Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #21

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. It seems that maybe I wasn't losing my marbles when I suggested that many or most new buyers are having some quality issues. I know that stuff happens and I'm well prepared to deal with honest mistakes, but shoddy workmanship or poor engineering shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, not at these price points.

For what it's worth, I intend to park my travel trailer (if I do end up purchasing one) and I'd ideally like to make arrangements with a local dealer to do on-sight repairs, but I do have the ability to tow it or could find a friend to do it (I only have a Toyota Tacoma and intend to keep it). Infrequent short trips will be manageable I think.

When and if I get dead serious about this, I'll definitely search the forum for some pre-delivery inspection checklists (or I'll simply ask). The next logical question is, what should I expect to be discounted from retail? Is there a standard (for instance, I feel a new car should be discounted at least 15% from MSRP and I'm usually able to purchase new cars with that or a larger discount. I'm actually thinking that discounts on new travel trailers might be a good bit higher than that (my previous purchase was). I'm a good negotiator and I tend to go to a dealership perfectly willing to put money down and buy a rig today, but I also go in with my research done and a pretty good idea what I'd need to pull the trigger.
GANGGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #22

From my readings high price is no assurance of quality. While I do not have the numbers to back this up, I believe that my 2011 Eagle was nearly perfect because they were not selling many units back then. It seems quality drops, if you follow these forums, when sales are very high and the number one priority is to push a unit out the door.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #23

We have a 2017 23RLSW purchased new in May of 2017. Last year we stayed in it 55 plus nights and about 5000 miles. Thus far this year we have stayed in it 35 nights and plan to hit about 70+ and 8000 miles. Other then the grey, fresh, and black water tank level indicators not working properly (which is common in all campers) we have not had one problem with it. This fall when season is over going into the dealer to be resealed, wheel bearings packed, and indicators looked at. This is our 4th Jayco and we have never had problems with them. I do check it over before every trip and store it in a shed when not in use.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #24

Different brands are not as different as they may seem.
Thor Industries owns:

• Airstream
  • Bison Coach, horse trailers with living quarters
  • Breckenridge
  • CrossRoads RV
  • Cruiser RV (CRV)
  • DRV
  • Dutchmen RV
  • Coleman is owned by Dutchman RV
  • Entegra
  • Heartland RV
  • Highland Ridge
  • Jayco
  • Keystone RV
  • KZ RV, founded by Daryl Zook in 1972 and acquired by Thor in 2014.
  • Livin Lite RV, founded by Scott Tuttle and acquired by Thor in 2013. KZ took over management in March 2016.
  • Redwood RV
  • Starcraft RV
  • Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)
  • Venture RV
I'm sure there are other RV conglomerates too.

I live near Middlebury, Goshen and Elkhart where most of these RV's are built. A lot of these manufacturers use the exact same components from the same sources when it comes to frames, axles, refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, A/C, furniture, sinks, stoves, microwaves, Radio, TV, awnings, doors, vents, windows, lights, etc...
Old 08-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBrad View Post
I've always admired Jayco - and when we finally pulled the trigger (2018 Jayco Bungalow 40BHQS) - I admit I was shocked at the lack of quality. I expected more, I talked to many Jayco owners and they had nothing but praise for their trailer. I did around 2 years of research - there is a crazy amount of information now. I do think Thor purchasing Jayco around 1.5 years ago has caused some changes. I have not yet found a positive change they brought to that purchase!!! The mobile tech that came out to fix my trailer said the number of issues he has seen has gone up. We were specifically talking about brand new Jayco units. I think my experience was just bad timing. The research I had done was based on pre-Thor product, we ordered ours after the purchase. Ordered in August, 2017, it was delivered in January, 2018. I still think Jayco is much better than most. The details are lacking. Test everything at the dealer. We would have done so many things different if we could. Our trailer was delivered dirty. That just made me mad. I know building a trailer is not a clean process - take the tour, you will see. But to deliver the trailer like that is just lazy.

Like I told Jayco - I could have bought Forest River JUNK for $10k less (same 40 foot size/similar floorplan) and have headaches. But I went with the quality product since we hold on to our trailers for a long time (15-20 years). But to spend the extra and still end up with many stupid problems was extremely frustrating. I expected so much more from the company.

With all that said, they did fix the problems somewhat quickly. I heard the wait to get fixed at the dealer is around a month. Our trailer gets warranty service at our site since it is not designed to be moved very often. This is part of Jayco's warranty for the Bungalows.

Your experience may be different - I hope much more positive!! We love our trailer, but the road has had some bumps to get here. I completely bought into the quality expectation they promote. But they have stood behind their product.

Good Luck

Dutch
We are very pleased with our 2017 16XRB - have only had a few problems and Jayco fixed them although we had to be more assertive than we should have had to be. We ordered a family-owned Jayco. The next day they sold to Thor. We received a Thor Jayco. It had plastic wheel wells instead of galvanized steel, a very big selling point, and no dinky fan in the bathroom vent. Very disappointing, but we really enjoy our little hybrid and have put that bad experience behind us. It has given us no problems in two years and 17,500 miles. I'd consider Jayco first if I bought a new trailer.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #26

I have driven my TT for 20,000 miles in 2 years & have had no major issues. Only one were in the beginning when I purchased it & all was fixed under warranty.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #27

Here is a brand that is thought highly of new and used. Also check out their sister company ORV
All good units. Camping World (of all places) is actually starting to carry them at decently discounted prices.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #28

Camping World last place to buy an RV!Have not read to many good things about that group.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #29

Did anyone respond to his question about percentage off list price? If so I missed it. Begin negotiations at minus 30%.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #30

Go 40% gotta figure all the grief you will go through the next two years to get warranty completed.Plus what year campers are you looking at?Can go online make offers to every dealer who carries your camper. Saves lots of time, dealer made little difference to us dollars did! Best I can figure are camper depreciates $300 per month!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #31

Thanks for the info and insight all.
GANGGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Go 40% gotta figure all the grief you will go through the next two years to get warranty completed.Plus what year campers are you looking at?Can go online make offers to every dealer who carries your camper. Saves lots of time, dealer made little difference to us dollars did! Best I can figure are camper depreciates $300 per month!Thanks
Couldn't believe they are actually selling Arctic Fox now. Pretty safe brand that you won't have to worry about going back to them for warranty work.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I have driven my TT for 20,000 miles in 2 years & have had no major issues. Only one were in the beginning when I purchased it & all was fixed under warranty.
How in the world do you DRIVE a travel Trailer???????

I have heard of towing a travel trailer BUT never actually DRIVING one!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote