Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Power drain while storing

I picked up my trailer this weekend after a few weeks away and the trailer battery was dead. All the lights had been turned off, but something was drawing enough power to kill it. I notice the iRv stereo thing always some display on. What else might be drawing power?

I bought a battery disconnect switch to avoid this problem in the future, but I'm curious about what the problem was. Any suggestions?

Also, would you put the disconnect switch on the + or - lead? I was planning the - lead but I've read conflicting information both ways. I have the marine rotating switch kind, not the blade over the terminal type switch.

Thanks,
Mike
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Your convertor will typically draw some power, as will the gas detectors. I would put the cutoff switch on the positive lead. You could also just pull the fuse that is close to the battery if it has one. That would have the same effect.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Yep. Like djtho1 stated, the propane leak detector, your converter, and the sound system all draw a little power when you have the battery connected. Over a couple weeks, it can completely drain your battery, which will shorten its lifetime if you do that over and over.

However, the safest way to install the battery disconnect is to disconnect the ground wire, which produces little, to no arcing or sparking when you disconnect and gets you the same result - no drain on the battery. Minimizing the arcing/sparking is important, due to flammable/explosive fumes that could be present in the battery box and/or the propane tank cover, which will probably be in the vicinity of your disconnect switch.

just my safety-minded and experienced opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote