Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #1

Portable waste tanks

Any thoughts on what brand portable waste tank to buy? After a year of camping and constantly worrying about the level in the holding tanks weíve decided itís time for a portable tank. I am leaning toward the Camco Rhino 36 gallon but canít find one near me to see in person.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

JandS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

I've had really good luck with my Barker.

Anderson WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

We've had the 32-gallon Barker with the pneumatic wheels for 4 seasons now and are quite happy with it.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS85 View Post
Any thoughts on what brand portable waste tank to buy? After a year of camping and constantly worrying about the level in the holding tanks weíve decided itís time for a portable tank. I am leaning toward the Camco Rhino 36 gallon but canít find one near me to see in person.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
I will be watching replies closely since my black tank is so puny. One thing that I worry about is the towability of the tank. I mean, I might have to tow it for a couple of miles to the dump location at Federal campgrounds like those at the Turquoise Lake area. I wouldn't want small, hard, plastic wheels or a flimsy ball hitch.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I will be watching replies closely since my black tank is so puny. One thing that I worry about is the towability of the tank. I mean, I might have to tow it for a couple of miles to the dump location at Federal campgrounds like those at the Turquoise Lake area. I wouldn't want small, hard, plastic wheels or a flimsy ball hitch.
This is why I specifically stated the pneumatic wheels. I've seen those little plastic wheels go by our site and they tend to be loud and a lot rougher ride for the tote.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #6

We have a 20 gallon (that's about 160lbs when full) made thetford that has held up nicely for four years.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
We have a 20 gallon (that's about 160lbs when full) made thetford that has held up nicely for four years.
Iím new to these things and have stuck to FHU sites so far. With it being 160 pounds full, do you hitch it to your TV before you start filing it so you can easily take it to the dump station? Moving that around full seems difficult at best. Thanks!
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Iím new to these things and have stuck to FHU sites so far. With it being 160 pounds full, do you hitch it to your TV before you start filing it so you can easily take it to the dump station? Moving that around full seems difficult at best. Thanks!
I can pull it on a flat surface so there has been no problem getting it from my trailer to my truck. But where do a lot of my camping there is a steep grade to get it to the dump station and there is no way I could pull it by hand up that grade so using the truck is a must.

The tank handle hitches to the ball on my truck and I attach a bungee cord to make sure it doesn't become unhitched (happened once but I avoided disaster ). You have to drive slow (5 mph) so I wouldn't want to have to tow it more than a 1/4 mile or so. Someone mentioned having to tow for a few miles to the dump station. If you have to go that far I'd find something with rubber, snow blower type tires because the plastic wheel, while they have held up nicely, they do make a racket with respect to noise.

The other issue is whether or not you have to do any lifting in order to get the tank close to the dump hole. In my case there is a raised concrete "curb" surrounding the dump hole. The hole is too far to reach from the other side of the curb with the hose on the tank so I have to lift one end of the tank over the raised curb. You're only lifting one end (probably half the total weight of the tank) but it does mean the larger/heavier the tank the strength will be required to lift it. You might be able to avoid the lifting by attaching another section of hose to the tank.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #9

I ratchet strap my Barker to my open tailgate (aftermarket straps to replace flimsy cables) and use my macerator to fill it (gray water only) and then its a nice ride to the dump station not worrying about going 2 miles an hour dragging it.
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I can pull it on a flat surface so there has been no problem getting it from my trailer to my truck. But where do a lot of my camping there is a steep grade to get it to the dump station and there is no way I could pull it by hand up that grade so using the truck is a must.

The tank handle hitches to the ball on my truck and I attach a bungee cord to make sure it doesn't become unhitched (happened once but I avoided disaster ). You have to drive slow (5 mph) so I wouldn't want to have to tow it more than a 1/4 mile or so. Someone mentioned having to tow for a few miles to the dump station. If you have to go that far I'd find something with rubber, snow blower type tires because the plastic wheel, while they have held up nicely, they do make a racket with respect to noise.

The other issue is whether or not you have to do any lifting in order to get the tank close to the dump hole. In my case there is a raised concrete "curb" surrounding the dump hole. The hole is too far to reach from the other side of the curb with the hose on the tank so I have to lift one end of the tank over the raised curb. You're only lifting one end (probably half the total weight of the tank) but it does mean the larger/heavier the tank the strength will be required to lift it. You might be able to avoid the lifting by attaching another section of hose to the tank.
Thanks ó super helpful. We can go a week easy without filling our 32 gal. Black tank, but less than two days on our 43-gal. gray. So I would need a tote only for the gray water. Less ominous in case of an ďaccident.Ē Weíre finding A lot more options in CGs if you can do without the FHUs and just use water and electric.

😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote