions here but settled on HDMI adapter to iPhone. We often camp in State Parks with 0 cel service (even with a booster antenna.) Hot spot to the smart TV is hit or miss and doesn't always work when streaming. We download the movies and shows we want to watch from Netflix and Amazon. If I plan to play Blue-Rays I hook up my Playstation.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #36

Get thru Amazon a Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter along with an HDMI cable. Connect HDMI cable to the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter then to the TV. Go to Netflix and Prime Video to download movies onto your IPhone. You need to select HDMI 2 on your TV to watch. If to confusing go to UTube for instructional video.
Ramon Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Flores View Post
Get thru Amazon a Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter along with an HDMI cable. Connect HDMI cable to the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter then to the TV. Go to Netflix and Prime Video to download movies onto your IPhone. You need to select HDMI 2 on your TV to watch. If to confusing go to UTube for instructional video.

I did this with a Samsung S8 prior to my return to Apple. One issue I had was battery life of the phone. The phone had to be open with the screen on as the adapter just passed through whatever the screen was doing. Of course I couldn’t charge it because I was plugged into the adapter. Is this the case with the iPhones as well?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I did this with a Samsung S8 prior to my return to Apple. One issue I had was battery life of the phone. The phone had to be open with the screen on as the adapter just passed through whatever the screen was doing. Of course I couldn’t charge it because I was plugged into the adapter. Is this the case with the iPhones as well?
The Apple adaptor I bought at Walmart has a port for the charging cable so I can charge the phone while playing videos. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
1F998EDE-4B14-49B5-8AFA-8D45EF42B431.jpg  
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
The adapter we are describing allows the phone to be charged at the same time.

EDIT: Happened again, Captain Video already answered!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #40
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bauer View Post
We prefer not to use iPhones as our hotspot so we can independently browse and use our phones without it being connected to the TV

I use the Iphone to browse, and make calls while the hotspot is operating the TV programing. One does not affect the other. The Hotspot is going in the background. We also use our Ipads for browsing. There are plenty of options.

My Verizon plan has unlimited data (no throttling), hotspot in the plan, International and free calling while in other countries, and discounted new phones every 10 months if I want. $50 per month per phone but then it is a business plan that I have kept.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote