Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Plexiglass attached to screen door

A friend of a friend had done this and it looked great! Allows light to come in without losing airconditioning or heat. He attached it to the outside of the door with little clips like you use to install a removable storm door/window. Has anyone else done or seen this? We want to do it, but would love a little insight before we start drilling.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

I did this. On the bottom I used double sided clear tape on the outside of the door and stuck the plexiglass on there. On the top inside I cut the plexiglass to fit in the groove on the door. I just bow it out a bit , slide it in and push it up. I put a clip on the bottom center to keep in in place when slamming the door. Only takes a few seconds to take in on or off, and the bottom just stays put.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

. I cut mine large enough to snap into the groove and then used silicone where there was no groove. Has worked fine for the last 5 years and 7 years before that on the other MH, We never take it out.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I used Velcro to attach my tinted panels: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=lexon

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Thank you!
DieselX: what kind of clip did you use?
Grumpy: so the silicone acts as an adhesive? You say you never take it out, but could you? (without it looking messy)or is it basically a permanent installation.
Bob: loved the photos! Looked at the plexiglass yesterday at Home Depot, didn't see any tinted-where'd you get that? I was also looking at the various velcro options, they had some that were "removable" (like a Command product), but those didn't come in clear. I guess with a tinted panel, I could use black.
I want to have the option of taking it out for fresh air. Maybe we'd keep the bottom on all the time and the top would be on and off. The slide thing in the middle section is troublesome. We're thinking we could get one of those adapters for the handle so you never have to operate the slide-then plexy right up to the slide thing.
Do you all agree that 1/8 is best? And did any of you use the Lexon product rather than plexy? I did see both on the Home Depot website-wondering about the pros/cons.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

I found a random piece in my toolbox that has 2 90* bends in it and I used a short sheetmetal screw to hold it in place.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
snip...... didn't see any tinted-where'd you get that? .....snip
I found my tinted plexy at a local plastic's company, but you may also contact a boat dealer or marina, as well as the big box stores (Lowes, Menard's, etc.).

IMO Lexon would be an easier product to work with....., less prone to cracking like the 3/32" Plexy during the cutting process (one reason I would go with 1/8"). At the time of my installation I couldn't find any dark tinted Lexon.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Having 3 dogs I placed plexi glass on the lower portion of the door.I tried using self tapping screws and small plastic clips but found out the screws backed out after a few trips. I then used velcro and it has held up great.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas! I can't wait to do this. We were supposed to go on a short trip this weekend, but the forcast doesn't look good so we're staying home. Maybe we'll install the plexy Since velcro seems to be a good way to go, my husband isn't as nervous about this mod.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #10

I spent 45 minutes in a hardware store looking for the best way to attach plexiglass to the inside of our screen door. And I Found It. What I found was a clear plastic offset mirror clip. Made by the company called Anchor. You can find them in any hardware store. The plexiglas fits on the ledge of the inside of each section. The offset mirror clips slide into the small
opening perfectly and the offset part with the small hole push the plexiglass against the screen. The packages come with a small extra piece that you don't need.

You need to buy two packages which have six clips in each package. On the top panel I use two clips on each side and one in the top middle. On the lower piece I used two on each side and one on the bottom. The middle section I cut the plexiglas wide enough to fit in behind the middle bar and used two clips to fit on the left side of the screen. The remaining middle section fit into the sliding slots and I drilled a small hole to attach a small knob that matched the one on the door where the control panels are. The benefit of this system is that you don't have to drill into the screen door. The clips stay secure and are easily removed to take out the plexiglas. I bought the plexiglas from Lowes and they cut it to the size I wanted for free.
The round part at the top I used a coping saw bought from Harbor Freight for 6 bucks. Ive had many compliments and people think I bought it as a kit. I also ran a 1/8 " weather strip around the the inside edge of the door. I was able to do this project while camping and it has made a huge difference in our trailer. Measuring for the plexiglas is the most important job. Hope this helps.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #11

Wow! Sounds awesome. I'm a bit confused about the middle section. What did you drill a hole in, the plexyglass? Can't imagine the knob or the bar. Our door doesn't have a control panel- unless you mean that plastic sliding thing? A picture would be awesome. Would it be possible to post one? Thanks for your insight
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

I didn't use any clips or adhesive or anything like that. I just cut the plastic big enough to sit in the grooves. Bend it a little to snap it in place and it stays. We don't take it out, but it could easily be taken out and put back in. No modifications to the door or anything. Been that way now for almost 2 years.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	10340Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	10341

Here's a pic of my setup with the clip on the upper door and the clear double sided tape on the outside bottom of the door.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #14

Thank you all so much for all your efforts with the photos and the time you took to give me your fantastic advice! Seems there are many ways to approach this project! It's definitely not daunting anymore. I'll post pics when we get it done