Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
That's what I said a few times. Unless you are buying a 600K coach (even they can have problems) you can't expect much. ..
I didn't buy a $400k Rolls for DW, but still expect her Expedition to come with all its nuts and bolts.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #42

Seems like all manufacturers have a build in failure rate to keep the dealers busy in repairs. Besides they already know most owners will do the simple things themselves to avoid the hassle of taking in to dealer 2 or 3 times!
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I didn't buy a $400k Rolls for DW, but still expect her Expedition to come with all its nuts and bolts.

People forget. Ford Explorers came with exploding tires that killed 250 people. GM cant make an ignition key that stays put. But we still buy them. Jayco is no different. I much rather have a few screws missing on my TT than some of the problems cars can have !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Seems like all manufacturers have a build in failure rate to keep the dealers busy in repairs. Besides they already know most owners will do the simple things themselves to avoid the hassle of taking in to dealer 2 or 3 times!
Thats called planned obsolescence and its a myth. The unfortunate truth is that markets drive overall quality of products. There are 100 to 200K travel trailers but most of these are special order products. The market sets the price that people will pay and within that restriction manufactures build units with options to draw buyers who are willing to spend within that market range. And here we are.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
Jayco could cut its cost by doing it right at the factory, once and done most of the after delivery repairs could be eliminated.Why does Jayco want to pay thousands of dollars to make repairs after delivery, because it is the accepted practice?Jayco needs to work smart. Their approach to production needs some management and attitude adjustment. I don’t buy into economics influencing work pride and ethics and yes Deming could certainly teach this trailer industry a thing or two.
I think the problem is that most rv buyers just accept the problems and don't get them fixed, or they fix them themselves. Therefore Jayco, or any other manufacturer, doesn't absorb the cost of repairing them.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #46

spoon059-

I agree. The only way Jayco will know about problems, is through warranty work. I think the vast majority of us are just going to "fix it", I know that's what I'm doing.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #47

If I can fix it... I fix it. Mainly, because I don't want to deal with the time and trouble to take the trailer on their time table, wait, wait, wait, and maybe finally get it back after a lot of good camping time has been wasted. Plus, when I fix it, I learn something (sometimes) and I take care in exactly how whatever it is gets done since it is mine.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #48

I had the same issue on by Whitehawk 31DSLB, they need to use screws,bolts and brackets. I just spent 2 hours fixing Jayco's shortcomings. I also had the mirror fall down on the back of the Tv 2 hrs after purchase with the same issue stapled not with screws. I know they're trying to keep the weight down but really is it worth the few extra pounds.
DCAMPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #49

Sucks but worst camper I ever bought! Quality is absolutely horrible they should be embarrassed!
dapersico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #50

Try spending over a $111,000.00 for a Jayco Motor Home and having it basically fall apart on the first trip.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #51

After reading this thread, I'm suddenly glad the new trailer I just ordered is coming through a dealer less than 2 miles away...

You guys sure know how to put fear into the heart of a new TT buyer...

:P
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
After reading this thread, I'm suddenly glad the new trailer I just ordered is coming through a dealer less than 2 miles away...

I'm on the other side. All three JAYCO's were basically flawless, the exceptions were vendors products. Norcold, Coleman and Carefreee.

You have to remember JAYCO makes and ships 45,000+ units per year and you usually only hear about the bad ones.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You have to remember JAYCO makes and ships 45,000+ units per year and you usually only hear about the bad ones.
I think it would be useful if one of you who knows how to do stuff like this would select,say, a hundred or more random posters who own 2010/2011 Jaycos, same number of owners of 2012/2013, and '14/'15s, and then ask them each to check the box, "happy/disappointed" in Jayco construction. It might give us a rough idea of how Jayco is doing over time.
'14 Denali XL
Old 08-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I think it would be useful if one of you who knows how to do stuff like this would select,say, a hundred or more random posters who own 2010/2011 Jaycos, same number of owners of 2012/2013, and '14/'15s, and then ask them each to check the box, "happy/disappointed" in Jayco construction. It might give us a rough idea of how Jayco is doing over time.
I'm a 2010 and ( Happy) with the construction.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #55

I have a 2015 Seismic and would say that my 2005 27BHS had better construction.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #56

50% of the folks say it's normal for all RV's and TT to have issues and that you should just suck it up. The other 50% say nope, nada that's just wrong. You (and I) paid pretty good money for these toys and we want it built right the first time. And that includes it's components.
What's ironic is that cars, TV's, phones...all from China and Japan are now pretty much problem free.
Listen Jayco....
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #57

First I need to say that I have being working these last 18 years in the auto industry supply chain and from that I learned that you don't control quality, you make quality. If you say you are controlling "quality" on manufactured products in fact what you are controlling is lack of it...
That being said, there is a reason why Jayco is number 1 besides all the warranty issues (which other travel trailer manufacturers also have):
Jayco understands the market.
And the majority of the market is this: Travel trailer buyers buy price and don't care too much for anything else.
In the 80's you would not find too much people willing to pay $600 for a phone would you? What about $60K for a 1/2 ton Pick up truck??? 5K for a refrigerator??? That makes difference...
Phone and car/pickup truck buyers pay more for technology and innovation, the majority of travel trailer buyers don't!
Even what is sold today as "laminated walls" is in fact a technology that boats used 70 years ago and don't use anymore... And what is used on trailers today is inferior than what was used in boats then because in boats they used to seal all the wood surface with resin (epoxy) so the nails would not pop out (know some?) because of wood expansion/contraction due to humidity variations between winter and summer... The difference? Today a 26 boat cost $80K and 26 trailer $13K (26BHW)... Would you like to have a trailer that would never leak (because it doesn't have joints), be 40% lighter and last twice? Use the technology that boats use today(fiberglass and poliuretane foam vaccum bonded know as sandwich construction).... but would you pay for that 26BHW $45K???
Almost nobody is willing to pay that to have the same trailer you can buy made of wood for $13K....
So I don't excuse Jayco from their flaws but we need to understand that to have profit selling a 26 trailer @ $13K something needs to give and that is processes, material and labor....
Quality process, quality materials and quality labor have a cost...
When I first started looking for travel trailers, I was amazed how affordable some models are... Then I entered in one and swear never buy that model/brand (I'm an engineer). The quality of the materials and construction were really low for my " automotive" mind.... But I was intrigued how Jayco could offer 2 years warranty on " that"....
Then I looked to other brands and models and forums and noticed that it is the same thing everywhere... That's when Jayco became attractive to me again for they have 2 years warranty @ that low price....
I'd love to have a 26BHW built (roof, wall, cabinetry, everything) in foam sandwich as boats are built but I'm not willing to spend too much north of low 20sK so.... there you have it....

my 2c

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post

I bet that the majority of RV owners are super satisfied with their rigs and don't have issues. I have a couple little minor things that will be fixed under warranty when I have the time... but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the heck out of it! I think Jayco makes a great product. It could be better... but I am satisfied. I am sure that you will love your trailer too!

Hope you get it soon and enjoy it!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #59

RACarvalho, good post.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #60
Site Team

An observation I will make is that the entry level value priced jaylflights seem to get the least complaints about quality here on the forum.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote