Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Please Help Me Choose My New Trailer

Hello.
We are not new to RVing, because we lived and traveled the country in an Airstream for years. But, now that we have a teenager and a little one, our needs and wants have changed, and the Airstream just won't work for us anymore. We LOVE camping and really want to continue sharing this with our kiddos.
We've read lots of great things about Jayco but I swear I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to sort through all of the different models to find one that checks off all of our boxes.
We are looking for:
Needs: Bunks, size 6 or 8 fridge, room to sleep at least 5. We'd also like to keep it as short and lightweight as possible because some of our favorite remote camping spots are on the tiny side. We'd also like double axle because we drive cross country quite a bit.
I'm so sorry if this is a foolish thread but I assure you, I have looked and looked for days and days and can't seem to find one that is small/light and has a large enough fridge for us. Is there a Jayco that works for us? I hope so!! Thank you so much!!
Photographermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographermama View Post
Hello.
We are not new to RVing, because we lived and traveled the country in an Airstream for years. But, now that we have a teenager and a little one, our needs and wants have changed, and the Airstream just won't work for us anymore. We LOVE camping and really want to continue sharing this with our kiddos.
We've read lots of great things about Jayco but I swear I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to sort through all of the different models to find one that checks off all of our boxes.
We are looking for:
Needs: Bunks, size 6 or 8 fridge, room to sleep at least 5. We'd also like to keep it as short and lightweight as possible because some of our favorite remote camping spots are on the tiny side. We'd also like double axle because we drive cross country quite a bit.
I'm so sorry if this is a foolish thread but I assure you, I have looked and looked for days and days and can't seem to find one that is small/light and has a large enough fridge for us. Is there a Jayco that works for us? I hope so!! Thank you so much!!
Need to give us your size limit to be of more use to you.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

We are planning on getting a new tow vehicle so the size limit isn't set in stone right now. I mean, ideally I'd love to be under 20, but I don't think that's possible with our needs. So as close to that as possible I'd say. Sorry for not being more clear!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Hello and welcome, I'm relatively new (ordered our first RV a month ago) but been doing a lot of research.

Would you consider a Hybrid travel trailer or is closed ended a must since you guys are used to that with the Airstream?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

We cannot do a hybrid. Thank you for asking! I left that out too! Sorry! :/
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Are you willing to have your bed part of a shared space or do you want it to be completely separate? What about the bunks, open to the rest of the trailer or separate? Maybe a rear slide like this Jayfeather X254?
2016 Jay Feather X254 | Jayco, Inc.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Oh! I like it! That looks great. Thank you. I guess my dreams of having something smaller than 20 feet, with a big fridge, and that can also sleep 5 is asking too much!! And to answer your question we are totally fine with all sleeping areas being open. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

What about the jay flight 19rd? A friend of a friend just texted me about this one and it seems pretty great, too! Off to search the forum
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #9

I have the Jayco X213, king rear hard walled slide, two front bunks, sofa that turns into a double bed as well as the dinette.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

We also have the X213 and really like it. The bottom bunk has a lot of space. Our kids are 6&8. The top bunk is kind of 'small' but perfect for our youngest. You can't really sit up in the upper bunk if that is a factor. And you can't lower the top bunk if you want to be able to fold up the bottom one to store things like bikes (unless you did some big renos to somehow fold the platform and such).
We are not upgrading but the X254 is very similar. I love the idea of the extra bunk space for kids to hang out in.
We have never used the dinette or couch for sleeping on.
Some things I really like in the X213 over the X254: The kitchen has drawers for cutlery. Why the X254 doesn't, I have NO idea. I also LOVE the fact that the closet and 2 drawers and the cupboard are right when you walk into the X213. In looking at other trailers, this seems to be unique. But it is great for keeping the shoe mess at a minimum. And also easy access to jackets/sweaters or things like sunscreen in those drawers.
The tub is small but I have bathed our kids in it a few times. Wish there was a linen closet (so the X254 wins there). We use the tub otherwise for our laundry basket area.
The X213 is easy to tow for hubby and yet gives us space with the bed moving back. I am envious of trailers with a wider mid area with the side slides. Feels way more open. But this trailer worked well for us with the truck we had at the time. We may upgrade at some point but we are in no rush for that.
shillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Sleep four or five in under 20'? Trying to wrap my head around that. Let me get back to you.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The 19(8)RD (23 ft. 1") is a good choice also the Jay Feathers series are lightweight which will fit in your range. Jay Feathers are lower to ground level and the height is also lower. Just go to the Jayco Website look at brochures and floorplans
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

We went through this same type of decision just a few months ago. I think your best bet is the X213 (slide out king sized bed) or something a little bit bigger with a murphy bed. We ended up getting a 2015 Jay Feather 23MBH (murphy bed with bunks). It was a little bigger/longer than I wanted initially, but once you cancel out hybrids it's tough to stay under 20 feet.
GoodOldGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #14

You may want to look at a Fifth Wheel or Trailers in a bunk house style. We love our bunkhouse 5th wheel. It sleeps up to 8 and we're taking it back to the Midwest this July, so the grand kids can join us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographermama View Post
Hello.
We are looking for:
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #15

We own the X254 if you have any questions about it. It is 27 ft tip to tip. We are very happy with it. No rails or ladders for bunks. Something we'd like to add.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Site Team

We have a 19RD, and for the two of us, it's perfect. The optional bunk above the bed will remove the storage space there, but add another place for one (I think) more. The young-uns must be small for the dinette, and couch. Ours is a 2012, and has a 6 cu.ft. fridge. We also use an outside cooler for drinks. We think it's a great floor plan for us, but it's small for a family. I would try to get a personal look at one first.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #17

Please Help Me Choose My New Trailer

Jay Flight SLX 264BHW...dry weight 4700lbs...lots of room

http://youtu.be/DgBjzbrzRUA
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #18

Have a budget in mind?
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #19

Are you looking for new or are you opened to used as well? I just bought a 2007 Jay Flight 20BH. It can sleep 5, a big fridge and a nice size kitchen for the size. Everything that we were looking for and weighing in at just over 4000 lbs. You can find good deals on used units. Ours doesn't even look as if it was used that much. Unfortunately, this floor plan is made anymore. It is the same floor plan as the 26BH but without the queen bed in front.