Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

Power Inverter Advice

Hello all, trying to find a way to watch TV and maybe power a blu ray player using my batteries. We boondock a lot and I run the generator for long periods of time just to watch TV late at night. It looks like what I need is a power inverter from what I'm reading online. Anyone install one of these on a Jayco 28BHS or something similar?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

My Greyhawk has a built in inverter which I use at times for my TV. The problem is it sucks the batteries (I have 2 12 volt). I added 200 watts of solar which helps the battery charging but it just isn't enough to keep up with the inverter draw. Since I mostly dry camp, I needed something more.

What has been my life savior was the purchase of a small inverter/generator. I bought a 2200 watt Ryobi that I plug the shore power into. This unit will run all day on a gallon of gas and save a lot of runtime on my 4k generator. It is worth its weight in gold.

When I temporarily need more power I can just fire up the 4k, which it will switch over to automatically, and then turn off the big genny when done. The power is automatically switched back over to my shore power connection that is connected to my still running small generator.

Small generators are not that expensive and will save a lot of maintenance on your big generator.

Since I do have solar I will run my TV during the day while monitoring my battery voltage. When it falls low enough I will fire up the small generator so it can now take over the 120 volt items including the converter which will do a good job of recharging my depleted batteries. I don't typically let them drop below 12.3 volts.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My Greyhawk has a built in inverter which I use at times for my TV. The problem is it sucks the batteries (I have 2 12 volt). I added 200 watts of solar which helps the battery charging but it just isn't enough to keep up with the inverter draw. Since I mostly dry camp, I needed something more.

What has been my life savior was the purchase of a small inverter/generator. I bought a 2200 watt Ryobi that I plug the shore power into. This unit will run all day on a gallon of gas and save a lot of runtime on my 4k generator. It is worth its weight in gold.

When I temporarily need more power I can just fire up the 4k, which it will switch over to automatically, and then turn off the big genny when done. The power is automatically switched back over to my shore power connection that is connected to my still running small generator.

Small generators are not that expensive and will save a lot of maintenance on your big generator.

Since I do have solar I will run my TV during the day while monitoring my battery voltage. When it falls low enough I will fire up the small generator so it can now take over the 120 volt items including the converter which will do a good job of recharging my depleted batteries. I don't typically let them drop below 12.3 volts.
I have the Honda 2200 (converted to propane which is awesome). I was just hoping I could get away with using that. Every time we're done watching TV at night I have to go outside, unplug the trailer power cable and turn the generator off. I was hoping I could get away with not having to do that anymore.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
I have the Honda 2200 (converted to propane which is awesome). I was just hoping I could get away with using that. Every time we're done watching TV at night I have to go outside, unplug the trailer power cable and turn the generator off. I was hoping I could get away with not having to do that anymore.
The nice thing about my small Ryobi is that it is bluetooth connected to my phone. I can monitor fuel level, power level, run time, etc. on my phone. BUT, the best feature is that I can shut down the generator with my phone without having to go outside.

I do have the generator chained to my rig so it won'e easily walk off.

Jim

Old 07-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The nice thing about my small Ryobi is that it is bluetooth connected to my phone. I can monitor fuel level, power level, run time, etc. on my phone. BUT, the best feature is that I can shut down the generator with my phone without having to go outside.

I do have the generator chained to my rig so it won'e easily walk off.
That's very convenient. I'll have to look that up although I love not having to use gas anymore. I was always told that you have to unplug the power cable before shutting the generator off. Is that not true?
PhillyPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

I contacted Progressive Dynamics on Friday and received their response to my switching between generators with a small load attached. They said:

"You should have zero issues with what you are doing. The contacts should not get damaged at all."

That being said, it is not a bad idea to unplug before turning off. I just never do it. Besides, you don't unplug the big generator when you shut it off. I think the generators disconnect their power output when they shut down rather than letting the voltage decrease until it is gone. This would be just like yanking the plug. I am hoping they work that way.

Usually when I fire up the little generator I will have the cord unplugged (since I am standing there anyway) and let the generator get up to full speed before plugging in. That way it doesn't stumble with a sudden load. I then put my unit in eco mode so it idles down when the load decreases.

Had a built-in propane generator in my old Lance Camper which I used for 25 years without a problem. That was a nice generator, but so are my current ones. I believe as long as you stick with a good brand you should be OK.

Jim