Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
I would agree with that Wags999. I don't always use it. If I plug in the 30, and it falls out, I go to the adapter. I have yet to do this and find a worn out 50. I feel it is better, and SAFER to do this than use the worn out 30A, as with the poor connection, I am sure there is lower than optimal Voltage for my AC compressor etc, and I feel safer knowing there is a solid ground connection. Ironically, when searching the web for issues, the ONLY one I found was a fire in a cord compartment when a 30A to 50A was used in a large MH. I do NOT understand how that happened at all. It sounded to me like they used a 30A cord, and then had the adapter to their 50A shore cord in the compartment, and it shorted. But again, with the 30A CB on the pedestal, I don't get it???
I think if you contacted the campground management or maintenance people they could and would change the receptacle immediately and then it would not be an issue. I have done that at every campground I have worked at, not all that often as it's typically not an issue, but did have to do it about a week ago. Someone previously in that site broke part of the receptacle and hence the plug was not as tight as it should be. Much better option than using a 50 amp plug on a 30 amp cord.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Interesting...

I never thought about pulling out the entire cord. I just take out what I need to reach the outlet... is this a problem? The rest of the cord stays coiled in it's galvanized steel box. Several of the units we looked at even have cord winders built in to the motorhomes, and they advertise only pulling out as much as is needed.

It's very confusing...
Back to the subject . . . I was told by my Outback dealer to always pull out all the cord when plugged into shore power - especially when running the A/C. That cord gets pressed warm and when it is stuffed into a small compartment, it gets even warmer. So I coiled up the unused cord, tied it up and hung it from the pedestal, to keep it off the ground. (Just one more way for insects/ants to use the cord as a highway into my trailer - was a big deal at Disney World campground!)

It's not a problem now with my 50 amp trailer. The cord isn't stored inside a compartment.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I think if you contacted the campground management or maintenance people they could and would change the receptacle immediately and then it would not be an issue. I have done that at every campground I have worked at, not all that often as it's typically not an issue, but did have to do it about a week ago. Someone previously in that site broke part of the receptacle and hence the plug was not as tight as it should be. Much better option than using a 50 amp plug on a 30 amp cord.
More than likely they'd send out a summer staffer and he'd bend the prongs of your 30 amp plug.

(Too cynical)?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
More than likely they'd send out a summer staffer and he'd bend the prongs of your 30 amp plug.

(Too cynical)?
Yep... I am a summer work kamper...but... I was also a licensed electrician. Typically a campground will have someone capable of performing minor electrical, carpentry, plumbing with no problems.

At times you do need to get "inventive" as to how to handle a situation. To make long story short, at one campground, which was very old, we had issues when the temperatures got very high (over 100) which happened rarely. I had to actually hold bags of ice on the breakers in the main panel to help cool them down. They were in the direct sun, with freezer/refrig compressors in the room behind them...totally horrible installation...but we got through the situation and were able to do a longer term remedy with turbo fans in the roof etc.

Not all work kampers just sell over priced wood LOL

I would give them a chance to make it right, before writing off the campground.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #65

I think wags999 is right in some campgrounds, and others, not so much. Last trip,about 7 weeks ago, in May, took my Attitude toy hauler to MO to dirt bike with my son. Day 1, 13 hours drive to Amarillo RV Ranch. Check in at 7pm local, raining, 30A falls out. They seem well staffed, and very nice, but I figure they are not coming out and change recep in the rain, and I am tired, ready for dinner, a beer and bed, so I use adapter. In fairness to them, they may have done it, and I did not give them a chance. Very nice park and staff. After a week in MO, headed home. 13 hours drive, stay at the only RV park in Santa Rosa NM. Checked in about 6:10, and the guy at the desk seems pissed that he has to be there after 6p. Don't think anyone else is working anywhere at the park. 30A is loose. First I remount the door on the pedestal that fell off, then use the adapter.
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #66

Quote:
I think wags999 is right in some campgrounds, and others, not so much. Last trip,about 7 weeks ago, in May, took my Attitude toy hauler to MO to dirt bike with my son. Day 1, 13 hours drive to Amarillo RV Ranch. Check in at 7pm local, raining, 30A falls out. They seem well staffed, and very nice, but I figure they are not coming out and change recep in the rain, and I am tired, ready for dinner, a beer and bed, so I use adapter. In fairness to them, they may have done it, and I did not give them a chance. Very nice park and staff. After a week in MO, headed home. 13 hours drive, stay at the only RV park in Santa Rosa NM. Checked in about 6:10, and the guy at the desk seems pissed that he has to be there after 6p. Don't think anyone else is working anywhere at the park. 30A is loose. First I remount the door on the pedestal that fell off, then use the adapter.
Man Tim, you have bad luck...stayed at three parks and two of them had bad receptacles. To be honest, I have never run into a bad receptacle in all the years I've traveled. Some better than others, but none my EMS would not work properly using the 30 amp receptacle. Hope you told the campground about your problems so they could fix it before the next poor soul arrived.

Lots of good dirt bike areas a lot closer to Az then MO! LOL.
Hope you had a good time.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #67

Lots of good dirt bike areas a lot closer to Az then MO! LOL.
Hope you had a good time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Love Chadwick MO! Lots of riding in the winter NW or NE of Phoenix, but too hot at the end of May. Greenies have gotten too much closed in Flag, Not wet enough in Southern AZ, where I am, until July thru Sep. But Taylor Park CO will be just right in about 3 weeks!!! All primitive there, so as long as my EU2000i recep is in good shape, I should be fine. LOL!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #68

Just a comment to warn others who have taken the time to read a majority of the posts in this thread.

There is MUCH mis-information being passed in this thread. The lack of understanding of electricity is obvious in so many posts. There are too many wrong ideas to address them all.

Advice: Whatever you find in this thread you need to verify though other sources.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just a comment to warn others who have taken the time to read a majority of the posts in this thread.

There is MUCH mis-information being passed in this thread. The lack of understanding of electricity is obvious in so many posts. There are too many wrong ideas to address them all.

Advice: Whatever you find in this thread you need to verify though other sources.
Just a common sense piece of advice . . . if you aren't sure, don't do it. And don't assume the people camping next to you have the definitive answer, either. Better safe than sorry is my motto.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #70

Quote:
With all due respect, I for one, have a B.S. in Engineering, and the understanding of risk involved, and I will continue using my adapter. I do understand that a short in the cord could happen upstream of my 30A breaker, but I also know that I could be killed driving to the campground, or get struck by lightning while I am there. I also know that I could take my dog bone, plug it into a 50A service, take my 30A to 15A adapter, and plug it into my dog bone, then plug in a 15 A lamp cord, with bare ends, short out the 14 ga lamp cord bare ends, and the 50A breaker would trip.

As far as code and legality, in our litigious, nanny state society, with this "disaster waiting to happen" product, which I can pick up at every RV store in the country, not to mention Wal Marts etc., or order from a plethora of online stores, like Amazon, and is made by large companies with deep pockets like Camco and Progressive, and Nada. With all of our social media and online content, I can't find one lawsuit, fire, or disaster story related to the adapter...
This post is one of the better posts in this thread. It is based on facts. Not what somebody heard somewhere. Good going Tim L.

There is nothing wrong with using an adapter when the occasion calls for it. Better to use the adapter and plug into a solid 50 amp receptacle than use a worn 30 amp. A loose 30 amp receptacle will generate heat and melt the plug. This will also result in low voltage to the camper while this connection arcs and builds heat. The 50/30 amp adapter is a wise choice here. You are still limited to 30 amps by the camper breaker. If the camper service cable were to short (extremely unlikely) it WILL trip the 50 amp breaker in the pedestal.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #71

Quote:
This post is one of the better posts in this thread. It is based on facts. Not what somebody heard somewhere. Good going Tim L.

There is nothing wrong with using an adapter when the occasion calls for it. Better to use the adapter and plug into a solid 50 amp receptacle than use a worn 30 amp. A loose 30 amp receptacle will generate heat and melt the plug. This will also result in low voltage to the camper while this connection arcs and builds heat. The 50/30 amp adapter is a wise choice here. You are still limited to 30 amps by the camper breaker. If the camper service cable were to short (extremely unlikely) it WILL trip the 50 amp breaker in the pedestal.
Amen. This confirms my thoughts, too. My understanding of the dogbone type of 50-30 amp adapter is that it drops off one leg of the 220V 50 amp supply so only 110V 50 amp is passed on to the trailer. The 30 amp breaker in the trailer will protect and prevent more than a 30 amp draw. I had to do this on a couple of occasions with my last trailer, using the adapter provided by my dealer (when I bought the trailer). If someone wants to be extra cautious, then that's what they should do, for their own peace of mind.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #72

Going back to the Original Post, it was concerning melted plugs on shore power cords. My bet, also as TNCHuck100 states, is that worn loose 30A receps are the root cause! Poor contact = high resistance (heat) and arcing.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #73

Although I do agree with some of the statements made about using adaptors I will stand by my statement that I would never use a 50 to 30 adaptor. Even as was stated that it would be "extremely unlikely" and that doesn't mean that it is 100% unlikely.
Also by using a 50 to 30 there is a potential that up to 50 amps could be placed on a wire designed for up to 30 amps. I realize that this may be a little different but it will better explain Imagine if you were to wire up a 30 amp clothes dryer in your house using the correct #10 wire but you used a 50 amp breaker. Would the building inspector pass or fail the installation. You would fail in that you used a 50 amp breaker to protect 30 amp wiring.

What I do at a campsite is my own doing and knowing I am taking a risk is my decision. However I would never tell someone else to do it or that is Ok. My advice would be based on electrical codes and safety. Again the chances may be very slim but the potential is always present.

Plus I am not afraid to leave the house but my biggest fear is from those things and people I have no control over that continually do dumb and stupid things And to be perfectly honest those other people may have the same to fear about the dumb and stupid thing I may do
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #74

One final point. There is no condition that would would put more than a 30 amp load (key word is LOAD) on the service cable. The camper breaker would trip. The only condition that would exceed 30 amps on the service would be a short (< 1 ohm) and that would trip the pedestal breaker. A 30 amp service cable could carry 50 amps for a few minutes without a problem.

Now the next consideration is code vs safety vs practical application (the real world).

bedrck46, consider the following: You are at a campground 100 miles from home. It is hot and you must have the air conditioner. You do not have a generator. The 30 amp receptacle is worn and loose. The 50 amp receptacle is fine. There are no other sites available. The campground cannot or will not get a maintenance man to replace the receptacle.

Choice one: Use the adapter.
Choice two: Tell the wife and kids it's a tough break but we are going home.

If you leave the campground will not refund your camping fee.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #75

I don't think anyone here is trying to tell anyone else what to do. It is a decision that has to be made by the individual. You can throw out all the hypothetical situations you want to justify your position. It's still an unapproved practice according to the NEC .

The NEC prohibits the practice for a reason. I've never found anything in the NEC that didn't have a purpose based on safety of users and installers.

That being said do what you want. I do think you are doing a dis-service to others to recommend they do something that may or may not be harmful. If you want to take the chance that's your choice. I just don't think you should tell others to do so.

And somebody thru out their EE degree as if that made them some sort of expert. I've met EEs who couldn't recite Ohms law and who couldn't wire an outlet properly. Throwing that out to imply you are some kind of expert on the subject further encourages the less experienced and less educated to do something that all electrical jurisdictions consider wrong and illegal.

Just my opinion. Do what you want.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #76

Two things: Could you please give a citation for the NEC prohibiting the use of the 50A to 30A RV adapter.

Also, please read more carefully. I said I have a B.S. in Engineering, and I understand the risk. NEVER said EE. Industrial Engineer, and I can use Ohms law, and the power pie.

Illegal? Really? But still made and sold by the millions, with not one documented example of a problem.

Is it 100% safe using it? No. I think I made that very clear. But like I said, you have a FAR FAR greater risk of being killed on the way to the campground. About 50,000 a year die in auto accidents in the U.S. alone. We all take risks every day.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #77

Just my opinion . . . but I think we've beat this one to death. There are those who will and those who won't. So lets just say we agree to disagree.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #78

Quote:
One final point. There is no condition that would would put more than a 30 amp load (key word is LOAD) on the service cable. The camper breaker would trip. The only condition that would exceed 30 amps on the service would be a short (< 1 ohm) and that would trip the pedestal breaker. A 30 amp service cable could carry 50 amps for a few minutes without a problem.

Now the next consideration is code vs safety vs practical application (the real world).

bedrck46, consider the following: You are at a campground 100 miles from home. It is hot and you must have the air conditioner. You do not have a generator. The 30 amp receptacle is worn and loose. The 50 amp receptacle is fine. There are no other sites available. The campground cannot or will not get a maintenance man to replace the receptacle.

Choice one: Use the adapter.
Choice two: Tell the wife and kids it's a tough break but we are going home.

If you leave the campground will not refund your camping fee.
What would my choice be Well for one I stated I will not nor do not own a 50 to 30 adaption So that's no option
And being I have no kids or wife that isn't a option
and being I paid for my camping with a Credit card if they refused to refund I would call the Credit card company and cancel payment That would then cause them to make repairs not only for me but for the safety of their own equipment.

But as to a refund I doubt that they would refuse a refund if that could not provide what they offered and that be a site that had the service I required If that was the case I am sure they would receive a call for service from me until the repair was made. Lets get real about a situation as you state.

And being I started camping a long time ago and camped for many years without A/C If I wanted to stay there then the G/F and I would just have to sweat it out.

My real option would be to offer to install a new receptacle for them as I am more that capable to do so. And that is something I have done once in the past. And again it would be for my safety and for the safety of their equipment.
I also worked for a KOA campground here in PA a few years ago. and was also involved with a campground/resort in West VA.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #79

Quote:
Two things: Could you please give a citation for the NEC prohibiting the use of the 50A to 30A RV adapter.

Also, please read more carefully. I said I have a B.S. in Engineering, and I understand the risk. NEVER said EE. Industrial Engineer, and I can use Ohms law, and the power pie.

Illegal? Really? But still made and sold by the millions, with not one documented example of a problem.

Is it 100% safe using it? No. I think I made that very clear. But like I said, you have a FAR FAR greater risk of being killed on the way to the campground. About 50,000 a year die in auto accidents in the U.S. alone. We all take risks every day.
You tossed out your degree (regardless of the specific degree) to imply you somehow had some special knowledge that the average person does not. What I said still stands regardless of the field of your degree.

Anybody who knows anything about the NEC knows it is against code to protect #10 wire with a 50 amp breaker. And it is illegal to do so in a jurisdiction that bases their laws on the NEC which 99% or more do. Even those jurisdictions that do not base their laws on the NEC will prohibit protecting a wire with a breaker rated at 160% of the wire ampacity.

And if this discussion was about auto accident risks I would maybe or maybe not discuss auto accidents. This discussion is about an electrical circuit that is improperly wired and protected.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #80

Nuff said, you guys. Chill please.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote