Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Positive Customer Service Experience

Just wanted to add to the plethora of positive customer service experiences detailed here. The Rumor has been lately that Jayco is tightening down on their warranty items, and I just wanted to share that Jayco really stepped out of their way to help me out.

TLDR; Dealer is shady, Jayco stepped up.

The last time we camped, our neighboring camper came over to chat and pointed out to me that our spare tire did not match the ones on the axles. The way the spare is mounted, I never even noticed that it was a 5-lug rim while the ones on the camper are 6-lug. Thankfully we haven't been in a situation where we needed to use it.

Not a big deal I thought, we are still under our warranty period. I contacted the dealer we purchased from and their response was "There is nothing we can do for you, you'll have to contact Jayco." Very disappointing to say the least. I contacted Jayco, we emailed back and forth a bit, and they requested pictures. Turns out, Jayco doesn't even use the brand of tire on my spare, and after the technician walked me through it, it appears the rim was previously used on a different camper, and not as a spare either.

After talking on the phone for awhile with their service tech, this is something that usually your dealer should take care of. But in light of the situation, they offered to send me a new rim free of charge. I'll be the first to admit this is something I should have caught during the inspection and I really didn't expect Jayco to do anything, but they stepped up and took care of us.

I can't believe a dealer would put used equipment on a new trailer and sell it as new. Coupled with the poor customer service by their service manager, I'll definitely be buying my next Jayco from another dealer and recommending to friends/family to do the same.
Eric0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

Eric,

Awesome to hear of the great service you received from Jayco!!!

Considering what happened, would you be willing to share the dealer name?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Just have to ask before you rat out the dealer; are you absolutely certain that someone didn't use you as a "Midnight Trailer Parts" depot? Is that positively the spare that the TT was delivered with? Especially if you store in a yard somewhere...

If it was, bet the parts recipient was surprised when the rim didn't fit...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

I had a great Customer Service Warranty experience with Jayco too, I wont get into detail here, I did in other posts, but they went way out of their way for me. I too had to send pictures and prior emails, but in the end I couldn't be more satisfied.

I am glad to read about more great stuff from Jayco, That rim of yours is a crazy story! All the best with your Jayco!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

If someone really wants to know they can message me, otherwise i'll leave it at that.

The camper is stored right next to my house and the nearest neighbor is miles away so I'm pretty sure its been on there since we bought it new. I'm just thankful we never got in a situation where we needed it and were stuck on the side of the highway.

In the end, the fault is on me for not picking it up on the pre-purchase inspection, but I just wanted to let people know the CS at Jayco helped me out when they didn't have to.
Eric0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

I also had a great experience with Jayco customer service. I also won't go into detail as it is listed in other posts, but they really did step up. I asked my dealer about the issue (who has also been great BTW), knowing there was nothing he could do and he verified that. I asked Jayco and they stepped up and took care of my issue promptly and completely. In fact, they far exceeded what I expected. I will say that I'm a VERY satisfied Jayco customer, and my dealer has been great too.

Glad to hear another positive story about Jayco's superior customer service. I hope they can keep it up being under Thor's hammer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0508 View Post
If someone really wants to know they can message me, otherwise i'll leave it at that.

The camper is stored right next to my house and the nearest neighbor is miles away so I'm pretty sure its been on there since we bought it new. I'm just thankful we never got in a situation where we needed it and were stuck on the side of the highway.

In the end, the fault is on me for not picking it up on the pre-purchase inspection, but I just wanted to let people know the CS at Jayco helped me out when they didn't have to.
It is such a sad state that we feel it is our fault for not seeing it during PDI! Glad it worked out in the end!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Checking to verify the spare tire is the right size is not something a new owner should have to do.

That needs to be handled promptly by the dealer and Jayco and an apology issued to you!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Checking to verify the spare tire is the right size is not something a new owner should have to do.

That needs to be handled promptly by the dealer and Jayco and an apology issued to you!
I completely agree. And from OP's comments, it wasn't necessarily the size of the tire so much as it was the bolt pattern? A different size is not optimal, but you can make it work in a pinch. If the rim only has 5 lug holes, and your hub has 6, your SOL. And THAT's not something I would have thought to check on a PDI, especially if the tire is mounted UNDER the trailer (like mine is). I guess we just can't assume anything any more...

Glad Jayco is stepping up, but if I were that dealer, I would have had the tire and wheel replaced immediately and would have begged your forgiveness with hat in hand. Probably would have offered up a handsome credit for my parts/accessories department for your trouble.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #10

Honestly folks, that is a lot of flak for the stealership. Could they be a bit more sympathetic, sure! And it is incredible that Jayco steps up for the customer.

But it may not have been quite so willful on the dealer's part. A TT can spend a lot of time in public locales and after it rolls off the assembly line and is delivered to the consumer. Obviously the used wheel wasn't put on in the factory, but the unit was transported to the dealer (admittedly IN to MI isn't that far), possibly sat on a lot for God knows how long, maybe went to a show or two.

Just like we never would think to check this on our walkthrough, I doubt that it's on most stealership PDI check lists either. Check air pressure in all tires, sure. Check to make sure all tires are matching size and bolt pattern, probably not. No one knows when the swap was made after the factory or after delivery, but I am not THAT surprised that the dealer didn't notice during PDI either (if the swap had already happened), and I doubt that the dealer would have made that stupid a swap themselves as they would know it would be coming right back in when found out. If I was a dealer swapping out parts to get units out the door, I would still transfer from like to like.

I know this is a common problem on SUVs with rear spare carriers, and why you put a locking nut on your spare. The thing sits out there in the open for everyone to see and steal. I put a keyed lugnut on the spare on my old Pathfinder for just that reason. If I had noticed a mismatch like this on my Pathfinder a few weeks after I left the lot without the lock, I doubt I would have been even considering the dealer.

Anyway, I'm just sayin' that I'm not surprised the dealer didn't notice either and would maybe cut them a bit of slack too. Might have been intentional, but if not, he's probably thinking the same thing I am; it could have been stolen/swapped anytime after the unit left the lot. I like to think that folks are still innocent if there is a reasonable doubt of guilt.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
But it may not have been quite so willful on the dealer's part. A TT can spend a lot of time in public locales and after it rolls off the assembly line and is delivered to the consumer. Obviously the used wheel wasn't put on in the factory, but the unit was transported to the dealer (admittedly IN to MI isn't that far), possibly sat on a lot for God knows how long, maybe went to a show or two.
Unless things have changed the spare was usually shipped inside the unit unless it is on a bottom winch.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote