Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #61

If you have a fire stick, you have a few options. Pluto, plex.tv, vudu, and there are a few more out there. Most of them are going to have ad in them, but they are free.
kestertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:47 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That’s what we use. We can use the WiFi if it’s worth a hoot or our cells hotspot.
If you have cell service just put Netflix on your phone and screen mirror it to the roku stick
Bapple403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #63

One nice feature on Firestick is video quality. You can set the video quality. At the lower quality levels. You can watch TV with low speed wifi or weak phone signal.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:46 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
One nice feature on Firestick is video quality. You can set the video quality. At the lower quality levels. You can watch TV with low speed wifi or weak phone signal.
also the interface of the firestick is a lot faster than the vizio smart TV. if you have a slow connection the vizio smart tv will not even load hardly, but i can stream fine on the fire stick.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Yeah, a lot of places don’t have WiFi. That’s why I hotspot my phone.
If you have decent at&t cell reception, you can get a at&T hotspot box. We pay about $52/month for it. Use it at home and simply take it with us and put it in 5er when we go somewhere. It links to the smart TV's in the house and the trailer.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:58 PM   #66
CAG

Quote:
We pay about $52/month for it.
And how much for every gig over your limit? That is where they get you. Most of those are a limit of 10-30 gig for your $52 and then they add the $10 or more per gig.

Starlink!

On top of that if you are using your "tethering" you are limited to 10G and then they throttle you. If you are streaming and using screen cast or something similar you might be ok if you have an unlimited plan (mine). Fact is with these cell plans, and I have probably one of the best going they get you in the end.

I have a great plan but it still costs me $10 a day per phone for full phone and internet coverage in other countries while traveling. It was great from Russia but still $20 a day for two phones texting and calling home. They are not going to go out of business providing you with service. Never forget that.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And how much for every gig over your limit? That is where they get you. Most of those are a limit of 10-30 gig for your $52 and then they add the $10 or more per gig.

Starlink!
We have unlimited package. We have wired U-Verse into home office at the other end of the house for $28/mo. and bought the hotspot primarily for the toy hauler, so package unlimited for $79.95. Either will get signal to all TVs and laptops, but we use the hotspot in the living room mostly. Just unplug from charger and move to trailer when we go. In a year and a half we have never had an additional charge.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #68
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
We have unlimited package. We have wired U-Verse into home office at the other end of the house for $28/mo. and bought the hotspot primarily for the toy hauler, so package unlimited for $79.95. Either will get signal to all TVs and laptops, but we use the hotspot in the living room mostly. Just unplug from charger and move to trailer when we go. In a year and a half we have never had an additional charge.

I am paying $50 a month for unlimited everything. $80 might be too much lol. Including world coverage.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:25 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If you have an iPhone, you can get a lightning-to-HDMI adapter. Then you can stream to your phone and display it on the TV without using any tethering data. If you have an unlimited plan, you are then good to go.

There's probably something similar for Android phones.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's the one I installed. Once I installed it, I downloaded the Xfinity app and can log into my Xfinity account and watch all the Xfinity channels live or wifey can watch what she's saved/recorded on the DVR.

Can this be done with a fire stick too? And you can watch whats on the DVR that is at home? Or are you talking about a DVR on he RV?
thecsfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrachrispy View Post
If you have an iPhone, you can get a lightning-to-HDMI adapter. Then you can stream to your phone and display it on the TV without using any tethering data. If you have an unlimited plan, you are then good to go.

We have Verizon with the biggest Hotspot plan they have- 50 GB each phone. We usually burn through that before the month is up when we're on the road.

So it's that easy? I just get the adapter, play something on the phone and plug it in to the tv? I guess I assumed that Verizon would know somehow, and not let that happen.

This changes everything! I'm getting the adapter and trying it! Thank you!
Old 08-10-2023, 07:08 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrachrispy View Post

I looked up the adapters, and every one I found says that they block most pay streaming services, so it wouldn't help us. Do you have a tether that let's you stream Netflix, etc. with your regular data?
Old 08-10-2023, 07:37 AM   #73

I have never seen any lightning to HDMI adapters that block anything much less specific to paid streaming services.. The device is dumb, it just mirrors the phone screen on the TV so it does not care. Can you send links to what you were looking at?

Actually just get this one, it is the actual Apple one, cost double but it will for sure work.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...s%2C258&sr=8-4
Old 08-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I have never seen any lightning to HDMI adapters that block anything much less specific to paid streaming services.. The device is dumb, it just mirrors the phone screen on the TV so it does not care. Can you send links to what you were looking at?

Actually just get this one, it is the actual Apple one, cost double but it will for sure work.

Thank you! I will get one of those.

Here is the wording I saw on several others- "Note that it does not support Netflix, Amazon Prime videos, HULU, Comcast TV, HBO go, Honda motor etc." I guess I looked up the wrong product-
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lig...65&sr=8-5&th=1
Old 08-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post

There was a time a few years back that I had ATT and a package deal where I could stream Sling TV (I think it was Sling TV) and the package was unlimited data for streaming ATT's video service. I purchased one of these adapters and it worked well (but not 1080p) and I could stream TV without using my limited data. In any case, I tried doing this with NetFlix and it wouldn't show on the TV. What I found out is that the Phone itself knows when it is connected to an HDMI cable and the apps are able to determine if it is and either stream or not stream out the hdmi cable. So, it is really not the lightning to hdmi cable that is incompatible, it is the apps that choose not to be allowed to stream from the phone to the hdmi cable. ~CA
Old 08-11-2023, 08:07 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapple403 View Post
If you have cell service just put Netflix on your phone and screen mirror it to the roku stick
Just use Dex in samsung phones newer the s7
No hotspot needed run from reg. phone service not hot spot
Zro13 is offline   Reply With Quote