Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Post Power Converter issues PD4045/PD4060

Hey folks, it appears as thou the PD converter has failed on our 2012 Jay Flight 32. I am currently looking to buy a replacement. We are currently setting up for the season and have the battery as backup and shore line for now to acquire working AC/DC power. My question is this. Would the converter affect my Jensen AWM970 from full power? The clock is illuminated but power will not turn on. I have checked the 15a fuse located at the rear of the unit it is fine also did a reset on the unit still nothing. Just wondering if its a reflection from power converter failure.
Kimberlypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

This does not sound like a converter failure.
With shore power plugged in AND your battery DISCONNECTED do your lights work?
If they do your converter should be OK.
If you DO NOT have lights with the SHORE POWER CONNECTED and the BATTERY DISCONNECTED the converter may well be bad. Before throwing in the towel and replacing the converter be sure you check all the breakers (AC to the converter) and fuses (DC to the lights.

If you are counting on the battery for back up until the converter is replaced be aware that battery is NOT going to last long. Maybe one trip IF you are very conservative with your lights.

If the Jensen will not turn on but the fuse is absolutely known to be good the Jensen itself has likely failed. The converter is not likely related to this issue.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
This does not sound like a converter failure.
With shore power plugged in AND your battery DISCONNECTED do your lights work?
If they do your converter should be OK.
If you DO NOT have lights with the SHORE POWER CONNECTED and the BATTERY DISCONNECTED the converter may well be bad. Before throwing in the towel and replacing the converter be sure you check all the breakers (AC to the converter) and fuses (DC to the lights.

If you are counting on the battery for back up until the converter is replaced be aware that battery is NOT going to last long. Maybe one trip IF you are very conservative with your lights.

If the Jensen will not turn on but the fuse is absolutely known to be good the Jensen itself has likely failed. The converter is not likely related to this issue.
Thank you Chuck . Yes we do not have power without the battery and just shore power. I will recheck the fuse in the Jensen but I fear it has failed. This will be our second Jensen first unit was covered with warranty this one will not.
Kimberlypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

This could also be a sign of battery faiulure big time. If the battery shorts out a cell the converter really has to pump in DC current to try to get the battery voltage up again. Need to check your battery fluids as they may have been boiled out on you...

You need to disconnect shore power and read your battery terminals.. If the battery is full it will read 12.6-7VDC... When you plug into shore power the battery voltage at the terminals should jump up to 13.6VDC or whatever other mode the mulit-stage smart mode charger is in... 14.4 etc...

If you disconnect the battery and just run off of shore power your DC voltage output of the converter/charger should read the 13.6VDC or maybe it may drop down to 13.2VDC... I have found the battery bank connected all time when on shore power or generator is a good thing for the converter/charger unit as it acts like a big capacitor keeping the DC voltage levels stable...

Need to have one of those inexpensive multimeters from LOWES WALMART around just to measure things with like this... The cost less then $20... One time one of the hardware stores gave you one for free with purchase of other items.. Harbor Freight I thing it was...

I use the PD9260C converter/charger unit with no issues... Works great... Have never been around the PD4000 series converter/chargers.. The PD4600 series is much like the PD9200 series... If you have two batteries in your bank you need to have a 45AMP charging system... Four batteries you really should have a 80AMP system But I manage ok with the 60AMP system I have... Just takes a tad longer to charge starting out with just 60AMPS verses 80 Amps I guess...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote