Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Pleasant surprise from my dealer

So after our first or second trip in our new Jayco 228 (I don't remember) I was washing the awning and noticed some flaws or scratches in our awning fabric that I knew I had not caused. I made note of it and told my wife that I should call the dealer and inform them about it right away so that we could have the awning replaced. Well I am a little bit of a procrastinator and days turned into weeks and weeks turned into more weeks, etc and I had not done anything about it. Then at the beginning of August just days before we were leaving on a 2 week camping trip my wife got a phone call from our dealers service department informing her that our new awning was in.

So here is where the story gets funny. My wife calls me at work and tells me this, I am completely baffled. I do not remember calling, emailing anyone about the awning, but yet somehow they know about it....so I must have? So it is now September 11th and I finally get around to calling the service department back about our new awning (like I said I can be a bit of a procrastinator). The service advisor says yes your awning is in, when can you bring it in? I say tomorrow if that works? He says great, we will see you tomorrow. I then ask him, "by the way, did I call you about my awning?" he says "oh no, it was noted on the PDI that the awning had lot damage".

I thanked him for clearing that up and I can now cancel my doctors appointment for the suspected stroke I thought I must have suffered. Anyways I am really impressed because the damage was pretty minor and could have easily been blamed on me.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

I find it a bit odd that they didn't tell you about it at that PDI, but getting a new awning is a great surprise, congrats. I'd be curious to see what else they found but didn't mention to you. Glad to hear you are well and can cancel the doctors appt.. Ha ha..
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

Yes I think I would have preferred it if I was informed of their PDI findings at the time of my walk thru. However, I will take the new awning. Had a couple stains already that I wasn't able to get off, now I can start off next year fresh.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Considering the many things we see missed here on this forum during dealer inspections, IMO your dealer is a keeper!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

Ya well we will see. They totally dropped the ball 5 years ago with my first trailer, almost did not buy my new trailer from them this time but I gave them another chance and so far I am happy. See how they handle this repair. :-)

Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

They probably did not want the hassle of convincing you that they would really take care of the problem but 2-thumbs up for them addressing it on their own!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Who is your dealer and where are they located? It is always good to spread the word about a good dealer. Too often you only hear about the bad ones.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Usually dealers don't like the hassle of repairing lot damage. From my experience it just seems like they want to prep and ship and move on to the next guy. Good to hear there are good honest people out there. Just make sure when they replace the awning they put it on the right side of the trailer. :hihi:

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9

Haha wolverine, although sometimes it would be nice to have an awning on each side....hmmmm. The dealer is Allstar RV in Sherwood Park, Alberta. One of three local Jayco dealers in the immediate area. Anything I should be watching for? Has anyone had the material on an electric awning replaced?