Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Power Cord

I need advice: I say that you need to pull out the entire power cord to hook up to the campground power supply; husband says no only pull out what you need and leave the rest in.

He gets frustrated trying to push the cord back in when breaking camp.

What say the group?

Debraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Mixed reviews. I had that type power cord on 2 different campers for 8 years and just pulled out what I needed, never had a problem.

I have heard the other side of the coin and being from an electronics background, a coiled wire with power going thru it can cause extra heat and induced voltage. However in fact, it never caused me any problems, except I liked to pull it all the way out from time to time to clean it and to get the kinks and tangles out of it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

If running the AC or a couple elec heaters you could overheat the coiled up cord. Maybe or maybe not, but there is a simple solution. I am in to simple solutions. Cut off the cord leaving maybe 5 ' on the outside. install a male plug on the short piece. Then install a female plug on the other end of the longer cord. You can order the replacement plugs on Amazon for less than $20. You now only have to stuff the short cord and can coil up the longer one that is now a 30amp extension cord. Make sure you leave 5' or more so you can tuck it under the TT to keep the plug connections out of the weather.

Problem solved. I left enough on the short cord that I can plug in my Honda 2k for a quick overnite at Wally world.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
If running the AC or a couple elec heaters you could overheat the coiled up cord. Maybe or maybe not, but there is a simple solution. I am in to simple solutions. Cut off the cord leaving maybe 5 ' on the outside. install a male plug on the short piece. Then install a female plug on the other end of the longer cord. You can order the replacement plugs on Amazon for less than $20. You now only have to stuff the short cord and can coil up the longer one that is now a 30amp extension cord. Make sure you leave 5' or more so you can tuck it under the TT to keep the plug connections out of the weather.

Problem solved. I left enough on the short cord that I can plug in my Honda 2k for a quick overnite at Wally world.
Nice!
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

There's Bassdogs 'short cord' solution and some others are replacing the entire the 'hole' and going with a detachable cord.

I heard that heavy loads on a coiled cord might over heat the cord. So, when running the air conditioner, we make it a practice to pull out the entire cord. Otherwise we pull out enough to connect to the site power.

BTW, when we break camp, it is the DW's responsibility to stow the cord so I never complain about it.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

More information on this thread

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-35793.html

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
There's Bassdogs 'short cord' solution and some others are replacing the entire the 'hole' and going with a detachable cord.

I heard that heavy loads on a coiled cord might over heat the cord. So, when running the air conditioner, we make it a practice to pull out the entire cord. Otherwise we pull out enough to connect to the site power.

BTW, when we break camp, it is the DW's responsibility to stow the cord so I never complain about it.
Just noting that the new connection port and detatchable cord is substantially more expensive and much more of a project to install. Some go that route because they think it looks nicer on the side of the unit. For me simplier and cheaper is better and totally takes care of the problem of stuffing a long cord.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip... For me simplier and cheaper is better and totally takes care of the problem of stuffing a long cord.
... plus, going the short cord route, you can decide how long of a cord you want before you must grab the extension cord. So if you have a generator and the short cord, you may be all set. With a detachable cord, it might leave you with many feet of unneeded cord to tie up or lay on the ground.

On the other hand, some like the idea of a detachable cord to seal up the hole the cord runs through. I'm not fond of the hole, but so far it hasn't been the problem (ants, etc.) I feared it might be.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

The overheating coiled power cord is a myth. Unless you keep your power cord neatly coiled around a ferrite core.

Pull out what you need and stuff it back in when done.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #10

At the provincial parks here in Canada, you pull out all of your available cord, then grab your 50' extension cord, and then grab your 25' extension cord, plug them all together, realize the power post is still 6 inches too far away, hitch up and move the rig a bit closer, then plug in.