Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

Power problem - 2005 23B

Hello
I'm getting ready to take a week long trip and have been doing some maintenance on my 2005 Jayfeather 23B. I noticed the battery wasn't holding much of a charge, so I serviced it (topped off water, charged). However, I mistakenly installed the battery backwards and reversed the terminals. (Another thread on this forum talked about the white=ground, black=hot) I had to replace the 30A fuze at the battery. Everything seemed fine after I got it installed correctly, including shore power.

Yesterday I went to turn on the fridge and there was no power. Then I discovered that several different areas of the trailer do not have shore power and the battery was dead. Checked all breakers and no trips. Checked fuzes and all good.

Here's what isn't working:
Refridgerator
Slide motor
Lights
Tongue jack
Water pump
Water heater

About the only thing that IS working are the electrical outlets, microwave and air conditioner.

It seems like everything that's not working can operate on 12V. Did I toast the converter with the battery mistake? I checked the fuzes on the converter and they were fine.
dfix16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2

I'm stumped. This almost HAS TO BE a blown fuse. There are at least 3 fuses and one circuit breaker involved here.

1. A circuit breaker feeds the converter.
2. There is a main battery fuse and a reverse polarity protection fuse in the converter and an inline fuse near the battery.
3. If the battery has been COMPLETELY dead in may not recover.

You might check the condition of the fuse holders for corrosion.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

I've been out troubleshooting all morning and found the problem. I slid the entire fuze box out so I could have better access to the wiring. All of the sudden the power started flickering. I narrowed it down to the standard 110v cord that plugs into the back of the fuze box coming from the converter. Jiggling the cord where it meets the plug would induce the flicker. it's a pretty tight space back there and I think the cord got kinked. I'm going to cut the cord back some and replace the plug. I'm pretty confident this will do it.
dfix16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

I would start with the battery lines and trace them back into the TT, there may be an inline fuse.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

The trick on checking batteries for proper terminal connections it to always find the stamped "NEG" or "-" stamped into the battery case and make sure this is the cable that is going to frame ground real close to the battery. Using the colors of cables will get you in trouble as some color schemes have BLACK for positive with WHITE for ground and then it might be RED for positive and BLACK for grounds. So the best thing to is look for where the NEGATIVE GROUND cable is connected to the trailer FRAME GROUND and make sure this cable goes to the NEGATIVE terminal of the battery. Once it is correct alot of folks will mark the battery cables with something to identify which is which. Dont get use to the way they are connected on the battery as the next battery you may purchase even from the same battery company may have the bettery terminals in a different location on the battery - Just look for the stamped "NEG" or "-" and you will always be ok.

As you found out it only take a little spark when you hook them up backwards. This is most cases blows three fuses.
Two will be on the Power Distribution Panel board where all the fuses are located and will be labeled "REV POLARITY" or something like that. There will also be a IN-LINE real close to where the battery is installed. This may be right next to the battery terminal cable or maybe just under the trailer frame where the 7-way trailer cable goes to. I have seen some inside the electrical box where the 7-way cables wires are connected to the trailer chassis wires too.

It is always a good idea to have a small inexpensive digital multimeter in the RV TOOL BOX. This is available from LOWES, WALMART, AMAZON and any number of auto parts stores. It only cost $7-$20 and really takes away the quessing where you have lost power. Looks similar to this.

photo from google images
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote