Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
When I purchased our TT in Oct 2012, our local dealer didn't have it on the lot so we considered ordering it. That dealer gave me a Jayco order sheet that listed MSRP and costed every option separately. Later that night, on the Jayco web site, I used thier build tool and got a totally different MSRP. The next day I called jayco to ask what actual MSRP was and they emailed me a new order/price form with once again different pricing. Finally, a week or so later we drove a couple hundred miles to a dealership that had a unit on thier lot so we could see it in person...guess what the "the window sticker" had once again different prices. So what I found was 4 documents/tools, all created by Jayco, for 2012 model year TTs that showed a different MSRP for identically optioned 26BH.

Hence my opinion, MSRP is being manipulated to assist in making sales...and Jayco, intentionally or not, is supporting this practice.
MSRP is a guage IMHO. When we shopped our current unit and past unit I looked at several manufacturers comparables and priced each. This process was one that spanned several months and at the time when I started the RV industry was going through some consolidation and overstocks were being liquidated at very low prices. By the time I was ready to buy I had a very good idea of what I wanted and wanted to pay for it. In the end the Jayco was cheaper based on all the added bonus features and quality which we felt in going through each of the competitor units.

Targeting a price based on MSRP and certain percentage off is not something we went in with trying to do. What we did was pick three units we liked and then weigh them agasint one another. What I was able to find was three dealers with price points less than $1000.00 apart for each of the comparable units. Trust me I looked hard for the best deals on each regardless of distance just to be certain. This made the decision very easy after that. Some start right from the get go with just looking at one brand, but expanding your search to do comparables gives you a very good sense of what a good deal is when you find it based on your research.

In the end a good deal is one that you feel good about and leaves you with the knowledge that you did the best you could in the market you were in at the time.

On the 3 year old unit. I would look at kelly blue book, craigslist and a google search for that model and see where it's trading. Once you leave the lot it's used and if you want or need to sell the unit that's what it's worth regardless of how long you owned it. It will be a used 3 year unit.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
How much did the Jayco MSRP prices vary? (not dealer MSRP)
It varied by a couple thousand dollars. I'll take a look this weekend and see if I still have the actual paper work and report back exact numbers.

I want to be clear, my point is that you can't exclusively look at % off MSRP as the guage to making a deal. It certainly can be one consideration, but comparison shopping between several dealers is the only true guage of what is a good deal. Especially with the more expensive units. The 26BH we purchased is very common, relatively inexpensive as far a TT goes.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #23

Our in-state dealers were thousands above RV Direct but I wanted a bricks and mortar dealer with a good history. After emailing and getting quotes on the very specific trailer and options from a few dealers, and not getting a response from some others, Thompson Family Rv in Iowa beat everybody's price. They've been family owned for over 50 years and get great reviews. There was no pressure and we did the whole deal via email and a phonecall or two. Plus, the much lower delivery charge paid for our trip to pick it up. Kind of got a free vacation. Of course, we're retired and time was not a factor. You don't mention your circumstance, and we certainly couldn't have left our business (that we built) to do this deal 20 years ago.

We haven't had major problems and if we did, we might have had some trouble using a local dealer. But we did drop it off for a minor repair once and that small Jayco dealer didn't delay us at all.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #24

I got the quotes from Indiana Rv Connection and they are very good compared to my local dealers. This will give me some levarage hopefully in dealing with the local dealers or I could order from the Indiana dealer.

Jayflight 32bhds with all options MSRP $ 33600 Indiana $ 23600

Eagle 314bds with all options except themal windows and solid surface counter top but does include the 2nd A/C unit MSRP $ 39159 Indiana $ 27159
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #25

If you are in South Ga it is well worth your time to check out RV Direct in Orlando.
We home base in Tallahassee, Fla and bought our Jayco at RV Direct in Orlando, got about %35 off MSRP on a unit that had been on the lot less than 90 days.
Got treated great and delivery went smooth at RV Direct, would buy from them again.
Just have to be firm and hold your ground when dealing with dealers, my wife got up and went outside when I was talking to the salesman.
She said they will never go for that price, in the end they did.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
If you are in South Ga it is well worth your time to check out RV Direct in Orlando.
We home base in Tallahassee, Fla and bought our Jayco at RV Direct in Orlando, got about %35 off MSRP on a unit that had been on the lot less than 90 days.
Got treated great and delivery went smooth at RV Direct, would buy from them again.
Just have to be firm and hold your ground when dealing with dealers, my wife got up and went outside when I was talking to the salesman.
She said they will never go for that price, in the end they did.

I did get a quote from rv direct on a trailer that they have in orlando that does not have all the options that I would like but the discount they offrered was only about 25 % off. The MSRP was $29907 and their price was $22220.

I would rather stay closer to home in case of warranty issues . I would hate to buy a new trailer from some one far off and then have problems with a dealer nearby due to not buying from them.
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #27

I did not get a quote, got the MSRP, did my homework and went to them with the offer, they accepted
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #28

It all depends on your area and dealer as to how "hungry" they are... Here RV's are selling like hotcakes and they laff when you talk discount...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote