Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #21

You know carefree awnings have a wind sensor option that can be added. Cost was around $250 it has saved my owning a couple during beach thunder storms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #22

Forgot to add how this sensor
works,
I when wind blows hard enough your awning starts to flap,the wind sensor sense this vibration and auto rolls up your awning,it has worked good for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #23

Same problem

Picked up our new 2017 287bhsw today. Never owned a tt before. During walk through, ask mechanic if I should retract the power awning in the rain. He says, and I quote," It has an auto dump feature that dumps the water off if it gets too heavy." Bring trailer home, set it up in the backyard, starts to rain... whole family wants to watch this awning in action. First auto dump, it works perfectly. Collapses, dumps water off the side. Next time it fills, one side collapsed, other side buckled and bent the U channel adjustable arm. Tried to bend it back and it broke in two. Had wife retract the awning while I held the remaining arms in place. Exact same arm that broke on yours. First day of ownership, first warranty phone call... lol. Am I seeing a pattern with these? I'll update with my warranty experience...
Shaggydelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggydelic View Post
Picked up our new 2017 287bhsw today. Never owned a tt before. During walk through, ask mechanic if I should retract the power awning in the rain. He says, and I quote," It has an auto dump feature that dumps the water off if it gets too heavy." Bring trailer home, set it up in the backyard, starts to rain... whole family wants to watch this awning in action. First auto dump, it works perfectly. Collapses, dumps water off the side. Next time it fills, one side collapsed, other side buckled and bent the U channel adjustable arm. Tried to bend it back and it broke in two. Had wife retract the awning while I held the remaining arms in place. Exact same arm that broke on yours. First day of ownership, first warranty phone call... lol. Am I seeing a pattern with these? I'll update with my warranty experience...
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Jay Flight.

Bummer about your awning! Sounds like the 'auto dump' is not a good feature. We've experienced an 'auto dump' and it seemed it dumped a lot of water quickly when it wanted to... on someone. We dip one corner so there are no sudden waterfalls.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #25

Mine auto dumps but I still put ratchet straps on each side just for wind and if it's going to rain I crank one end down just in case. It's nice to have a dry spot outside in the PNW.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #26

2009 29BHS G2 power awning, has gas struts, has dumped flawlessly.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 AM   #27

Wow.
SacoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #28

I've seen other styles of auto dump awnings that work flawlessly. They just drop the corners a bit and the water runs off of the end. This Carefree Longitude is a different design. I imagine that it being 18' long doesn't help. But the mechanic said to watch out when it dumps because it might dump 40 gallons at a time... that seems like a lot of weight. Maybe the strut should be a little lighter rating and let it drop at half that weight.... I don't know. Something is apparently wrong with mine if it couldn't dump twice without breaking... lol. No wind, light rain.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #29

So.... after a week and a half of the dealer arguing with Jayco, Jayco has walked away from this awning issue. Even though it's an awning that is supposed to dump rain, they say that it should be retracted in the event of rain and that this was an act of God. Therefore they will not cover the replacement of the awning arm. Lucky for me, my dealer has stepped up and is covering the cost of the replacement, with an aftermarket arm of course... lol. Do you think that Jayco has realized that this is an issue with the 18' Carefree Longitude and doesn't want to be on the hook when every single one of them fails in a light rain?
Attached Thumbnails
20170713_180042.jpg   20170713_180009.jpg   20170713_175951.jpg  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
Wdy

My wife and I have bought our first New camper we are not new to camping have also bought used campers in the past. This time we went with a Jayco 2018 232RB it is two weeks old all ready had it back to the shop to fix the fridge got that fixed . Now the awning will roll back in will roll out but does not want to roll back in have to work with it will start to roll back and then stops I am now having to get my wife hold the switch in and I have to turn the roller by hand
To help get it back it is the Solera awning with the speakers in the arms.
Anyone had any trouble with theirs ? Thanks for your help
TW / NC
Wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #31

Sounds like a motor issue. Warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #32
BJR

Well we lost our battle with autodump this weekend. I am going to ask the dealer about covering it under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
20170805_103153.jpg  
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #33

I have a Care Free on my Jayco, Very easy to adjust so it slants some when open. I always close it when it rains or the wind starts to blow. Good luck but I doubt if the dealer will do anything to fix it, they will probably say it is your fault and not a factory defect. But, if they do make sure you post it, we always hear about BAD dealers. would be great to hear about one that actually helped a customer.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #34
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I have a Care Free on my Jayco, Very easy to adjust so it slants some when open. I always close it when it rains or the wind starts to blow. Good luck but I doubt if the dealer will do anything to fix it, they will probably say it is your fault and not a factory defect. But, if they do make sure you post it, we always hear about BAD dealers. would be great to hear about one that actually helped a customer.
Agreed - I'm fully prepared to order an arm if it comes down to it.

We slant ours (more now than ever!) In our case it was a late night monsoon (apparently) that took it out. We heard it but underestimated the volume but will need to be more careful.

PSA: Don't stay in site 13!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #35

Don't know if it was covered earlier in the thread, I didn't read the whole thing. But our power awning dump feature works just fine. Though I've only "used" it once.

We were at the beach, had a popup T-storm, I forgot the awning was even out. It was set to be a sunny weekend, so I didn't bother giving it my normal water-shedding pitch. I woke up to hear a loud "thump" and remembered with horror what I had done. Just as I opened the door, it dumped again (on my truck). I quickly pulled it back in just after it dumped. Since then, if the awning is out, I will give it a pitch, and I usually pull it in at night.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #36

Same Exact issue - auto dump - auto crash

Our Carefree awning tried to do an "auto dump" of some light rain yesterday (less than 1/2") of rain, and as the water shifted to the one side the awning support arm ripped right off the camper and folded in half. Poorly made and poorly installed. This whole thing is supported by 4 1/4"x 1 1/4" bolts, which just ripped out of the stud.

Jayco Dealer says: "An act of God, and not covered by warranty"
Waiting on insurance now and having the dealer install a new piece of junk arm so I can use my awning to shade me from the sun as it is worthless for anything else.

Very upset by this crummy craftsmanship.
https://flic.kr/p/XYAWAa

MJJPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote