Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #1

Potential new TT purchaser....

I purchased my first and only TT nearly 20 years ago. It was a 29 foot Jayco bunkhouse and by and large, it was a decent unit that I enjoyed with my wife and 2 young sons until we ended up trading it for a piece of real estate that we really wanted several years later. We've talked about purchasing another camper over the years, but have never really gotten around to it. Now that we're approaching retirement (at least I am, my wife may have several more years to go), we're discussing getting another.

In all likelihood, we'd have it delivered to a campground on a lake, build a deck for it and leave it there without hauling it around the countryside. My boys are mostly grown and have their own lives, so most of the time it would just be two of us using the camper. I think a 24-26' unit with at least one slide-out will be adequate. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I'm also of the belief that for 20, 30, 40 thousand dollars or more, that you should probably get quite a bit.

I have to admit that not having looked at trailers in many years and just starting to do some research on them now is a bit frustrating and scary. There was always some junk out there, but if you paid a moderate price and did your research, you could expect to find a decent product from any number of manufacturers (Jayco offered a pretty good product for the price at that time). I've spent most of the day today looking at this forum and a couple of others and I'm horrified that there seems to be an attitude that for anything less than Airstream prices, you're going to get junk and you can fully expect to find a bunch of quality control issues with almost anyone's product that you look at. Has our manufacturing industry really fallen off that quickly in this country? Am I really to believe that I could find a mid-sized travel trailer with an MSRP of $30,000 or more and fully expect it to be junk?

Maybe I'm making a mistake and I don't really want a camper anymore. And yeah, I know that I could always go out there and drop $80,000 and get a decent unit, but that's not what I'm looking for, even assuming I could afford it (I can, but I'd almost assuredly prefer to spend my money in retirement on family, travel, boats and other things).

Just really frustrated and disturbed by what appears to be a willingness to accept a poor quality product in what I believe to be a reasonable price range. Am I wrong?
GANGGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

As with most things, people only tend to post online when they have a problem, so you see thread after thread on here about people's problem units.

Yes there are issues, but in general I don't think all modern RVs are junk. You see hundreds of participants on this forum who love their units and usually only have minor issues if any, or are just really happy "modding" their units. I have bought 2 recent Jayco units, a pop up in 2016 and a 2017 travel trailer early this year. We have used our unit half a dozen times so far and I have had zero issues with it so far. Everything works and we couldn't be happier. Fast forward a few years from now and we will see how the wear and tear from my family weighs on it, but I just plan to be as diligent as possible and as proactive as I can be to make sure I take care of our $30k plus investment as best I can. We only recently got into Rving, but for what they are, I don't know how you can offer all the amenities they offer and be able to pull it down the road if they were built to last a long time.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the response JP Brown. I'm glad to hear that not all believe that the new campers are all junk, but even if a fair percentage believe so, it's still a bit disconcerting. There should be a rigorous inspection process and problems should be rare, not to be expected. I think that I am fortunate in that we likely won't travel much, if at all, with ours and because our kids are young adults (no grandkids yet), we probably won't see our unit getting beat up the way that some do. That said, it doesn't mean that I'm OK with flimsy or with poor quality control. Thanks again for the response.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

If you search around, you'll find that you are not alone wondering about quality issues.
You'll also find that many/most of us are satisfied with our Jayco trailers.
You'll also find there are some owners that are dissatisfied and some of them post often about their issues.
You'll also find that many quality issues, and warranty repair issues, are dealer - not Jayco - issues.
Reading closely you'll also find more that a few cases where some buyers neglected to do a thorough PreDeliveryInspecion before leaving the dealer resulting a ruined camping trip etc. and blaming that on Jayco, or the dealer, not doing a thorough inspection.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea that I am very pleased with my Jayco TT and the dealer that has done the warranty work - fit and finish items - quickly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #5

Thanks oldmanAZ, much appreciated. I am the sort to do a fair amount of research before purchasing (though I don't mind pulling the trigger quickly either if I think I've found what I want), and I'm also pretty good about doing my own inspection before taking an expensive product. That said, if there's something wrong with the trailer, it's the fault of the dealer AND the manufacturer and shouldn't be blamed on the purchaser who failed to do an adequate inspection (and who may not have even known what they were looking at). A bit of knowledge and a proper inspection may save the buyer a real headache if there IS something wrong with the camper, but there shouldn't be something obviously wrong with it, that's why companies do inspections of their own and have QC checklists.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Unfortunate in travel trailers what you pay may have no connection to what you end up with!My camper is three years, that's how long its take's to get everything fixed under warranty! I think if everything works in what your looking at that's a good start! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #7

I would disagree that quality issues are a dealer issue, they are most certainly a manufacturing issue as there build and assembly the product. If you buy a new truck and it has quality issues do you blame the dealer? No! You blame the car company and rightfully so.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

TT Quality

I have a 2017 JayFlight 23RB. It was what I would call an inexpensive trailer if you consider a similar sized Airstream. We have had ours 15 months and have around 10k miles and 50 camping days in it. We have been mostly pleased with our purchase. If you are a handyman used to doing your own maintenance then you will probably be happy. If you have to take it in to get the dealer to fix every little thing then you will be unhappy. To get a repair done at the dealer takes way too long. We purchased at what is considered the best Jayco dealer in the DFW area and a repair takes at least 2 weeks after your appointment date which is 30-60 days out from today. I find it much easier to fix most things myself. So far I have fixed multiple plumbing leaks because the fittings vibrate loose. Had some loose wiring connections, loose hinges, loose bolts, you get the idea. If I had of taken each of them into the dealer then he would of had my trailer 50% of the time. Mostly what I do is tighten things up. I also realize that it is built cheaply and as such I treat it gently. It has met my expectations.

Good Luck and enjoy retirement,

DW
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the responses everyone. As for doing repairs on my own, I'm more than happy to do them, but tightening up loose fittings and screwing in loose screws and bolts is about as far as I'm willing to go for two reasons. First of all, I'm simply not that handy with certain things, and secondly, I don't want to bit** something up, thereby having the dealer give me a hard time or void the warranty when I have to subsequently take it to them.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #10

If you are afraid of Jayco, don'y buy it. I am happy with my 2015 195RB. We have had no problems with it aside of the mattress and the bed support which was easy to fix. Mattresses are a very personal thing. Good luck with anything you choose. The more complicated your trailer is, the more chances things can go wrong.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
If you are afraid of Jayco, don'y buy it. I am happy with my 2015 195RB. We have had no problems with it aside of the mattress and the bed support which was easy to fix. Mattresses are a very personal thing. Good luck with anything you choose. The more complicated your trailer is, the more chances things can go wrong.
My concern isn't with Jayco any more than with any other brand of trailer. As I mentioned, I've been on multiple boards and the suggestions about poor quality seem to be universal. That said, it does seem as if the reputation of Jayco, even among many of its owners, doesn't seem to be what I remember it to have been when I purchased my first camper. I'll keep doing my research and appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Like I said, I have had no troubles, thus no warranty work. It is something that you want to research. Delays for repairs, distances to a repair center, and any reluctance for warranty repairs are very important.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #13

I had a 01' 29ft Jayco, probably very similar to your old one.

We started looking back last fall and the variations in floor plans alone will make your head explode.

I personally had a burr in my saddle for a new name or brand, or one of the hundreds of brands that have changed hands 3 times in the last ten years.

I was very happy with Jayco and was admittedly jaded that direction.

I went to a local dealer here in Dallas where a buddy had bought a trailer and they told (possibly BS'd me) on something that has sat with me.

They told me they used to sell 6 brands and about 2 years ago they had some sort of soul searching and did an analysis of what gave them and their customers headaches (and I assume what was proftable) and decided to punt all but Jayco and Airstream.

PRetty strong statement, if its in fact true, so that pushed me more to Jayco.

We ended up buying a 2018 324BHTS and have been very happy with it. I was prepared for a large "punch list" of stuff after the firstg 15-20 nights in it, and aside from 2 speakers not working, and the PITA Gerard hot water heater, this thing has been above my expectations in fit and finish.

So...take that for whatever its worth...lol.

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #14

Welcome, we love our x23b as I sit on the couch typing this. Couldn't be more relaxing. Just came in from sitting around the campfire. All the amenities of home on wheels.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #15

Greatly appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. I think that human nature leads us to promote those products which we own (go to any web forum for any product (campers, fishing rods, bicycles, etc.) and you'll see this), but I am more inclined to stick with Jayco or at least to start my search there because I had a good experience with my last one. To my recollection after several years of ownership and use, I replaced the converter under warranty, and I really don't remember ever having anything else go wrong.

If there are negative issues though or especially recommendations about products within the line that are exceptional, I'd still love to hear those.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #16

I've always admired Jayco - and when we finally pulled the trigger (2018 Jayco Bungalow 40BHQS) - I admit I was shocked at the lack of quality. I expected more, I talked to many Jayco owners and they had nothing but praise for their trailer. I did around 2 years of research - there is a crazy amount of information now. I do think Thor purchasing Jayco around 1.5 years ago has caused some changes. I have not yet found a positive change they brought to that purchase!!! The mobile tech that came out to fix my trailer said the number of issues he has seen has gone up. We were specifically talking about brand new Jayco units. I think my experience was just bad timing. The research I had done was based on pre-Thor product, we ordered ours after the purchase. Ordered in August, 2017, it was delivered in January, 2018. I still think Jayco is much better than most. The details are lacking. Test everything at the dealer. We would have done so many things different if we could. Our trailer was delivered dirty. That just made me mad. I know building a trailer is not a clean process - take the tour, you will see. But to deliver the trailer like that is just lazy.

Like I told Jayco - I could have bought Forest River JUNK for $10k less (same 40 foot size/similar floorplan) and have headaches. But I went with the quality product since we hold on to our trailers for a long time (15-20 years). But to spend the extra and still end up with many stupid problems was extremely frustrating. I expected so much more from the company.

With all that said, they did fix the problems somewhat quickly. I heard the wait to get fixed at the dealer is around a month. Our trailer gets warranty service at our site since it is not designed to be moved very often. This is part of Jayco's warranty for the Bungalows.

Your experience may be different - I hope much more positive!! We love our trailer, but the road has had some bumps to get here. I completely bought into the quality expectation they promote. But they have stood behind their product.

Good Luck

Dutch
DutchBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #17

We are very happy with our Jayco 2016 28BHBE.
I (as well as others on this forum) recommend a very through PDI. My dealer service person that was doing the PDI with us started complaining how long we were taking. (They only allow so much time he said) I asked him if he personally tested everything and inspected the roof. He said no. So I told him then it is my job to do so BEFORE I put the money out. I also told him he is free to leave and someone will come and get him when we need him. Believe me, I was very through. Found several things and it was fixed right away. Even made them vacuum out all the building dirt in the floor vents that I found. (YES, I carried a flashlight during my PDI).
Because of the things I found BEFORE delivery, and getting the issues fixed. I had very few and minor issues pop up during the 2 year warranty period.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #18

Most RVs from most manufacturers are of reasonable quality, unfortunately price has little to do with it.

The ultimate frustration for most owners however is the warranty process. Dealers are way to busy to keep up, so they resort to things like only providing warranty service to those who purchased from them. Which then irritates buyers because they want to freedom to purchase the best deal available, but receive service from their local dealers, as you can in the automotive industry but it simply doesn’t work like that in RVs.

Whether or not you are fortunate to get a well made unit, you have to be a tinkerer and accepting of the amount of maintenance and repair required to keep an RV in good condition.

My TT is 6 years old and we use it about 20 nights a year. I regularly inspect and work on my TT, every trip there is some small repair. Recently I had to re-wire the tongue as the ground became corroded, which turned into using much heavy guage wire and connectors. Then I realized there was some
Rust that needed to be knocked off and painted. Two trips ago it was a water pump that was leaking so I chose to replace it vs rebuild it. I’ve had many plumbing and light fixtures go bad and need replacing. Of course there is the constant inspection and touchup of all the seals and caulking.

So my point is although I don’t have the serious issues some here report, slide motors, soft floors, plumbing leaks, etc...I do still have to work a lot to keep it going. If that will frustrate you then simply pass on re-entering the world of RVs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #19

We purchased a 2017 23 MRB in Nov of 2016 and have been very happy with it. Have you ever purchased a new home, I used to build them. A new home comes with a minimum of a 1 year warranty because the industry knows that "things happen." Jayco has a 2 year warranty; a policy that states that they have faith in their product. We searched for 6 months prior to purchaing our MRB (our first trailer ever). Do a complete pre-delievery inspection (if you need a check list a few of us will be happy to give you ours) prior to delivery. Pick a dealer that has a good reputation for service, though if you park it you are going to have to rely on "mobile repair." Many of us support Jayco because we believe it is a quality product for the price. The 23MRB listed in the $28K range at list price when we purchased it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #20

Welcome to the forum. As you've received a lot of great feedback on this thread and you sound like a smart guy I'll keep it somewhat short and not too redundant.

I'm right at the 2 year mark with my first RV and, overall, have had a fairly good experience. I will add that I feel that I had to lower my expectations pretty quickly.

I've had to deal with several plumbing leaks that were due to both poor engineering and installation. These have taken me away from important time from my family and our precious vacation time. This has given me great frustration.

I am pretty handy and do enjoy modifying and improving the camper. This gets me into some of the less visible areas of my trailer. I see the routing of wiring, plumbing as well as how things are fastened (or not fastened!!) that make me simply shake my head and sigh. I've learned to be more proactive and carry some spare emergency parts to combat potential issues.

I believe that these things that I see and have to deal with must be industry-wide and probably cover a large price-point range as well. I say this as I've looked at other brands and various models only to see some pretty sloppy things that are under cover.

The way that you intend to use your upcoming trailer is different than many of us and you will be able to avoid the "rolling earthquake" and all of its associated issues that come with it. I would imagine that this will also make it difficult to bring it in for service so I'd make sure that you find a highly recommended Mobil tech as a resource.

I agree that you will mostly hear about the bad things that people have to share and your experience can be much different.

Lastly I'd recommend (as I'm learning for myself) that not to get too caught up in the weeds of research and opinion and get out there, jump in and enjoy it.

I'm really having a ball with the RV and the places and memories that we get from all of it.

Best of luck,

Jeff.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote